Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 23 KB, 403x302, 10003521.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40310275 No.40310275 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

>PCs have to drive a few hours to investigate weird shit at a bookstore
>Ask the players how the PCs prepare/what do they bring to accomplish the mission
>Half of them make a point to say "I bring my gun and nothing else"
>Later on the PCs get separated
>Same players ask "Hey, GM do we have walkie talkies?"
>"Well, you said earlier you're only bringing your guns so no."
>"Guns only" half of the party dies from poor packing

Is this the right thing to do, /tg/? Normally I have common sense stuff like communication, basic medical supplies, food, ect. accounted for but if they're gonna specifically say they only bring one item I feel like that should bite them in the ass.

>> No.40310406

Yeah fuck their dumb asses

>> No.40310495

>>40310275

OP, you haven't seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to PCs doing dumb shit.

And yes, you should kill them for it. And then laugh. And then find a better group.

My story only has a single player though, but hoo boy.

>Playing DnD 3.0
>Party gets rolled up, we're 2nd level to start with
>Traveling from Point A to Point B
>Have to camp for the night
>Party fighter (Half-orc, so at least had darkvision) is on watch.
>Hears something rustling off in the bushes, and then a few more times, probably people of some sort.
>Ask what he wants to do.
>"I'll go investigate the noise"
>One of the other players starts making exaggerated snoring sounds, but clearly doesn't want to flat out tell idiot fighter that he should wake them up.
>I give my best DM "Are you sure?"
>He pauses for a moment, thinking, and then lights up.
>"if I go in like that, they'll hear me. I'll take my armor off first and then go looking for them."

I ruled that the sounds from the ensuing (and short lived) fight woke up the other three party members.

>> No.40310507

>>40310275

I think we're missing some context here.

If me and some friends wanted to go investigate weird shit at a bookstore a few hours away; we'd bring a gun (assuming in context) and a cell phone (which is assumed to be carried always).

Food? Buy it at a gas station.

Medical supplies? Just call 911, it's not a bookstore in the deep jungle, is it?

>> No.40310547
File: 104 KB, 1024x768, gay cunt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40310275
>go on vacation
>pack only sunscreen and nothing else
>friend asks if I brought my swim trunks
>go check
>I only packed sunscreen
>blame God for this

>> No.40310672

>>40310275
>Is this the right thing to do, /tg/?
Yes.

If you are feeling charitable, you can ease them in to proper planning by setting up a situation that is not quite as lethal for the unprepared, if they aren't brain-dead they should get the hint for later.

>> No.40310680

>>40310507
OP here. Context is a Delta Green mission, so calling 911 unless you absolutely have to is ill advised.

And like I said, I normally account for basic stuff unless the players specifically tell me "I bring X and nothing else." which they did.

>> No.40310852

>>40310680
>And like I said, I normally account for basic stuff unless the players specifically tell me "I bring X and nothing else." which they did.

I don't know, you have to draw the line somewhere I guess. You could extrapolate it either ways; the players could've not brought their clothing as well.

>> No.40311331

I can't figure out the logic behind specifying "and nothing else."

Have you fucked them over in the past regarding gear malfunctioning or exploding for no reason? Why would they want to make it a point that they're only brining a particular item and no other equipment? Did you at least ask them "are you sure you don't want to at least bring basic supplies?"

My mind is in a state of full boggle.

>> No.40311646

>>40311331
I haven't fucked them over with malfunctions or anything. Best I can figure is they knew it was a one-shot so they weren't very invested in the characters or they thought it would be funny somehow.

I couldn't understand why they did it either.

>> No.40312176

>Players find a cell block in the dungeon, with some prisoners locked up
>Fighter and thief proceed to kill the prisoners by shooting through the bars

>> No.40312370

>>40310275
>party escapes their inn dues by knocking innkeep out
>decide to look around the town for a quest INSTEAD OF LEAVING
>give them a quest which is roughly
"Find the guy(s) who assaulted the innkeep"
>they turn one of the party over
>they make a daring jailbreak which (because of their diversion) burns down half the town and brain damages the captain of the guard
>barely escape with their lives
Months later (realtime&gametime)
>war has broken out in the kingdom, scores are drafted
>Party runs into a warband lead by a brain damaged captain
>instantly recognizes them (because of reasons)
>forces them into his service
>they escape and raise their own warband, which does battle with the tard squad, or so it had been called
>victory

Man if I wasn't just trying to have fun, I would've fucked them up so bad.

>> No.40316682

>>40312370
Sometimes murdering a party is the most fun a DM can have

>> No.40316828

Ive done stupid, pointless shit just to try and liven up the incredibly dull experience.

>> No.40317056

This happened on Friday. I'm still not sure how anyone could come up with this line of logic, it involves the party fighter in a 3.5 game (only casters were a bard who can't into charops, and my cleric who I kept out of charops)

>fighter was CE, alignment had changed to CN since he became less evil murderhobo
>sees my cleric praying to my god for spells, decides to bitch at his god (the CE god of slaughter) why he can't get spells
>DM decides to roll with it, has god of slaughter answer with "you haven't done shit for me lately, why should I help you?"
>Fighter tells god to fuck off, god says fighter will be sorry
>DM rolls something, goes bug-eyed, and continues. "you hear a different voice in your head now".
>CN god of thieves wants to steal the fighter from god of slaughter (fighter did take 1 level in rogue, dunno why)
>fighter says he wants "some good shit" for worshipping the new god
>CN god says "we'll work on it" but fighter has to prove he's the right type.
>DM: "the god says, 'the party halfling has a potion. I want you to steal it for me.' and (Player), when you try this, it'll be a sleight of hand check."
(cont.)

>> No.40317204

>>40317056 cont.
>Now you'd think that maybe the fighter would wait a little bit, try to get people to forget the assignment so it'll go easier when he does make the lift. At the very least he'd try stealing it with sleight of hand.
>NOPE
>Fighter instantly corners the halfling and demands he give over the potion "or else" and says he's rolling intimidate
>DM stares, and says the magic words: "are you sure you want to do that?"
>Fighter: "Oh right. I press my sword to his throat. That should give me a bonus, right?"
>Fighter shits a hammer on intimidate, with all the bonuses it's like a 9 or something.
>Halfling is unmoved. CN God of thieves says "...yeah. This isn't gonna work. Later."
>Fighter: "well, fuck it. I jump off the ship."
At this point I finally speak up, because this has gone too far.
>"Dude. You're saying you want to jump off a boat, wearing half plate, with zero ranks in swim, and a good 100 yards from shore? And why didn't you use sleight of hand like the DM told you?"
>Fighter: "if I tried stealing it then he would have known. So yes, I'm
jumping off the ship."

The DM at this point pretty much just shrugged. Roll your swim check, fail. Roll fort save, fail, take damage. Roll fort save-or-die, fail. You drowned. Happy?
>Fighter: "Wait, I DIED? what the hell, why didn't anyone stop me?"

Pretty sure he's just THAT GUY but it's like he doesnt understand what people are telling him.

>> No.40317643

>>40317204
It sounds like he doesn't understand what people tell him, or at least doesn't stop to consider the consequences of whatever he's about to do.

I also get the impression that he feels DMs (in general or just yours) are out to get the players, at least a little bit, so automatically assumes that anything one tells him is attempting to trick him into doing something stupid (probably due to him falling for some obvious trick way back when, since he doesn't think about what he's about to do).

As for on topic, the worst I have is when I was running a Dark Heresy oneshot to get my group used to that system. At the end of the intro adventure from the book, one player decided that he was going to try to keep some of the heretical bits from the cultists the group had just killed.

The rest of the group told him it was a terrible idea since A) evil chaos magics might mind control him or some shit and B) every imperial he ran into would assume he was a chaos cultist if he wore it openly (which he wanted to) but he told them not to worry.

He was then confused when he got blammed.

>> No.40317676

>>40317643
>It sounds like he doesn't understand what people tell him, or at least doesn't stop to consider the consequences of whatever he's about to do.
>I also get the impression that he feels DMs (in general or just yours) are out to get the players, at least a little bit, so automatically assumes that anything one tells him is attempting to trick him into doing something stupid (probably due to him falling for some obvious trick way back when, since he doesn't think about what he's about to do).
When you phrase it like this, he sounds like a guy from the two groups I'm in. His entire approach to Pen&Paper is so focused on vidya tropes that he is prone to do shit like that. I don't blame him for it though, because he's fairly new to P&P in general.

>> No.40317694

>>40310852
This is true, but they SPECIFICALLY mentioned walkie-talkies - which aren't an everyday thing to carry - not cell phones. So that's on them.

>> No.40317702

>>40310275
Just curious, what was the weird shit?

>> No.40317805

I was a player in this one and it's partially my fault

>Sent to investigate a town that suddenly stopped sending shipments to the city we work for
>Spooky stuff stealing their children AND bandits
>Mayor is a drunk and not doing his job
>Deal with spooky stuff but only rescue a dozen children out of about one hundred
>Other player gets sick of the mayors shit
>Punches his head off and rips out his spine Mortal Kombat style
>I suggest we light a small fire in the mayors house and leave to deal with the bandits hoping the fire erases our crime by the time we get back
>DM mentions a thick cloud of smoke behind us
>Whatever, the mayor had a big house.
>Deal with bandits in a couple days and prepare to return home triumphant
>A couple dozen singed survivors greet us at the outskirts of nothing but black smouldering ruin

Next session we're planning to tell the king that the town was a lost cause and needed to be cleansed, but we think we're screwed. We'll blame demons or something.

>> No.40317870

>>40317643

In fairness, while the gamer knows 'evil heretical power artifacts' via unavoidable meta, a character IRL might totally go for that. If someone offered me magic with a chance of crazy id damn well nab that shit. That parts fine. Part of good roleplaying is roleplaying stupid decisions because those are the ones your character would make.

Wearing it openly though is admittedly way beyond fucking stupid. Usually if im doing this sort of thing i will have someone roll some sort of knowledge check and flat out tell them 'You realize if you do X, you will basically be immediately hunted down and killed. Youll need to find a way to hide X'. Because having someone act like its their own knowledge can help you not seem like a railroading DM.

>> No.40317871
File: 139 KB, 251x200, whyfloor.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40317204
>I jump off the ship
>wearing half plate, with zero ranks in swim, and a good 100 yards from shore
>Wait, I DIED?

I can't even fathom his logic train there.

>> No.40317975

>>40317871
I can see him not thinking the armor matters. The bit I don't understand is his decision to jump off the ship. I'd really like to know what he thought would happen.

>> No.40317997

>>40317975
He probably thought 100 yards to shore wasn't too far, and he could swim that way.

>> No.40319439
File: 423 KB, 1280x739, The obvious answer is Skeleton Crew.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40317805
Was the spooky stuff stealing the children AND the bandits, or were there bandits doing banditry while the spooky stuff was stealing children?

>> No.40321058
File: 549 KB, 854x946, plasmapeasant.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40310275
Last saturday i was gm'ing a black crusade game. Players are on a huge space hulk, searching for an ancient STC, come down to hydroponics and discovers it's a huge biodome with forests, fields and it's own atmosphere.

They see medieval style farms, they enter and see peasants around a firepit, as they enter all the peasants grab the plasma guns at their side and points them nervously at the party.

At this point the party is rather surprised, but they decide to talk down the peasants. Turns out that they live off the lands by harvesting wheat from the fields and foraging plasma guns from the forest, one of the younger peasants runs the point home when he opens a sack and empties several plasma guns to the floor.

While the party do further inquiries into these plasma guns, Arseus, i'm not shitting, that's his name, decides to go outside exploring the little farm. He finds the peasants space cows grazing close by..
>and decides he wants to eat them
>when he knows he in a small farm community where everyone has plasma guns
>the entire party groans when he describes how he kills Bessy the prize space cow
>party is now facing 20 farmers with plasma guns, one whom is shouting BESSY! from the bottom of his lungs
>Arseus get's melted
>rest of the party survives solely due to peasants can't handle being pinned for shit

Goddamnit, i didnt plan this to be an encounter...

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action