[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 8 KB, 199x253, images (4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11730194 No.11730194 [Reply] [Original]

Hello all. I've been working a few years in industrial machinery and almost all of the new tech improvements have to do with cameras, communications, etc., so I've been very interested in self-studying optics and photonics. I took mechanical engineering in college so I dare say optics is the area of physics I have the least instruction in. Does anyone know of good introductory resources or textbooks I can check out? Help this 30 yr old boomer spread his wings!

>> No.11730443

>>11730194

Bump for interest

Don't forget to also brush up on programming and control systems!

>> No.11730679

>>11730443
Of course! I've already started refreshing my crusty knowledge of Visual Basic and Matlab. Unfortunately I'm a total brainlet when it comes to PLCs. My end goal is to be an applications engineer at a photonics supplier near me.

>> No.11731016

desu idk which book is the best but i know the physics department at my school uses hecht

>> No.11732741

>>11730679
PLCs are easy once you get the basics of digital electronics; you should brush up your knowledge on Boole-algebra and logic gates, static and dynamic logic systems, and them you’ll get the syntax better. PLCs are as low level as it gets for a mechanical engineer, so I’d also recommend looking into how they work (the run cycle, insulated IOs, etc.).

I also recommend toying around with machine vision; it’s quite easy, look up OpenCV on sentdex’s youtube channel. Of course OpenCV is rarely used in the industry (I did make some money building systems based on it, but its not the norm), but commercial systems like Halcon operate based on the same principles. Godspeed grandpa!

>> No.11732980

>>11732741
>Programmable logic controllers are intended to be used by engineers without programming background. For this reason, graphical programming language calledLadder Diagram(LD, LAD) was first developed which resembles the schematic diagram of a system built with electromechanical relays. It was adopted by many manufacturers and later standardized in theIEC 61131-3control systems programming standard.As of 2015, it is still widely used, thanks to its simplicity.

wtf sounds like dumbed down MCU for brainlets I was expecting some kind of arcana sysyems

>> No.11733168

>>11732980
>PLCs
>complicated
Lol no, look them up. PLC are made so they are easy to use and as infallible as a system can be; this is why they are the workhorse of industrial automation since the 70s.

Fun fact: one of the first graphical programming languages (ladder diagrams) were developed for PLCs - that is how easy they are.

>> No.11733201

>>11733168
Oh sorry for repeating your source, I TLDRd it.

>> No.11734344

>>11733168
I believe you, but I'm very far removed from them. Took some controls courses a decade ago and every place I've worked since doesn't let me touch em ("just let the controls engineer do their job!"-bossman). Of course, the courses I took were for dynamic regulation of temperature, pressure etc. in reaction vessels. I imagine typical industrial machinery is much more "if this triggers, do this, etc" and has less dynamic loop shit to make me seethe.

>> No.11734412

E. Hecht - Optics, check it out my dude