[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 220 KB, 900x506, proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10391760 No.10391760 [Reply] [Original]

hey /sci/

i heard that child abuse causes an underdeveloped frontal cortex, causing problems with delaying gratification and l;ots of other stuff.

can you tell me what you know about this?
like all the problems caused by child abuse, physical or psychological or neurological.

and what is the best way to recover from this?

are adult abuse victims ever going to be able to be successful later in life?

>> No.10391767

>>10391760
Ask yourself OP

>> No.10391772

>>10391767

what do you mean

>> No.10391773

>>10391772
They mean that you started this thread as a way of dealing with your own abuse.

Did daddy cum in your ass?

>> No.10391776

>>10391760
>are adult abuse victims ever going to be able to be successful later in life?

I've never been employed and am a high school dropout, so nope.

BPD women, which typically stems from being abused as a child, are almost never "successful", so again, the answer there is nope.

But then again darkies from Africa come to the USA and become successful despite growing up in poverty and being around violence, so who knows? Then again, some darkies join gangs in their youth and end up dead, in jail, or a bum...

What I'm trying to say is, probably not. I don't know for certain though. I'm a loser myself.

>> No.10391784
File: 35 KB, 514x566, 140727402126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10391773

isnt that fucking obvious?
except that 'dealing' with it doenst mean crying about it on /r9k/. i mean to take on the damage ive suffered and reforge my self in the fire of discipline. i just want to know if abuse causes actual permanent brain damage, and if so how i can be sucessful and happy despite that damage.

>> No.10391788
File: 139 KB, 836x543, 1541448620784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10391776
>BPD woman
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>> No.10391789

>>10391776

how did you endc up being a loser?
me too btw, but im trying to fight my way
towards the light.
completely cut out gaming and netflix from my life, been eating right, getting up at 6 in the morning jogging.

>> No.10391791

>>10391784
come on bro fucking fight to be the best that's all there is. Use every advantage and trick in the book you can muster and grow to the top.

>> No.10391807

>>10391791

thanks pal, im doing my best.

the way i see it is im fighting on three fronts:

Social: im well liked by my housemates, and at my shit job. but i havent met any girls that id like, have not made any actual friends yet but im getting there.

Physical
doing my 6 am run every morning is giving me lots of extra energy during the day. so i have kind of conquered the oil fields there. today ill be making my gym schedule and diet plan to get a nice atletic body.

mental:
still having trouble studying for more than 30 mkins at a time, this is my biggest problem.
not sure yet how to improve on this. but i recently bought an e-reader and pirated lots of self help books so ill probably get there.

thanks for the support bros
fight the good fight

>> No.10391809

>>10391789
I stopped going to school and then stopped talking to all my school friends and dropped out of life and became a hikikomori I guess. My mom treated me like I was a little kid all my life(still does as a grown man), so maybe that + abuse contributed to me being a useless dork.

>> No.10391815

>>10391760
So long as the brain wasn't deprived of oxygen, cut or bruised or deprived of nutrients in any way, you should have an optimal brain to carry out tasks, plus or minus whatever dopamine over/under load you currently possess. If only there was a way to measure motivation the same way a magician measures mana in games...Augmented reality brainscanner maybe?

3:

>> No.10391825

>>10391809

damn man that sucks, whats your game plan?
do you have one?

>>10391815
>you should have an optimal brain to carry out tasks

what about the underdeveloped frontal cortex?
do you have any information to back up what youre saying?

>> No.10391831

>>10391825
The prefrontal cortex is part of the brain. Was it deprived of any of the above?

>> No.10391858
File: 82 KB, 645x729, proxy.duckduckgo.com.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10391831

dude how fucking stupid are you?
stop responding to the thread

>> No.10391871

>>10391809
i'm in the exact same position at 27. had a traumatic event at 14 and just pulled out of life.

>> No.10391883

>>10391784
>i just want to know if abuse causes actual permanent brain damage, and if so how i can be sucessful and happy despite that damage.

It doesn't, don't worry. You'll be suprised at what you can recover from.

>> No.10391889

>>10391883

elaborate/support your statement?

>> No.10391917

>>10391858
You can literally CAT Scan your frontal cortex if you are so worried. Compare its density, shape and volume to the averages. >:O

>> No.10391918

>>10391917
not a bad idea actually, thanks i had not thought of that.

>> No.10391927

>>10391918
*happy /sci/copath noises*

>> No.10391930

>>10391927

arwe you implying im a psychopath?
or that i am just a hapy /sci/ p[oster because ive just found a possible solution?

>> No.10391949

>>10391930
It's referring to me. >:O
I'm the /sci/copath. It was a joke. Stop reading into it so much. These ideas come from somewhere dark. So I jokingly refer to them as /sci/copathy.

>> No.10391959

>>10391949

i see, i kind oflooked at it in an autistic way.
but i chuckled

>> No.10392108

>>10391760
I grew up in a childrens home, I wasn't abused my parents were the carers in our particular cottage. The facility included 4 cottages with 4 to 8 children and their carers in each. Some of the kids came in when they were really young like 3-4 years old. No matter how good the carer was and what school they went to, whatever had happened to them had damaged their personality in some way. They were never quite right. I've been looking at the recently released MKUltra documents and testimonies and there are repeated references towards physical/mental trauma and the creation of split personalities within the subject.

>> No.10392748

>>10391760
Neglect also makes stunts the development of your prefrontal cortex.
There is a critical period between 12 and 24 months where you need to be stimulated by your mother through touching, and facial expressions and feedback in order to develop you ability to recognize other people's emotions and to control your own. If you had a negligent mother you are likely to be deficient in controling your emotions or you might even shut them down completely. This are is the right orbitofrontal cortex.
Another thing that abuse can do to you is to mess with your oriented reflex. Oriented reflex is the mechanism that makes you more alert and prepared to deal with a change in the circunstances. If you have parents that lash out suddenly for no reason, your oriented reflex is gonna adapt to those circunstances. As a result you are likely to be constantly anxious and prepared for a hostile situation.
You have a region on your brain called cingulate gyrus (I'm not completely sure this is the region in question). Among other things it determines the focus of your attention. If you have a overreactive amygdala constantly telling your brain you are in a dangerous situation, due to the conditioning you got from the abuse, it will take primacy over the hippocampus which is also connected to the cingulate gyrus. As a result it will inhibit the function of your hippocampus to convert short term to long term memory and will prioritize dealing with the "immediate danger".

>and what is the best way to recover from this?
You have to reshape the neural pathways in your brain to undue these disfunctional connections and form new, beneficial ones.

>are adult abuse victims ever going to be able to be successful later in life?
They can, but it requires a fair amount of work.

>> No.10392770

>>10391807
OP, it doesnt matter whether you have brain damage or not because in any case you should be conducting yourself as if you dont, in the best way possible. In terms of concentration, it's a skill that you can exercise. Keep yourself away from (or heavily restrict) things that train you to concentrate for short spurts (social media, 4chan) and literally train yourself to concentrate as long as you can. Dont turn to drugs to concentrate, in the long run it will ruin your motivation and concentration.

>> No.10392778

>>10391917
I read your replies. I could say you are just not knowledgeable enough, but then you went on to posit things about the mechanics of brain function, based on your cursory knowledge. So i'm gonna say you are downright stupid.

>> No.10392898

>>10392748
Another thing i just remembered. Stress causes the production of homones called glucocorticoids. Glucocorticoids kill neurons in the hippocampus. So if you lived in a abusive enviroment as a child you probably had a lot of neurons killed in your hippocampus which means there will be a deficit in your ability to convert short term to long term memory. The good news is that you can actually grow new neurons in your hippocampus through exercise (just moderate is enough), learning and experiencing joy. The hippocampus is one known part of the brain to have stem cells which can turn into neurons, even if you are already an adult.

>> No.10393490

>>10391807
If you can't read for more than thirty minutes you're either a brainlet or have ADHD.

methylphenidate does me really well, i got a script. Changed things around for me.