[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.57 MB, 1765x885, 1541343790648.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10391859 No.10391859 [Reply] [Original]

Why are the chimpanzees and bonobos considered different species?

[spoiler]and am I on the correct board[/spoilers]

>> No.10391962

Because you touch yourself at night.

>> No.10391995

Before the 1930s, bonobos were considered a subspecies of chimp as well and were called pygmy chimps, but researchers decided based on physical differences that these smaller apes are distinctive enough to warrant separate species status.

>> No.10392021

Species are mostly a subjective concept. For example polar bears and brown bears can produce fertile completely healthy offspring yet we consider these to be completely separate species.

Same with humanity. We aren't even a real singular species but a hybrid species of homo sapiens+neandethals+denisovans+erectus and a lot of other unproven ones. Races are determined by the mixture of these homo genes.

I had a lot of problems coming to terms with this when I was younger. But the earlier you start to understand that it's just purely subjective labels and not really based on a stable definition the easier it'll be for you.

Bonobos and Chimpanzees are largely the same species but we have subjectively decided to make them different. Neaderthals, Erectus and denisovans never went extinct but instead created a singular mixed species we now know as humans. We aren't homo sapiens unless you are a pureblood aboriginal.