[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 316x480, n325845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
863726 No.863726 [Reply] [Original]

After disliking it at first, liking it a little after a few chapters, I'm right back to disliking it.

The writing is bad. Sub-par if you're feeling generous.

It's not like, intolerable or anything. Certainly not Meyer, but I just don't like any of the characters and the plot is pretty much Baby's First Mindfuck. I guess I'll put it down for a while and pick up The Road or maybe try and finish Lolita.

I may end up giving it to my cousin. He ate up World War Z and he's the kind of guy who thinks the X-Men cartoons from the 90's were high art, so I'm sure he'll find it stimulating at least.

What did you /lit/erati think of it? Doesn't look like it's for me.

>> No.863732

The book came today per mail. Havn't started it yet though.

>> No.863736

Shit, man, I liked it. But I knew what I was in for, so I didn't set my expectations very high. I was using it as some light reading between novels of greater substiance, and for that it worked wonders. Reading JDatE is like sitting down to watch Starship Troopers or something - you just turn your brain off and let it wallow.

>> No.863740

I've been interested in reading it, but haven't gotten to it, mainly because my only method of acquiring it is through Amazon, and that shit is expensive for a book.

Also, read The Road. I loved it. It is and was, in many ways, like no other book I had read before. And the lack of quotation marks or anything really - in my opinion - does help keep the unremitting flow nicely.

>> No.863744

>>863740
Yeah, was just starting to dig into The Road right now. The way it's narrated, no quotes and a sort of bird's eye perspective on the events of the story, really gives the reader a sort of detached, shell-shocked perspective on the whole thing. Very appropriate.

>> No.863750

>>863736
I think I COULD do that if I wasn't starting to hate Dave and John.

I mean I got this terrible mental image of John being Ethan from ctrl alt del and Dave being... whoever the straight-man is in that comic, and from that point on I had a very hard time being endeared by either of them.

>> No.863751

I read it when it was freely available on the internet. Not really bad, but not good either. Just straight white-bread-no-crusts bland.

>> No.863752

>>863740
You're welcome.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780312555139/John-Dies-at-the-End

>> No.863753

the road sucks you guys are fags

>> No.863766

>>863753
>The road sucks you. Guys are fags.

Fixed.

>> No.863782

>>863752

Well, it's still 17 euros. I could get myself fifty hookes and an eight ball for that money, and still have enough left over to get myself the gold-plated head of Michael Jackson.

>>863753

Oh, /lit/, I am disappoint.

>> No.863960

goon literature is not literature