Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 10 KB, 590x200, 0.999.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11547111 No.11547111 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Show me where the number 1 is in this image and I will concede.

>> No.11547114

>>11547111
The black part of the Image is 1.

>> No.11547115

>>11547111

when will this meme end

>> No.11547139

>>11547115
never, because it shows that there is a big problem within math. You can't just go on to say something less than 1 is 1

>> No.11547166

>>11547111
turn your head sideways

>> No.11547170

>>11547111
It's in your trips OP.

>> No.11547183

>>11547139
It's not less than 1 though.

>> No.11547193

>>11547139
>>11547166
both are correct.. he put the one sideways at the end far right to look infinite and its still one of something but not as large of ones matter of another

>> No.11547200

>>11547139
For all practical purposes
0.99999....... = 1

>> No.11547215

>>11547200
...and theoretical ones too

>> No.11547227
File: 44 KB, 500x294, 1461613435984.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11547227

>>11547111
>>11547139

>> No.11547235

>>11547215
How have mathematicians IRL tackled this question?

>> No.11547239

Praise God! For there are those who follow the one true faith of a finite Universe! Blessed be the
those of pure heart who say 0.999...=\= 1. All those who deny this fundamental truth are sinners and will justly receive GOD's punishment. After first being put to the sword.

DEUS VULT!

>> No.11547247

>>11547235
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series

>> No.11547250

>>11547111
>The number 1 has only one form
I guess 3/3 isn't one

>> No.11547260
File: 144 KB, 1032x1502, zeropointninerepeating.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11547260

>> No.11547272

0.999... + 0.000...1 = 1
0.999... + 0 = 1

it's like quantum superpositions but in maths. crazy!

>> No.11547352
File: 31 KB, 590x273, zeropointnine.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11547352

>>11547111

>> No.11547356

>>11547111
1 * 0 = 2 * 0

>> No.11547359

I think we should put all people who dont understand what limits are in the camps

>> No.11547384

>>11547111
"0.999999..." isn't even a real quantity. You will never find 0.99999... of something in the wild. It's like arguing about infinity.

>> No.11547389

I can see exactly 0.999.... of a retarded post here >>11547384

>> No.11547400

>>11547111
0.333..... * 3 = 0.9999... = 1

>> No.11547450

>>11547111
[math]
\boxed{0 < p < 1} \\
1 = p + (1-p) ~~~~~~ \overset{1}{ \overbrace{[=====p=====|==(1-p)==]}} \\
\text{divide p using x} ~~~~~~ \overset{1}{ \overbrace{ \underset{p}{[ \underbrace{=====x=====|==(p-x)==}]} ~~ + ~~ (1-p)}} \\
\\
\text{solve x and (p-x), when length ratios must be the same} \\
\dfrac{x}{p-x}= \dfrac{p}{1-p} \Rightarrow x- xp = p^2 - xp \Rightarrow \underline{x=p^2} \Rightarrow \underline{(p-x)=p(1-p)} \\
\overset{1}{ \overbrace{ \underset{p}{[ \underbrace{=====p^2=====|==p(1-p)==}]} ~~ + ~~ (1-p)}} \\
\\
\overset{1}{ \overbrace{ \underset{p^2}{[ \underbrace{=====p^3=====|==p^2(1-p)==}]} ~~+ p(1-p)+(1-p)}} \\
\overset{1}{ \overbrace{ \underset{p^3}{[ \underbrace{=====p^4=====|==p^3(1-p)==}]} ~~+ p^2(1-p)+p(1-p)+(1-p)}} \\
(1-p)+p(1-p)+p^2(1-p)+p^3(1-p)+ \cdots =1 ~~~~ \left | ~ \times \frac{1}{1-p} \right . \\
1+p+p^2+p^3+ \cdots = \dfrac{1}{1-p}
[/math]

>> No.11547473

>>11547272
maths should be combined with quantum mechanics

similarly 0.333... has a 1/3 chance of being 0.333...4
that's why 3*0.333...=1

>> No.11547482

>>11547111
Two proofs 0.999... = 1

Via Cauchy sequences:

0.999... = (0.9, 0.99, 0.999,...) = lim as n-> inf of 1-1/10^n = 1

Via Dedekind cuts:

Assume to contradiction that x is a rational number such that

0.999... < x < 1

0.999... is greater than any finite string of 9s so for any natural number n

1-1/10^n < 0.999... < x < 1

1-x < 1/10^n

10^n < 1/(1-x)

n < log(1/(1-x))

Let n = ceiling(log(1/(1-x)))+1

ceiling(log(1/(1-x)))+1 < log(1/(1-x))

This is a contradiction, so x does not exist and 0.999... = 1.

>> No.11547502

>>11547139
>there is a big problem within math
The problem is with you, because you don’t understand foundations.

>> No.11547671

>>11547111
you are correct, there is NEVER any 1

>> No.11547692

>>11547450
nice mumbo jumbo
try and explain your schizo writings please

>> No.11547752 [DELETED] 

>>11547692
spoon feeding time? ok
which line is too hard?

>> No.11547754

>>11547692
spoon feeding time? ok
which line is too hard?
i'll get you going:
line #1: p is between zero and one

>> No.11547759

>>11547200
found the engineer

>> No.11547790

>>11547272
KEK>>11547473
ABSIKYTEKY FUCKING BASED NAD QUANTUMPILLED!!!

>> No.11548254

>>11547692
how about line #2?
did you manage it?

>> No.11548284

Anyone who answer the 0.9999 =/= 1 fag seriously, try not to.
If you answer with logic he will refuse to understand.
Just let it go. Some people are bound to be stupid forever. It's okay to let people be wrong.

>> No.11548290

0.9999... can never exist because infinity is not something that you can write down. But if you did somehow find, while wandering in the wilderness, 0.9999.... lying on the ground. It would equal 1. You are not adding 9s and failing to get to 1. There are infinitely many 9s already and therefore it is 1.

>> No.11548297

>>11548284
Notice how they always refuse to answer the 0.3333... * 3 solution, it's because they don't care about being right.
They're just trolls and other anons got b8.

>> No.11548319

>>11547692
I have no background in Math and I got it just fine. You may simply be stupid.

>> No.11548327

Reminder that if anyone answers with
>Schizo
>Cope
>Seethe
>Emoji
>Pepe
>Wojak
They shouldn't be taken seriously.

>> No.11548338

>>11548290
>infinity is not something that you can write down
"infinity"
booyah

>> No.11548339
File: 108 KB, 378x357, 1582409911609.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11548339

0.999...=1

>> No.11548353

>>11547111
Alright I will end this once and for all.
OP, let's assume that 0.9999... != 1
if that's the case, then 0.9999... should certainly be lesser than 1, do you agree?
But forall real numbers a and b if a is lesser than b then there exists a real number c between them (you can easily prove that by taking c to be (a + b) / 2)
so if we assume that 0.9999 != 1 then there should be a real number c between them and since it is a real number it should have some decimal expansion since all real numbers have some decimal expansion, do you agree, OP?
What would that decimal expansion be?
Now tell me, OP.

>> No.11548391

>>11548353
>>11548353
alright I will finish my thought
if this number starts with 1 or something greater than 1 then it will automatically will be greater than 1 because after the comma will follow some other digits and unless they are all 0 it will be strictly greater than 1 (and they cannot be all equal to 0 because then that number c would be equal to 1)
for the same reason it cannot start with -1 or lesser than -1 - it would be lesser than 0,99999...
so it starts with 0,...
next digit should be any from {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} if it is any of the {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8} this number will be automatically lesser than 0,9999999 so the second digit should necessarily be 9.
But the same goes for the third digit or the fourth etc
So this number c is equal to 0,9999999.....
A contradiction.
Therefore, 0,99999.... = 1.

>> No.11549446
File: 21 KB, 200x590, 1586415279662.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11549446

>>11547111
op is a fag

>> No.11549461

>>11547111
Imagine all of those digits being flattened by a hydraulic press.

>> No.11549645

>>11547272
but 0.000...1 = 0

>> No.11549660

>>11549645
hahahahaha

>> No.11549668
File: 37 KB, 398x376, 1583764045316.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11549668

>>11549645
looooool good joke anon
I'm just imaging the retard that actually thinks that's true LOL!!

>> No.11549768

the three dots are just a limit of decimal status..Decimal system is a gay.

1/3 = 0.33...

It doesn't mean 0.33 forever it just means 1/3 in decimal.

it's decimal on steroids. it needs 3 extra decimals to represent the same thing as 1/3

0.33... * 3 = 0.99...

see, those three dots are just syntax. it doesn't mean repeating.

Only faggots say it does, because it might as well but every body knows faggots aren't nuanced.

>> No.11549779

1.0... is the same thing as zero. 1.0 actually has infinite zeros.

>> No.11549813

>>11549768
the ellipsis doesn't mean limit, retard.

>> No.11549837

>>11549768
>It doesn't mean 0.33 forever it just means 1/3 in decimal.
this guy actually gets it

>> No.11549892

>>11547272
what
are you an actual retard
0.999... + 0.000...1 = 1.000...1 (also 0.999... = 1)
0.999... + 0 = 0.999... = 1

>> No.11549901

>>11549668
1^-inf=0

>> No.11549950

>>11547111
hold the picture sideways and squint

>> No.11549955

>>11548353
>But forall real numbers
.9... is hyperreal, not real. Fuck off, you absolute fucktarded moron.

>> No.11549958

>>11549892
What?
Are you an actual retard?
0.999... =/= 1

1/3 = 0.333...(1/3)
Except in base 10 we approximate 1/3 and round off that tiny 1/3 at the end.
Multiply 0.333... x 3 and you're left with 0.999... and have 3 tiny 3rds you've rounded off at this point. There is a finite difference

>> No.11549961

>>11549958
>There is a finite difference
Infinitesimal, not finite

>> No.11549986

>>11548254
no
explain

>> No.11549993

>>11547450
What the fuck is the notation on the second line on the right?

>> No.11550033

>>11549986
>>11549993
a log, length=1, cut into two pieces
left side is p, right ride is 1-p (duh)

>> No.11550037

>>11549813

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals,and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I am trained ingorilla warfareand I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words.

You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet?Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands.

Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corpsand I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.

You’re fucking dead, kiddo

>> No.11550497
File: 97 KB, 1654x2339, proof.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11550497

>>11547111

>> No.11550502

>>11547111
>1 + 1
Show me where the number 2 is in this expression and I will concede.

>> No.11551577

>>11547111
It depends on what you think that collection of symbols means, because mathematics is NOT about parsing symbols. Most people would understand it to mean a real number-valued limit. In that case you can evaluate the limit and it's equal to one.

There are other sets of numbers that allow you to express something that is infinitesimally smaller than 1, such as a hyperreal field, but they don't use the notation you've used here.

The notation that you're using means something to most people and the mathematical object that it signifies is equal to one. It's still possible to consistently use infinitesimals and in particular you can subtract an infinitesimal from one and get a number that isn't one, but it's difficult to square your notation with that.

>> No.11552371
File: 192 KB, 1280x902, proof0.999is1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11552371

you show me a counterexample to the pic related.

>> No.11552392

>>11547111
5/5
Show me where the number 1 is in the fraction above, and I'll concede.
That's how stupid and ignorant you sound to people who actually know mathematics.

>> No.11552396

>>11547114
Based and math-pilled.

>> No.11552402

>>11547235
It's just a geometric series that, when you use the relevant formulas, converge to 1. It's only a "problem" for mathematically illiterate people on 4chan.

>> No.11552424

>>11547111
there is 1 zero

>> No.11552572

>>11552392
5/5 is an unfinished equation.
That's how fundamentally stupid you are. You dont even grasp the concept of a fraction. Fucking retard.

>> No.11552606

>>11547111
Read up anon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series

>> No.11552607

>>11552572
5/5 is not an equation at all. Do you see an equals sign anywhere in it?

>> No.11552616

>>11552424
OP BTFO LOL

>> No.11552690

>>11552392
5/5 is a ratio.
It can be whatever number depending on the base.
Dumb nigger.

>> No.11552701

>>11550502
We clearly see a certain number of units 1 added together. We express is with the number 2, because there are 2 units.
I see an Infinite number of units in OP, and nothing can be broken down to infinity so it does not measure a countable unit, so It is not what we would call a "number", which serves to count the number of units.>>11551577

>> No.11552704

>>11552607
Your ignorance and incompetence is so astounding its actually worthy of study. Please answer the following questions.
1) How long is your tail?
2) Who is the monkey you see in the mirror?
3) Knuckles are for dragging. True or false?

>> No.11552716

Tell me a number between 0.999... and 1, and I'll concede.

>> No.11552743

>>11552716
>Tell me a number between ¶ and 6 and I'll concede

>> No.11553558 [DELETED] 

>>11547111
Show me a number between 0.999... and 1 and I will concede.

>> No.11553583

>>11549955
define hyperreal numbers troglodyte

>> No.11553586

>>11552743
4. concede now.

>> No.11553602

>>11549955
holy shit you are wrong and retarded
there are only two hyperreal numbers (infinity and and infitesimal number very close to 0) 0.9... is NOT one of them. Now please just kys

>> No.11553609

>>11547111
Now the science has been settled, what should we call the Church which defends Maths without recurring decimals? The Church of the One True Maths?

Furthermore, should we even acknowledge the existence of the Heretics who still cling to the idea that 0.999...= 1? Perhaps it would just be best to ignore them for the trolls they are.

>> No.11553793
File: 835 KB, 1280x729, Screenshot (2109)28.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11553793

0.999... will never =1 you fucking spergs
lmao

>> No.11553812

>>11553793
Anime image means your points are discarded instantly.

>> No.11553817

>>11553812
still doesn't change the fact that 0.999...=/=1

>> No.11553830

>>11553793
>0.999... will never =1
It's literally true by definition.

>> No.11553839

>>11553817
No it does, anyone who uses anime has an IQ below of the room temperature in Celsius degrees. Degenerates like you can have their opinions instantly discarded.

>> No.11553845
File: 19 KB, 312x312, 8308A981-E0B0-4F1A-B7AF-14223197C729.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11553845

>>11553839

>> No.11553847

As already explained, there are no unwhole numbers on a Total Number Line.
Therefore 0.999... is not a valid number.
It's almost as if you don't understand the difference between Irrational Numbers and Rational Numbers.
ARE you familiar with Irrational Numbers?

>> No.11554257

>>11547139
so lets talk about the "big problem' instead

>> No.11554263

>>11553847
>Therefore 0.999... is not a valid number.
0.999... is a different symbol for 1, by definition.

>> No.11554273

>>11547359
the problem is not about a lack of understanding of limits, but the fact that a sequence and its limit are different things. boundaries are not interiors.

>> No.11554278

>>11554263
>By definition
I define "_&-€ as being equal to my balls. Theoretically they can impregnate a woman and be scratched therefore "_&-€ = my balls.
K.

>> No.11554301
File: 11 KB, 190x266, darkies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
11554301

>>11549645
both 0.999999..
and 0.000000..
are Dark Numbers!

>> No.11554304

>>11547111
1/3 of 12 is 4... 4x3 = 12. Making 3/3 = 1.
It's the language of math that we use which is wrong, but that is why there are 60 seconds in a minute and not 100.

>> No.11554306

>>11554278
>my balls
ok, so an infinitesimal

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action