[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.48 MB, 1826x4967, secondgeneral.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
998145 No.998145 [Reply] [Original]

So I've been thinking of making new recommendation chart for /lit/. Something more official than /lit/'s other charts so far, something along the lines of what /mu/ has.

So first and foremost, what books are Essential /lit/-core?

My list:
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
1984 by George Orwell
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
Dubliners by James Joyce
The Stranger by Albert Camus
Dune by Frank Herbert

I'm not too sure about the last two, and there are probably others you think shouldn't be there or should be there. I'll edit my list according to general feedback. Keep in mind that there will be categories for (post)modern stuff, pre-modern classics, SF, Fantasy, and Troll Tier

>> No.998168

The Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by DostoevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky

>> No.998204

I thought of that, but does /lit/ really like Brothers K as much as C&P? Maybe Dostoyevsky is /lit/'s Radiohead.

>> No.998880

Goosebumps.

For fuck sake, Goosebumps.

>> No.998884

Fuck Orwell. Fuck him so much and fuck the people who praise his quasi, obvious philosophies.

>but on another note

I have never heard anyone speak so highly of Dune until I came to /lit/... why should I consider reading this...?

>> No.998886

>>998204

I hope.

>> No.998888

>>998204
You mean the ultimate entry-level author?

>> No.998889

You should definitely put in the 'good school reading' tier or something like that.

>> No.998890

italo calvino better be on there

>> No.998923

It's more or less required that you read Infinite Jest and House of Leaves to survive here.

Some would say Ulysses, but they're liars.

>> No.998939

>>998923

No one ever speaks of Infinite Jest with a tone of respect. No one.

Besides... douchebags.

BIWHM = much better DFW

>> No.998946

>>998923
HoL, maybe. Infinite Jest, no.

>> No.998948

>>998939
>>998946

Regardless of what you think of the book, it's part of /lit/ canon. It's never not being discussed on here.

>> No.998978

OP here, keep in mind for this section we can't have too many. I'll make threads for the other sections.

Should 1984 be in that section? Despite its entry level status it seems lit doesn't talk about it too much.

>> No.998981

>>998978

1984 is a book for people who don't even like books but are proud to have finally read one.

Get it out of here.

>> No.998988

I posted in a topic a few days ago with a basic /lit/-core list... I forget what it was, though.

It was basically every book we ever talk about, and it was only 10 or 15 titles long...

>> No.999001

>>998988

Can you recreate the list from memory?

I wonder what they were...

>> No.999026

>>998168
Defo.What he said.

Maybe consider for classic/core

Slaughterhouse 5 or Cats Cradle
Catch 22
Don Quioxote
Hamlet

Also for a philosophy section

Beyond Good and Evil, Thus Spoke Zarathurstra-Nietzsche

The Stranger, The Myth of Sisyhphus-Camus
Fear and Trembling- Kierkergaard
Penses - Pascal
Critique of Pure Reason - Kant
Traticus Logicus (or whatever its called)-Wittengstein
Nausea- Satre
Sein Und Zeit- Heidegger
Essays - Michel De Montaigne
Letters from a Stoic - Seneca
Meditations - Marcus Aureilius
Also obviously take your pick of the Greek Greats

>> No.999031

>>999026

Philosophyfag detected

>> No.999035

>>999001
Not the person you're replying to, but if he has the same post in mind that I do...
http://green-oval.net/cgi-board.pl/lit/thread/990767#p990832

>> No.999044

>>999035
Mien Kampf is on the list?

..lol.

>> No.999045

If you are going to make up a list like this for books that were originaly not written in English, try to come up with a commonly accepted best translated copies.

e.g Pevear & Volokhonsky for Tolstoy and Dostoevesy are apparently the best at the moment

>> No.999063 [DELETED] 
File: 697 KB, 688x548, 1279574417495.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

4ch is invited to join Dollars. Spread the word.

Site: http://dollars-bbs.org/
Password: baccano

>> No.999062

>>999045

That said, who is the best of Ovid?

I have a cheap copy of The Metamorphoses translated by some "Miller" fellow... should I throw it out?

>> No.999064

How about this

>“Newfag’s Guide to /lit/"

>Books You Should Love:
- The Brothers Karamazov
- Anything else Russian, really

>Books you should either love or hate and have a nerd fight over every time they are mentioned in a thread:
- The Great Gatsby
- Catch-22
- On The Road

>Books you only read to make yourself look smart
- War and Peace
- Ulysses

>Books you should hate
- Atlas Shrugged
- Catcher in the Rye

Feel free to add to it

>> No.999066

>>999064

>War and Peace

= if you're trying to look naive, I guess.

>> No.999074
File: 322 KB, 1332x703, 1275559989947.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>shakespeare
>pretentious

Holy shit, it's a highschooler atlking about books.

>> No.999082

>>999064
Take off Catcher in the Rye from the "Books you should hate list". I haven't even read it, but it's obvious that most of /lit/ hates it only because they are embarrassed by their angsty teenage years.

>> No.999086

There is no path to acceptance on /lit/ as all the books one is expected to read and love here are the same books the other half of the c/lit/oris bashes and calls pretentious. It's a lethal attack of hipsters and pseudo-intellectuals. The only list one be concerned about are the books which should not be mentioned unless one wants to open again another pretentious con of worms and incite more senseless mental masturbation and internet debate.

>> No.999087

>>999082

This is a true statement.

>> No.999092

Lord of the Rings