[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 176 KB, 453x604, 1436496094411.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9652131 No.9652131 [Reply] [Original]

Do you think someone should be considered an intellectual even if they don't know mathematics up to the level of basic abstract algebra and analysis, or physics up to the level of basic quantum mechanics and general relativity? Is just reading a lot of postmodern philosophy enough?

>> No.9652159

>>9652131

>implying someone couldn't learn these themselves if they devoted effort to it, especially if they are intelligent

Yes, to answer your question. All they need to do, if they want to learn such things, is pick up a book about them. You also don't need to be a genius or even up to speed on the algebra or various other maths in the field to make an assessment on it if you can understand the concepts of those maths. You just need to be, what's that? An intellectual?

>> No.9652186

>>9652159
I didn't imply that, but you won't really internalize all of the concepts unless you study them to the degree that you would need to pass a university course. Otherwise you don't actually understand them.

>> No.9652193

>>9652131
depends on what you consider to be an "intellectual"

according to my perception, yes, it is, if you have a decent understanding of it and can grasp the most important concepts (post-modern is a classification that's generally attributed to philosophers by other people, the great majority of the so called "post-modern" philosophers don't identify themselves as that)

but if you have a positivist, capitalist (basically the same hehe) or just generally pragmatic view i guess no, only those "TRUE SCIENTIFIC!1" people could be

but keep in mind that no one can know everything and that if you dedicate your life to something it's very hard to have an understanding of all the shit there is along with your specific field

so in that case no one could really be an intellectual. most of those STEMfaggots dont even know the basics about the philosophy behind their science and/or epistemology so

>> No.9652231

>>9652193
IMo a true intellectual should understand the sciences to the degree I describe (along with basic chemistry and biology), but should also be deeply familiar with the canons of literature, visual art, music, and philosophy, and also world history

>> No.9652327

>>9652231

this fantasy is only possible if you are ignorant of the disciplinarity of intellectual life

>> No.9652343

>>9652327
That's not true. All of the things I listed are basic and can be understood with a few years of work. You don't have to be an expert in all of them, and can still have extremely specific knowledge of the field in which you're hyperspecialized

>> No.9652354

>labelling people using arbitrary signifiers

its like a bad sociology lecture

you've become what you hate.

why would
you
do

this

to

yourself
??????

>> No.9652358

>>9652354
It's an ideal to aspire to. You only think it's arbitrary if you're a nihilist.

>> No.9652375

>>9652186

bruh you don't understand them just because you pass a university course. Do you happen to be retarded?

>> No.9652395

>>9652375
im gay

i suck lots of dick

i spit tho

gotta have standards

>> No.9652398

No.
I think it's definitely possible to be an intellectual without any STEM knowledge.
You can be an intellectual on geostrategic matters and politics.

That said, adding mathematical knowledge into the mix would be the way to go imo.

>tfw highschool dropout and don't know math
I do algorithms in code though, so I definitely enjoy mathematical thinking. I'm going to JC next semester for the sole purpose of learning math and compsci.

>> No.9652400

>>9652375
It's bare minimum.

>> No.9652404

>>9652400

Tru

>> No.9652410

>>9652375
>just because you passed a standardized testing system designed to quiz your knowledge on a subject doesn't mean the chance is higher that you are reasonably good at it compared to some guy pretending to read a physics book to shitpost about it on 4chan

>> No.9652417

>>9652410

My point wasn't that you will be better at it in comparison to some incel neet, but rather that passing a course hardly gives you anything resembling a deeper understanding. An inkling is what you'll have.

>> No.9652419

>>9652417

*will not be

>> No.9652420

>>9652398
There's a difference between an intellectual and an expert. An expert has extensive knowledge of a particular field, while an intellectual has general knowledge of a variety of fields. Most intellectuals are certainly experts in a particular field (possibly but unlikely multiple), but most experts don't really know much outside their field.

>> No.9652434

>>9652410
>>9652417
You're both being autistically pedantic. Actually passing a course isn't my point. You can study by yourself and still attain that level of knowledge, but it takes a lot of work.