Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 174 KB, 655x850, Desus did nothing wrong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
40337192 No.40337192 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Read this article to get a hang of the setting: http://theonyxpath.com/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book. For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/ are both places where games could be found. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up. Keep your eyes peeled.

Resources for Third Edition
>Pre-Layout 3E Leak https://mega.co.nz/#!1p0RQTyS!1fvgzcFVcAsnxWb3ExDE3b_PZHaGMEY7G3YOSVGdu9I
>Solar Charm Trees - http://imgur.com/a/GBdsW
>MA Charm Trees - http://imgur.com/a/6jeZ7
>Evocations Charm Trees- http://imgur.com/a/oZ6wu
>All-inclusive Martial Arts PDF by Anon https://www.dropbox.com/s/17srgggvpao94n0/MA%20Styles%20PDF.pdf?dl=0
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B3I6-eDu-lQ6aUZDaS14Tlh1a3c
>Fiction Anthologies https://mega.co.nz/#!LZtmzJTb!rc6Jhi9jCrfphIj8bEKsDjb2fGZe4hMz6AmyOUd8xcQ
>Ex3 Comic https://mega.co.nz/#!eBtiVBIB!dGp1-1F3ma6EYOf52Uza3eSxHK5IDHCGPnSHGvyluus
>Ex3 Cheat sheet

Resources for Second Edition
>Archive with Errata notes: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Fanmade crossbook indexes: http://www.4shared.com/office/_Ke_MsnJba/_exalted_indices.html
>Chargen program: http://anathema.github.io/

>> No.40337376

Googledocs sheet, for the anon who asked. If you see any possible improvements for it, let me know. I wrote it so you would have all 'temporary' values (that is, those you'll edit during play) on the first sheet, then more permanent selections elsewhere.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1srZVGJKCmhmBzoycd9Q7bRKmTnmp0Q6zHbUOmD0hGNI/edit

>> No.40337379

post 3e char sheets

>> No.40337554
File: 1.20 MB, 320x419, 1414979169189.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40337192
First Age edition. What did you circle do in their previous lives? How has that come back to haunt them? What sort of First Age goodies have they gotten a hold of?

>> No.40338416

>>40337554
>What did you circle do in their previous lives?
Mad Godkings of Creation
>How has that come back to haunt them?
Well you see, the Sidereals and Dragon-blooded threw us down, and have stomped us out any time we resurface and now everyone knows us as "Anathema" so there's this trust issue with the useless mote sa- er.. mundane mortals whom we are destined to rule with glory and power. Also, any time we try to go access our old recreational omnicide found- er... arsenals for the protection of creation, traps we left behind to keep our PRECIO- er... precautions to keep these dangerous devices out of unworthy hands tend to thwart us. We were just too cautious and careful. Also, I think, mayhaps, one of us left behind a ghost from the First Age. Nothing to worry about, I'm sure.
>What sort of First Age goodies have they gotten a hold of?
See above...

>> No.40338435

>>40337554
Dragon-King ate my Eclipse's foot

God I hated Dragon-Kings back then apparently, and I fucking hate them now

>> No.40338459

>>40337554
I don't have a game right now, that's why I'm watching this and the gamefinder threads for a 3e game.

>> No.40338482

My Zenith decided to build a tower to the Heavens so he could seduce the God of a certain star. The ruins are now a major Northern city whose depths I plumbed to reach his old chambers.

>> No.40338552

>>40338435
They're the butt of all the jokes, really. They're all dying at best. Hating them is like hating a poor emaciated stray dog that hasn't eaten in days.

>> No.40338619

>>40338552
I like Dragon Kings personally. They're cool, and when they turned into death-essence using cannibals they discovered a unique form of magic that even mortals could use (in 2e anyway).

Plus, y'know, that MA about ripping people's hearts out of their chest.

>> No.40339402

>>40338482
>God of a certain star
I thought each God had its own star regardless, so there wouldn't be a god of a star any more than there'd be a god of itself. There's all that stuff about Starmetal and dead gods. Am I misreading something?

>> No.40339471

>>40339402
There must be a God of Stars however

>> No.40339861

>>40339402
I think there's special gods assigned to the ceiling of creation to look after it. They don't have much contact with the surface and often don't even know the Usurpation happened.

>> No.40339990

>>40338552
>dying
Their culture, sure, but their populations are still almost the size they were in the First Age. There are tons of Dragon Kings left in the world, but they're mindless animals flying around in the Northern mountains, lurking under the Western seas, and hunting deer and wild pigs in the jungles of the East. They Dragon Kings are alive and well, they've just fallen so far as to be little more than animals and figures of myth.

>> No.40339998

>>40339861
Man, imagine how much Adamant you could get if you made a deal with one of them...

>> No.40340070

Isn't it a bit odd that Shockwave Technique and Circle of Bright Reaving have no effect on Battle Groups?

>> No.40340210

>>40340070
You expect shit to make sense in Exalted.
Sweet Summer Child.

>> No.40340384

>>40337554
My character is the abdicated King of a nation in the River Provinces. We've been playing with the idea that his past incarnation was the Tyrant ruler of it who was (fucking justly) slain in the usurpation.

>> No.40340490

>>40340384
>1500 years ago
That would no longer be relevant. So long would have passed that the tyrant would, at best, be an ancient myth irrelevant to the current state of the kingdom, like being the reincarnation of Attila in modern day Italy. Nobody will care about that particular detail because the world's moved on in the millennium-and-a-half since then. They'll care far more that he's a Solar in general than that he's that particular Solar.

>> No.40340577

>>40340490
He completely defined life in the city-state, some facets of that are still there. The city is built around a massive statue of which only the feet remain and on the plinth is carved 'Tyrant'. Every child is taught his name, though nobody living remembers that he was a solar.

The throne is a single carved piece of basalt and at neck height is the gouge the daiklave that killed him left. Each king tells their successor, as a child, about the tyrant and why they rule as they do.

Forgetting him feels like a Macedonian forgetting Alexander, or an Italian forgetting Julius Caesar.

>> No.40340666

>>40340577
I'm not saying he'd be forgotten - that's why I used Attila as the reference. No, I'm saying he wouldn't be relevant. If Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great came back today, their relation to those ancient figures of history would be a minor curiosity, even to the people of Italy or Macedonia. The presence of Solar powers almost completely eclipse anything else about that person, even relation to such a formerly-important person in the distant past.

And, on another note, a single River Kingdom? That's an absurdly small sphere of influence for a First Age Solar. 'The entire modern Scavenger Lands' is closer to the size of an appropriate Exalted Dominion of the First Age. Remember, Creation is only 10% the size it was before the Balorian Crusade; most former Dominions were washed away by the tide of chaos, which means the lands of modern Creation were actually in the hands of relatively few exalts in the distant past.

>> No.40340704

>>40340666
>If Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great came back today, their relation to those ancient figures of history would be a minor curiosity, even to the people of Italy or Macedonia.
Fair enough, the ambiguity is mostly important to the character himself, to be honest. It's part of the reason he abdicated.

>a single River Kingdom?
In the same sense that Rome is a single city.

I should point out that we're running Ex3 though, there's no sense in assuming that
>Creation is only 10% the size it was before the Balorian Crusade
is still true.

>> No.40340746

>>40340704
>the ambiguity is mostly important to the character himself, to be honest
Well, fair enough, then! Modern Italy would absolutely be much more important to Augustus Caesar than Augustus Caesar would be to modern Italy. That absolutely works.

>In the same sense that Rome is a single city.
Okay, so it's more that this city-state is the remains of the capitol of a once great empire. That's also fucking rad! Imagine how morose Caesar would feel looking upon a Rome whose empire had collapsed into a thousand other kingdoms, leaving only the original citystate behind.

>> No.40340786

>>40340746
Yeah, I'm having fun playing with it so far. It's pretty early days, but the character's certainly struggling with coming to terms with being a Solar when his only frame of reference for them is the Demon-Tyrant and the Immaculate Faith's 'Anathema'.

>> No.40340803

>>40340786
Bad role models, ruined memories, and moral uncertainty - sounds Exalted to me.

>> No.40341534

Just a quick question regarding 2.5e. How would a solar go about raising attributes and abilities past 5?

>> No.40341577

>>40341534
Reaching Essence 6+. Your Attributes and Abilities are capped at 5 or your Essence, whichever is higher.

There are a few exceptions to that - being Giant increases the cap on your Strength by 1, Increasing Strength Exercise can boost your Strength temporarily, and I think there are a few charms which temporarily boost your Appearance. Generally speaking, though, your Essence is what's capping your stats.

>> No.40341612

>>40341577
Thanks for that.

>> No.40341635

>>40341612
No problem. Any other questions?

>> No.40341658

>>40341635
No,not really. Just got a little confused reading through oadenol's codex with the manse powers, that's all.

>> No.40341696

So, the Legendary Size trait some NPCs have makes them immune to Onslaught. But magically inflicted Onslaught Penalties still apply. I've been looking, but I can't find a magical way to cause onslaught, only retain it.
Ox-Stunning Blow should be an Onslaught penalty.

>> No.40341830

>>40341696

>I've been looking, but I can't find a magical way to cause onslaught, only retain it.

I could see that being a large part of the DB charmset. Enhancing Onslaught Penalties to allow them to utterly ruin the enemy's defenses for an ally to finish off.

>> No.40341836

>>40341696
My st has ruled that the brawl charm counts, because they're not a dick.

>> No.40341863

>>40341836
Falling Hammer Strike? I can see why your GM did it, but it's certainly not RAW.

>> No.40342080

>>40341863
Eh. It's magically-enhanced onslaught. That makes it magical onslaught in the same way that an attack enhanced by a charm is a magical attack. It's the non-idiotic ruling, and there is no RAW - it's 100% open to interpretation.

>> No.40342104

>>40342080
It's not though. It doesn't create onslaught at all.

>> No.40342142

>>40342104
>unless magically inflicted
That's open to interpretation. The way I see it, onslaught which was magically inflicted in a way such that it never decays as long as you keep hitting them is 'magically inflicted' onslaught. Since the game doesn't actually define what 'magically inflicted' is in even the slightest way, that's 100% as valid of an interpretation as any other. Unless it's errataed to remove ambiguity, there is no RAW there aside from the universal understanding that magic needs to be, in some degree or another, involved.

>> No.40342165

>>40342142
Falling Hammer Strike can't possibly work though. It make Onslaught last longer, but it can't do that if Onslaught wasn't applied.

Do you see where I'm coming from here?

>> No.40342221

>>40341696
Gathering Light Concentration? The intro Charm of Shining Point Into the Void lets you go "No, YOU have a -5 onslaught penalty! :P"

>> No.40342244

>>40342221
Yeah, that'd probably do it. Only one at a time of course, unless you're being attacked by more than just the big monster.

>> No.40342261

>>40342165
>Do you see where I'm coming from here?
Sure, I just don't agree with it. The moment onslaught is affected in any way by magic - even if it's just making it last long - it's 'magically inflicted.' It doesn't matter whether the charm actually created the initial onslaught, all that matters is that magic made it no-longer-mundane.

That's my interpretation, and it's no more or less accurate than yours. The rules actually are well and truly ambiguous in this case - RAW doesn't point to one or the other, because it doesn't define its terms.

>> No.40342341

>>40342261
It isn't magically inflicted, magically inflicted means magically applied. Falling Hammer Strike is magically sustained.

Furthermore, Falling Hammer Strike has literally no effect in this case. It doesn't create onslaught, it merely prolongs onslaught you create. You attack, that attack applies onslaught, Falling Hammer Strike sees that onslaught continue until the next turn.

If you cannot apply onslaught then you cannot use FHS. As I said before, I understand why you would houserule that FHS to pre-emptively apply magical onslaught, in the same way other charms turn aim dice into auto-successes, but you have to understand that isn't the normal function of the charm.

Why am I arguing when I wish you were right? Seriously, Falling Hammer Strike working like that would be great. As would Ox-Stunning Blow creating onslaught penalties.

>> No.40342392

>>40342341
I still disagree with you. The moment magic modifies onslaught in any way, it becomes 'magically inflicted' onslaught, because it's not mundane anymore. That's really all there is to it, and nothing in the book disagrees with that interpretation.

Your interpretation is equally valid, mind you - nothing wrong with that.

But we're definitely in RAI territory, not RAW territory, and that means that until we get a dev answer one way or the other, it's strictly up to interpretation.

And my interpretation is that something is 'magically inflicted' the moment it's no longer mundane, not that it's 'magically inflicted' if and only if it was generated 100% from a magical effect.

>> No.40342429

>>40342392
Well, I guess since we both get the other's point, there's no point continuing the argument. There's a good chance I'll be trying to convince my GM to house-rule something similar.

>> No.40342442

>>40342429
>I guess since we both get the other's point, there's no point continuing the argument
Cheers, I agree.

>There's a good chance I'll be trying to convince my GM to house-rule something similar
Good luck.

>> No.40343509

>>40341696
How about Raging Fang Offensive? It's an iffy one, particularly in the word 'additional', but it's definitely magically inflicted.

The only question is whether it works if the first point of onslaught wasn't applied.

>> No.40345334

Man, /exg/ is quiet today.

>> No.40346085

>>40345334
Because everyone is busy playing.

>> No.40346272

>>40346085
Hahaha.

>> No.40346391

>>40343509
I'd definitely say it counts.
>>40342341
>OSB onslaught penalties
If you want OSB to be more effective against most enemies, dividing it from Onslaught is actually a better way to do that. That way, it can't just be ignored by a Fivefold Bulwark Stance.

>> No.40346814

>>40346272
I, at least, am busy planning my first campaign.

>> No.40346816

Does anyone here recall what the roll was to see if a child will exalt as a dragonblood? I can't remember for the life of me and I also can't find it in the books

>> No.40346915

>>40346816
>Does anyone here recall what the roll was to see if a child will exalt as a dragonblood?
You rolled a single 1d10 with a target number modified by the parents' bloodlines. Here, let me copy-paste it for you:
>If both parents are patricians of proper breeding with numerous Dragon-Blooded relatives, the child Exalts on a roll of 1-2. If one parent’s a Dragon-Blood and the other is a mortal of poor breeding, the child will Exalt on a roll of 1-3. If one parent’s a Dragon-Blood and the other’s a patrician of good stock with Dragon-Blooded relatives, the child Exalts on a roll of 1-4. If both parents are Dragon-Bloods, the child Exalts on a roll of 1-6. The Breeding Background adds to the number that must be rolled, and it applies from both parents if both have high enough Breeding. Thus, if two Dragon-Bloods, one with Breeding 4 and one with Breeding 5, have a child, the child will Exalt on a roll of 1-9 (the normal 1-6 for the child of two Terrestrials, plus 1 for the Breeding 4 parent, plus another 2 for the Breeding 5 parent).

That said, the fluff implies that people with appropriate Dragon-blooded ancestry exalt when feeling particularly strong emotions - for example, the character that exalted while being raped - and that having a better bloodline just lowers the intensity of emotion required for exalting. So, if there's a sufficiently dramatic emotional moment, feel free to let a child exalt anyway - that dice roll was just to see if it would happen naturally on its own, usually in the onset of puberty.

>> No.40347001

>>40346915
I feel I should note that said sidebar implies that the child of two Breeding 5 DBs is certain to Exalt.

>> No.40347132

>>40347001
Because they are. A Breeding 5 Dragon-blooded is almost as pure as the original Dragon-blooded - who, in the time of the Primordial War, had a 100% exaltation rate among their children. A breeding pair of two Breeding 5 Dragon-blooded is, in no small way, the re-perfection of the Dragon-blooded race.

>> No.40347679

>>40346915
One of my friends mentioned that breeding with an elemental has a similar effect to a high breeding rating, is there any truth in that or is it all just bullshit?

>> No.40347748

>>40341696
>>40343509
A question tangentially related to this conversation. Ferocious Jab adds the target's onslaught penalty as damage. Is there a charm/evocation/other effect in the leak that adds onslaught as accuracy? I looked for it and couldn't find such an effect.

>> No.40347752

>>40347679
>is there any truth in that or is it all just bullshit?
It's just bullshit. In fact, it can create an Elemental-blooded (aka God-blooded) kid by mistake instead of someone who has an improved chance of becoming Dragon-blooded. A Dragon-blooded's breeding has everything to do with how many Terrestrial Exalted are in their family tree, and nothing to do with how many spirits are in it.

>> No.40347782

>>40347748
>Is there a charm/evocation/other effect in the leak that adds onslaught as accuracy?
No. Onslaught is already added accuracy, by virtue of making your target easier to hit. And even if there was, it would count against your dice cap, which means it would have to be really cheap to be worth using instead of an excellency.

>> No.40347806

>>40347748
No, in fact Brawl seems to avoid accuracy boosts in general.

>> No.40348264

It's the First Age.

You're a Twilight.

You have been tasked by the Deliberative in the first unanimous vote in centuries to open the Seal Of Eight Divinities.

What do you do.

>> No.40348329

>>40348264
>What do you do.
Exploit my position of increased funding and Deliberative-mandated resources to pursue my own person projects while completely ignoring the Seal of Eight Divinities. Invest in a charm that lets me lie past JET and spend the next thousand years pretending that my personal projects are all vital pieces of the big picture plan.

After all, nobody on the Creation side even knows the SoED is a thing. They just know that Autobot is inaccessible for mysterious reasons, and that all attempts to contact him have failed. I'm not going to actually pursue that doomed plan instead of my own shit no matter how mandated.

>> No.40348331

>Risk: The books will take a long time to produce and anger the backers.

>Solution: We've learned many, many lessons with our previous Kickstarters and we're becoming much better at estimating the various pitfalls that will delay a KS project. We were able to deliver the PDFs for our last several KS projects several months before the estimate, and are ahead of the game for the current physical book at press as well.

WoD writers are mocking us.

>> No.40348372

>>40348329
See this shit right here.

This is why the Usurpation happened.

>> No.40348374

>>40348331
>WoD writers are mocking us.
Why shouldn't they? The WoD side of OPP has been wildly successful when it comes to delivering on their kickstarters with high-quality products way ahead of schedule.

>> No.40348410

>>40348372
Still better than breaking the seal and bothering Autobot. That's just a really dickish thing to do.

>> No.40348411
File: 23 KB, 600x263, no sense of right and wrong.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40348372
Someone should shop this picture to put a caste mark on the wizard and replace the word 'wizard' with 'solar.'

>> No.40348440

>>40348374
WoD writers have also realized the benefits of flat XP costs. Exalted writers could learn a thing or two from WoD team.

>> No.40348458

>>40348440
My next Exalted game is already going to be run on Beats.

>> No.40348480

>>40348440

The irony being that JUST as Exalted realized Motivations are a shit idea, WoD picked them up (Aspirations).

Basically the two teams need to start having sloppy make-out sessions and get all on the same page with the small quality of life changes.

>> No.40348482

>>40348440
Wait, they are using flat xp costs now?

>> No.40348486

>>40348440
Personally, I'm in the scaling XP camp, but I think that character creation should be XP based to compensate. It's the linear/quadratic split that's the problem, not the quadratic XP itself. It should be consistent, one way or the other - that would solve the huge problem of the character creation minigame.

>> No.40348493

>>40348458
How are you going to adjust the experience required to increase Essence?

>> No.40348524

>implying anyone uses the xp/training rules in the book
>implying it matters what the devs think about xp

>> No.40348533

>>40348493
/5, more or less

>> No.40348575

>>40348524
>implying that rule zero excuses shit game design
Isn't there a name for that? Oh right. http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Oberoni_Fallacy

>> No.40348606

>>40348482
The new new WoD, starting with the God-Machine Chronicles rules update, uses flat XP costs, yeah.

>>40348486
I don't really mind scaling XP, but I think flat XP costs would appeal to more people. They are easier in some ways, especially in character creation when you're adjusting multiple stats. I agree that the linear/quadratic split is the actual problem, though.

>> No.40348659

>>40348575
Well yes, but xp is always something really subjective. I don't think you can even make rules that work for everyone, it's always a thing the ST has to decide himself.

>> No.40348835

>>40348659
There's a vast difference between "doesn't work for everyone" and "BP/XP split".

>> No.40348838

>>40347782
>>40347806

I guess I just don't like the fact that the onslaught-themed part of the brawl tree can be easily made irrelevant by Fivefold Bulwark Stance. So I was hoping for some feedback on this homebrew expansion to Ox-Stunning Blow that would help brawl a bit with those charms that negate all penalties:

A second Essence 3+ repurchase allows the penalties levied by Ox-Stunning Blow to ignore penalty removing charms such as Fivefold Bulwark Stance, up to a maximum of Essence dice in penalties. This effect endures until the target's onslaught penalties wear off.

This is working on the assumption that the penalties levied by Ox-Stunning Blow does not inflict onslaught penalties itself, but rather separate penalties.

Thoughts?

>> No.40348920

>>40348838
>easily made irrelevant by Fivefold Bulwark Stance
the penalties are still there, they just don't affect the enemy's Parry, so charms that use the enemy's onslaught still work.

>> No.40348974

>>40348838
>I guess I just don't like the fact that the onslaught-themed part of the brawl tree can be easily made irrelevant by Fivefold Bulwark Stance.
It doesn't. Someone using Fivefold Bulwark Stance still accrues Onslaught - which Ferocious Jab and so forth can exploit - it just doesn't affect their Parry. As demonstration of the proof of that statement, ask yourself whether or not Onslaught is still applying to someone's Evasion while FBS is active (it is).

So, sure, you don't get the advantage of tanking someone's Defense. But you do still get to use Onslaught as 'fuck you and the horse you rode in on' counters.

There are only two charms in 3e which currently fuck over an Onslaught Brawler - Iron Battle Focus, under Brawl, and Gathering Light Concentration if, and only if, used by a Solar.

You can probably count the number of Solars in the entire setting who possess those charms on one hand - maybe two.

On a related note, how fucking common do you think FBS is? 99.999% of all everything that you'll ever fight in the entire setting has a 0% chance of possessing that. The remainder still probably doesn't have it either. The segment of the population that is likely to have it isn't just Solars, isn't just combat Solars, it's combat Solars who decided to focus on Melee - and that's maybe 10-50 people in the entire goddamn setting.

>> No.40349036

>>40348974
>The segment of the population that is likely to have it isn't just Solars, isn't just combat Solars, it's combat Solars who decided to focus on Melee - and that's maybe 10-50 people in the entire goddamn setting.
Expect Abyssals and Infernals to get equivalent charms.

>> No.40349111

>>40349036
>Expect Abyssals and Infernals to get equivalent charms.
I was counting them as Solars for the purpose of that number. Exalts - especially Celestial exalts - are fucking absurdly rare. You shouldn't expect to interact with more than 3-7 outside of your circle in any given campaign, let alone actually fight them. Talking about game mechanics in the context of fighting other Solaroids is like talking about D&D exclusively in the context of fighting the campaign's BBEG, instead of every other fight of a campaign.

>> No.40349220

>>40348920
>>40348974
>>40349111

Fair enough. I guess I was looking at it from a charm balance stand point, where melee has a counter for most things brawl focuses at (negating onslaught and clashing) and I wanted Brawl to have a little boost. But that's just my preference.

>> No.40351001
File: 144 KB, 539x900, Bookmark Catclaive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

What the fuck even is this?

Is it some in-joke amongst the devs?

>> No.40351072

>>40351001
It's a catbatklaive.

>> No.40351088

>>40351001

Volfers daiklave is possessed. I think Mel Uran drew it as a cat for the piss, and the devs ran with it.

>> No.40351199

>>40351088
So that's a Yes then?

>> No.40351604

>>40351199

It doesn't pop up in serious art, just the chibi shit. It's unlikely to make it into the book.

>> No.40351795

It seems like an awful lot of charms provide automatic successes or dice to rolls without specifying that that it's a non-charm bonus. Since that eats into your Excellency cap, it seems like that renders them useless as anything but a situational mote-discount.

Take Listener-Swaying Argument, which costs three motes. It gives you an automatic success and one bonus die for every two points by which the target's Resolve is boosted.
If I'm reading this right, this is only of any value over the Presence excellency if the target's Resolve is boosted by at least four, and even then the only benefit it gives you is a small reduction in mote cost.

Charms like that seem pretty common. Are they as crap as they seem?

>> No.40352112

>>40351795
The real value of LSW is in the non-charm dice, but it's pretty typical of Ess 1 intro charms, yeah.

>> No.40352182

>>40349220
A Solar Melee specialist has an edge over a Solar Brawl specialist when they fight each other. But Solars are almost never going to fight each other. When fighting any enemy other than each other? The Brawler is better at Clashes than anyone who doesn't have Excellent Strike, and can kick out an absolutely horrifying amount of damage per round and onslaught. Melee's strength is that it's better at defensive fighting, isn't succeptible to 1s charms, and it better at fighting groups.

But against 99% of single opponents? Brawl will kill them harder, faster, and better than Melee does. It's a high-risk, high-reward fighting style that only falters against specific exalts with specific hard counters to its specific tricks and small non-battle-group groups of medium targets.

>> No.40352197

>>40351795
>>40352112
Whoops, stupid me. I forgot about the synergy with Harmonious Presence Meditation. Having HPM active when you social at people is basically mandatory for a Solar.

>> No.40352221

>>40351795
>Charms like that seem pretty common. Are they as crap as they seem?
They're discounted pseudo-excellencies. In situations like social influence, where you don't get mote regen every round like in combat, that's actually really important.

But yes, they are competing for the same real estate as your excellencies.

>> No.40352415

>>40340577
>The city is built around a massive statue of which only the feet remain and on the plinth is carved 'Tyrant'. Every child is taught his name, though nobody living remembers that he was a solar.

>The throne is a single carved piece of basalt and at neck height is the gouge the daiklave that killed him left. Each king tells their successor, as a child, about the tyrant and why they rule as they do.
That's pretty fucking metal.

>> No.40352455
File: 310 KB, 1532x560, Adventure 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Are there any locations in Creation which have interesting systems of slavery? I want to create a character who's a former slave, but I want to make it something more interesting than 'chattel slavery' or 'harem slavery.'

>> No.40352472

>>40352455

Realm Slave > Threshold Freeman

>> No.40352506
File: 119 KB, 364x457, ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40352472
>any amount of comfort or security worth the loss of freedom
Kek.

>> No.40352529

>>40352221

Worth remembering that between Listener Swaying Argument, HPM and Impassioned Discourse Technique it's not just easy but TRIVIAL to cap out your excellency on the cheap. Just IDT and HPM by themselves (plus Tiger's Dread Symmetry, which you should always pick up) can get you a full ex, for the low price of two motes. That's super valuable.

>> No.40352542
File: 169 KB, 826x1348, Safety vs Freedom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40352506
America pls

>> No.40352569

>>40352529
Yeah, Essence 1 Presence is a mandatory dip for any social character, no matter what their primary social skill ends up being.

>> No.40352600

>>40340490
Fair reminder that the Great Pyramids were built 2500BC - I kind of doubt that Rameses III would have considered them, and what they represented, to be irrelevant myths back when he was ruling in 1000BC.

Similarly, Caesar being literally reborn around the time of the Second Italian Wars would have set the WORLD on fire, never mind Italy.

>> No.40352653

>>40352506
Anon, giving up a degree of freedom for everyone's comfort and security is an integral part of living in a society,m any society. I mean, we can argue about just how much freedom people should give up and how much comfort and security they should gain in return, but there is no society that lets its members have full and complete freedom.

>> No.40352684

>>40352415
Eh, it sounds pretty Ozymandias to me.
>>40352542
Ain't ya'll the niggas whose government is about to pass some huge buncha bills so they can spy on you?

>> No.40352705

>>40352684
>Eh, it sounds pretty Ozymandias to me.
Yes, and..?

>> No.40352729

>>40352684
>about to
We passed those a long time ago. They're just up for renewal and they will 100% guaranteed get renewed.

>> No.40352738

>>40352705

What this anon said, nothing precludes Percy Bysshe Shelley from being metal as fuck.

>> No.40352773

>>40352653
>giving up a degree of freedom for everyone's comfort and security is an integral part of living in a society
Classic slave talk.

>> No.40353165

>>40352455
The Immaculate Order trains child slaves to grow up and become super-badass members of the Legion of Silence (p. 70 of the leak). It's not technically chattel slavery, since you are valued and trained, but you lack rights.

You could be a prisoner of war in Fade, waiting for ransom or liberation.

Nobles in Linowa are the only ones permitted to own slaves - perhaps turn that around and say that without slaves, your noble master loses his status? So you are a tremendously skilled individual and also occupy this strange position of importance and powerlessness where your staying by your master's side is the only thing that keeps said master in power. Bonus points: master is weak and adorable and you have conflicting feelings about striking out on your own since master will end up as fishbait by sunrise if his/her enemies find out s/he's lost noble status.

You were born in Ysyr, twisted and mutated, marked from birth as a slave. In a fateful moment, you stole the secret of sorcery from your masters, and now they hunt you, the living proof that Ysyr is built on a lie, that the mutated can still achieve sorcery no matter what the elite say.

>> No.40353360

>>40352738
You mean apart from him being one of the origins of Gothic literature?

>> No.40353613

>>40353165
I liked the changes to the Legion of Silence in 3E. In 2E they were just the Empress's private Space Marines.

>> No.40353949

>>40353360

What, never heard of genre blends?

>> No.40353995

>>40352182
Yes, I get that this is a very unlikely edge case in the setting. But this is not such an unlikely edge case at our table, where PC vs. PC occasionally happens. So I wanted to tweak the combat charms a bit to see if they better suit our group.

>> No.40354140

>>40353360
I think what they meant was that nothing precludes Percy Bysshe Shelley from being metal as fuck.

>> No.40354237

>tfw when you want to adapt Heaven's Reach from Shards of the Exalted Dream for 3E, but your homebrew is shitty and you're strapped for time.

>> No.40355272

>>40351795
Stuff like Excellent Strike is so absurdly efficient and cheap that there's no reason not to use it for every single attack that you make, even before we get to the fact that it outright shuts down defensive charms like Bulwark Stance.

>> No.40355675

>>40353995
Well, Melee is meant to be the 'fight other Solars' combat ability. That's why it has the ability to cancel out 1s and ignore onslaught penalties, counter-clashes, and defense-boosters, even if it doesn't have the sheer offensive output that Brawl can offer. That's its actual role - fighting extremely high-end combat-specced Celestial Exalted, and fighting groups of heroic mortals and terrestrial at once.

If that's the role you're trying to fill, then you SHOULD take Melee, in the same way you should take Thrown or Ebon Shadow instead of Brawl if you're trying to have a Stealth combat ability. Different abilities have different roles, and the role you're talking about seems to be 'fighting Solars with Solar Melee,' which is the role for which Solar Melee is specialized.

>> No.40355719

>>40355675
>X is specialized for being able to beat up the hardest possible combat encounters, you can't complain about that
Fuck you, yes I can.

>> No.40355938

>>40355719
You really can't, because Brawl is strictly better in most other encounters. Killing Behemoths, killing gods, killing demons, killing non-Melee-combat-specialist Solars - it's not that it's the more powerful combat ability, it's that it has special tools for dealing with a very specific sort of high-end combat magic. Specifically, it has Excellent Strike, which lets it ignore 1s charms, and it has Parry charms which let it ignore the penalty to Parry from Onslaught. Those two specific effects are what make it better for that specific, specialized purpose - but not as a whole.

If you want to fight someone with Supernal Dodge, or fight an Onslaught Brawler, you break out Solar Melee. If you want to fight three Heroic Mortals at once, you break out Solar Melee. For literally any other kind of foe, you break out Solar Brawl.

So, yeah, if you still want to bitch about that - about Melee being the defensive/accurate Ability for dealing with Solars and large groups, while Brawl is the offensive/double offensive Ability for dealing with every other hard target in the game, feel free. But personally, I like that both have strong, clear roles, and in the games I've played in, Brawl's role is more useful the overwhelming majority of the time.

>> No.40356219

>>40355938
>If you want to fight someone with Supernal Dodge, or fight an Onslaught Brawler, you break out Solar Melee. If you want to fight three Heroic Mortals at once, you break out Solar Melee. For literally any other kind of foe, you break out Solar Brawl.

I agree with you that this is the intended role, and that as they are those abilities fulfill their roles well. But I don't want to use them for their intended role, hence why I want to tweak them. You might think it's useless, dumb, or whatever but the fact is that for a large group of players in a high essence, combat heavy game everyone resorting to melee for combat because its uniquely superior in this aspect makes the game less diverse and enjoyable for us.

Is this an edge case? Absolutely, but I'm still interested in trying it, not only for playing the game out but seeing what breaks at higher levels of combat.

>> No.40357351
File: 172 KB, 706x720, Aww shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>GM/Player
GM
>System Preferred
I am currently running Abyssal Exalted. But if that falls through i will probably run something 40k cause that is where i am most comfortable as a GM
>Times Available (with timezone!)
Mondays 8 - 12 EST, Start earlier, run later based on what players want
>Method of Play (Skype, IRC, roll20, etc)
We use Skype and Roll20
>Contact Info
email: [email protected]
>Additional Notes
as a word of warning, I do not know exalted all that well and i run heavily with the rule of cool. If you wanna do something cool i am more than willing to find a way to let you do it. Don't need to bother minmaxing to survive, or making something world breaking, i just wanna be able to have a good time and make my players have an enjoyable session.

>> No.40357374

>>40357351
wrong thread?

>> No.40357384

>>40357374
It's exalted, it's fine.

>> No.40357395

>>40357374
No, just reaching out to my target demographic. That;s marketing Nigga

>> No.40358766

I'd really like to get more details about the new sigs. I literally know nothing about Volffer besides the fact that his Daiklaive is insane and murderous

>> No.40358823

>>40358766

He once put the Imperial Mon on as a belt buckle.

As in, the Imperial "the Empress shops her personally and she approves of it" Mon. And then he walked around in front of a bunch of drunk Realm soldiers.

That's really all you need to know about him.

>> No.40358841

>>40358823
It sounds like something a Solar PC would do.

>> No.40358861

>>40358841

Most PCs aren't clever enough to do an insult as "subtle" as that.

>> No.40360725

>>40348575
>http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Oberoni_Fallacy
No, it's just the Rule Zero fallacy. Fuck some punkass bitch trying to boostrap his own fucking name to it. It always existed, and that nigga can go fuck himself.

>> No.40360895

>>40357351
What Edition? Given it's Abyssals I'm ASSUMING 2e but I think it's best to ask.

>> No.40361010

>>40360725

Everybody knows it as the Oberoni Fallacy though. This boat long since sailed anon.

>> No.40361212

>>40361010
Uh. No, not really. Like, at all.

>> No.40361241

>>40361212

Yes really. I've seen it on SV, OP, RPGNet, SA, wherever you care to look. It's the Oberoni, and no crusade is gonna change that.

>> No.40361249

>>40361010
Nooot really. In fact, that's one of the very few times I've ever heard it called that around here.

>> No.40361270

>>40361241
...well, no wonder you've seen it so many places.

You go to some very shitty fucking places. The exact sort of places that would accept some cockmunch bootstrapping their name to something that already exists.

>> No.40361288

>>40361270

Why yes, RPG forums are terrible places. If you wanted quality you came to the wrong community, brother.

>> No.40361291

>>40361010
>Everybody knows it as the Oberoni Fallacy though. This boat long since sailed anon.
This is the first I've heard it called by that name, for what little the word of a random internet anon is worth.

>> No.40361594

Ironically, speaking as the anon who made the first post related to the subject, I found the link by googling "Rule Zero Fallacy"

>> No.40362039

>>40351795
The thing is, putting a lot of motes into excellencies goes easily past the 5 mote cap that raises your anima display. At a first glance shifting that expenditure to toher charms does nothing, but since "spendign motes in an instant" isn't defined per se it can be argued that every charm happens in a spearate instant.

This allows you to spread your motes usage to better control your anima display, makes all teh charms tha tseem completely overpriced in relation to simple excellencies make more sense and only makes you blaze when you pull truyl epic shit with full excellencies or very high-power charms.

Mind you, this isn't my idea but an technically uncontestable observation of one of my players I fundamentally disagree with, but we're trying it out at the moment because Golden Rule should apply to the entire group and not just the ST.

>> No.40362071

>>40362039
>but since "spendign motes in an instant" isn't defined per se it can be argued that every charm happens in a spearate instant.

By that logic, you could only apply one Charm with a duration of Instant to any particular action, since the time it took to activate the next one would be "another Instant" and therefore the previous Charm no longer applies.

You might want to think your position through a little more.

>> No.40362132

>>40362071
As stated, not my position but many of my players. You make a good observation though, and it's already better than anything I managed to muster up in defence.

Though I still like how many charms it promotes back up from the dungheap. Got ot take it up with my group (again).

>> No.40362227

>>40353165
>Nobles in Linowa are the only ones permitted to own slaves - perhaps turn that around and say that without slaves, your noble master loses his status? So you are a tremendously skilled individual and also occupy this strange position of importance and powerlessness where your staying by your master's side is the only thing that keeps said master in power. Bonus points: master is weak and adorable and you have conflicting feelings about striking out on your own since master will end up as fishbait by sunrise if his/her enemies find out s/he's lost noble status.

Noice

>> No.40362349

>>40360895
Yes, 2e.

>> No.40363055

>>40358766
>I'd really like to get more details about the new sigs. I literally know nothing about Volffer besides the fact that his Daiklaive is insane and murderous
I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not really feeling anything for the new sigs as of yet, not based on what little we've seen of them.

>> No.40363255

>>40361270
>...well, no wonder you've seen it so many places.
>You go to some very shitty fucking places.
And I bet he's no true Scotsman either.

>> No.40363282

>>40362039
Yeah, no, that's absolutely not how it works. Every charm activation on your turn contributes towards your anima display. You don't split them up Instant by Instant. It doesn't get split into a second measuring unit until you get back to your own initiative and your get your 5m drip. Your player's full of shit and either an idiot who can't read, or gambling that you're one.

>> No.40363439

>>40363282
Different person here.
While i agree with you that it most certainly isn't each instant charm activation, i am not sure it's an entire round (as you say it is), maybe it is each action, maybe it is 3 different stages; 1) before you get your turn, 2) when you take your turn, 3) after you take your turn, or it could be each round as you said. We really need a clarification for that.

>> No.40363504

>>40363282
>>40363439
No, it's each discrete action, actually. Each tick, basically. So, when you launch a flurry of five attacks with Brawl on your turn? Those five attacks and all the charms spent on them are one single consideration for anima flare - even if you get a reflexive Decisive after you Crash them, it's still on your initiative tick, still in the same instant. Then, later, when you use Solar Counterattack to get a reflexive attack on another tick? That's a second consideration for anima flare.

So yes, if you spend 4m on your actual turn and another 4m on a reflexive turn, that leaves your anima unflared. If you activate 15 'Instant' duration charms all on the same action on your turn, though? No, fuck you, your anima fucking flares. Play a Night if you don't want it to work that way.

And yes, this means that flaring is very, very easy for someone with reflexive counterattacks/clashes from Melee.

>> No.40363767

>>40363504
We all know that's more or less how it works, or is supposed to at least, but can you find anything explicit on it in the rules that I can wield as a weapon, besides the instant charm duration mentioned earlier? I'd like to return into this argument as well prepared as I possibly can.

>> No.40363842

>>40363767
>• Tick—The smallest measurable unit of time in the Exalted system, ticks are used to measure certain actions taken within a round—generally magical actions (see Chapter Six). Ticks are numbered, and correspond to characters’ Initiative ratings. For example, a Dawn Caste with an Initiative value of 7 will take her turn on tick 7 of the round. A Night Caste with Initiative 5 will take his action on tick 5 of the round—two ticks after the Dawn.
>When your character spends five or more motes of Peripheral Essence in an instant, her anima ignites and intensifies by one level for every five Peripheral motes spent.
The smallest measurable unit of time in Exalted is a tick. 'Instant' refers to a tick, not charms with the Instant duration. Everything you do on one tick - one unit of initiative - is a single instant in the game.

So, when you take your turn? That's one instant. When you act Reflexively on someone else's action tick? That's another turn.

By RAW, 'instant' only means something in the game if it's capitalized; the Instant duration is a proper noun. 'In an instant' means literally nothing in the game's system. But the absurdly obvious Rules As Intended, as indicated by the text I copied to you above, is that an entire Tick is the smallest unit of time measurement and that you cannot further subdivide it into multiple Instant moments.

>> No.40363892

>>40363842
This is unfortunately semantics that sort of supports his views, funnily enough. Since instant isn't mechanically defined we have to go ot dictionary definition, which is "a moment of time too short to measure", which by the mechanical definition of the tick would make an instant shorter than a tick.

See why we couldn't agree and invoked the golden rule yet?

>> No.40363907

>>40363892
>See why we couldn't agree and invoked the golden rule yet?
>Tick—The smallest measurable unit of time in the Exalted system
No. The Exalted system plainly and bluntly states that a Tick is the smallest unit of time that the system measures. You cannot further subdivide it into smaller amounts of time.

It absolutely does not support his interpretation. The Rules As Intended are EXTREMELY obvious. You just have to go the extra step of actually looking up what the system's smallest unit of measurement is, instead of the Rules As Written just explicitly stating that it's per tick.

>> No.40363925

>>40363892
>Since instant isn't mechanically defined we have to go ot dictionary definition, which is "a moment of time too short to measure", which by the mechanical definition of the tick would make an instant shorter than a tick.
Right, except if it's shorter than a tick the rule saying a tick is the shortest period of time is now false. You are in fact so pedantic, or so intent on sophistry, that you're arguing with the rulebook.

>> No.40363945

>>40363907
Tic is smallest measurable unit.
Instant is too small to measure.
Ergo instant is hosrter than a tick.
Ergo instant is not the same as a tick.

We agree this is bullshit semantics and RAI is blatantly obvious, but if I could get out of this argument with semantics and claiming RAI I'd done it already. Henceforth I'm looking for something solid I can convince a stubborn ass with, without needless drama. If 3rd was out yet I'd simply message the devs and have them shoot this down for me.

>> No.40363961

>>40363945
Well, you're not going to find anything more explicit than the game literally and explicitly telling you that there's no smaller unit of time than a Tick.

>> No.40363965

>>40363925
Shortest *measureable* time. Instant is too small to measure. And let me remind this is his argument, and I'm trying to find that something that can shoot it down.

>> No.40363969

>>40363965
>Shortest *measureable* time. Instant is too small to measure.
Fuck off.

>> No.40363972

>>40363945
You are again, wrong.
>>40363965
Common fucking sense can shoot it down. There is no measurement shorter than a tick. None. Anything that happens within a tick is happening simultaneously.

>> No.40363988

>>40363972
>Anything that happens within a tick is happening simultaneously.
Unfortunately there is nothing in the rules that epxlicitly states this.

>> No.40363990

>>40363988
>Unfortunately there is nothing in the rules that epxlicitly states this.
Fuck off.

>> No.40364003

>>40363988
>>Tick—The smallest measurable unit of time in the Exalted system
Now seriously:
>>40363990

>> No.40364013

>>40363990
You can't trump an argument based on semantics by arguing against it with semantics, no matter how obvious. Either give me something concrete or fuck off yourself, mmkay?

>> No.40364026

>>40364013
>Either give me something concrete or fuck off yourself, mmkay?
Fuck off.

>> No.40364032

>>40363945
>>40363965
>>40363988
Fuck off.

>> No.40364037

>>40364003
>Tick—The smallest measurable unit of time in the Exalted system
>An instant is an infinitesimal moment in time
>Infinitesimals are things so small that there is no way to measure them.

if I was making up these words and definitions, I'd change them. Unfortunately, this is not the case. So yeah, seriously.

>> No.40364050

>>40363945
Your ST sounds very low-functioning. I do not recommend playing in this game.

>> No.40364052

>>40364013
First: I just checked some dictionaries, and Oxford, Cambridge and Merriam-Webster don't even have the definition of instant you are using.
Second: The rulebook gives you the fucking rules, not a goddamn dictionary you twat.

>>40364037
Fuck off.

>> No.40364057

>>40364037
>An instant is an infinitesimal moment in time
>Infinitesimals are things so small that there is no way to measure them.
Exalted doesn't define 'instant.' It's a literally meaningless word in the Exalted system if it isn't capitalized. Tick is the smallest unit of time. It cannot be subdivided into 'instants' because an 'instant' isn't an 'Instant,' and a Tick cannot become smaller.

Fuck off.

>> No.40364070
File: 212 KB, 869x920, 1421288805945.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

So, to change the topic away from something retarded, how do you do your beastmen, /exg/? More beast, more man, or more internet furry art? How often do you use them in your games? Have you ever had any beastman PCs? Any important beastman NPCs? Do you regularly interact with any beastman nations or tribes? Or are they an aspect of the setting which your group more or less complete ignores?

Pic related is how my group tends to do beastmen.

>> No.40364079

>>40364070
Given that beastmen are human in Exalted, my group tends to keep it upward of 80%. Definitely no furry art.

>> No.40364088

>>40364052
Infinitesimal Is the first on the list in merriam-webster. The other two are something solid, however. Thanks.

Secondly, if the rulebook gave the rules for this, not just vaguely hinted at them, we wouldn't have this porblem.

Also, the obligatory "fuck off".

>> No.40364098
File: 311 KB, 700x990, 1433323543061.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40364079
See, my group goes the other direction. We like to make them extremely animal, but not in that stupid sexualized way that furry art does.

>> No.40364101

>>40364088
You wouldn't have the problem if you didn't play with retards. It seems far simpler.

>> No.40364106

>>40364070
>>40364098
>Ronin lapdogs and knight errant housecats
WELL. I KNOW WHAT MY NEXT TWO EXALTED CITYSTATES ARE GOING TO BE NOW.

>> No.40364121

>>40337554

Oh god, it went badly. Really badly. We ran a Dreams of the First Age campaign, and I'll give you a good example of how shit can go horribly wrong.

My character was an Eclipse Caste socialite whose Motivation was "Be Loved By All." As such, everything he did naturally fed into that Motivation. He was extremely likeable, ruled his people benevolently, was on good terms with other Exalted...But beneath it all, as exemplified by his Limit Break, was a pathologic need to be well-regarded by everyone. The problem is that there is, always, someone who dislikes you.

So he started to use subtle Charms to make his populace like him, effectively a kind of low-level conditioning. Unfortunately, this was addictive - which also made him very rich, and gave him an extremely high level of Cult. All of the everyday wonders that were necessary for a high living standard bore his subliminal imagery, which meant he was (unintentionally, really) brainwashing people.

His people loved him so much, they began to shun (and eventually, murder) those he didn't. When Usurpation came, the cities he ruled fought to the last man to protect him and entire populations committed suicide out of the sheer despair of failing their God-King.

His last words, before Sidereal infiltrators killed him, were: "What did I ever do to you?"

I'll say that, in his defense, he was never actively cruel like Desus. He genuinely cared for and liked people (and had a tendency to coddle mortals). But this actually marked him as an especially dangerous target for elimination, because he was one of the most charismatic individuals of all time and there were fears he could subvert most of the Realm.

I'll point out that when he died, he had Cult 6.

>> No.40364172

>>40364101
I don't pick my friends based on their intelligence, even if I might sometimes wish I did. If you avoid arguing with them about things they're A-OK. This argument unfortunately was pretty unavoidable.

>> No.40364194

>>40364121

Oh, I'll add that his Limit Break was 'Shameless Self-aggrandizement'. So he would take any risk, do anything that would make him more likeable. This usually manifested in bouts of unfeasible benevolence like creating Essence-draining engines that sucked life from large sections of Creation in order to power his flying city and rush construction on his Directional Titan. And of course, all his well-wishers were so thoroughly in thrall that they went:

> "That is an excellent idea! You are a genius for suggesting it, and you should do it right away!"

>> No.40364255

>>40349036

Some of the 2E Infernal Charms are wack. Like that one that makes you fall in love with your enemy, and the other one that allows you to channel your Virtues as successes rather than dice. (So you fall in love with him, and you love him so much you fuck him up, because the first charm makes harming/mutilation an action in line with the Intimacy.)

As an odd note, I vaguely recall that at some point, Abyssals had an Excellency that SUBTRACTED dice from the enemy, not added them. Am I remembering it wrongly, or was that a 1E thing?

>> No.40364279

>>40364255
I think that was 1e.

2e Infernals had that as TED's 2nd Excellency

>> No.40364292

>>40364255
>As an odd note, I vaguely recall that at some point, Abyssals had an Excellency that SUBTRACTED dice from the enemy, not added them. Am I remembering it wrongly, or was that a 1E thing?
You're remembering wrong. It's the Ebon Dragon Second Excellency that does that, not an Abyssal thing. Shadow Spite Curse lets you spend 3m per -1 penalty you want to inflict on your foes, up to a maximum external penalty of target's Essence + Stunt, reflexively in Step 2 of their action.

>> No.40364303

>>40364279

Yeah, that one seemed inherently hilarious to me. Like the Adorjan charm that created images of yourself, and when you flurried...They ALL flurried. And since Essence ping was a thing, you were pretty much guaranteed to shred your opponent in a hail of stabs.

>> No.40364329

>>40364303
>Like the Adorjan charm that created images of yourself, and when you flurried...They ALL flurried.
That's... not what it does. It's just you moving so fast that you look like you're in multiple places at once.

>And since Essence ping was a thing, you were pretty much guaranteed to shred your opponent in a hail of stabs.
But yes, this. Flurries rip shit up.

>> No.40364342

>>40364255
That was how Abyssals were described in the 1E core book, but they were reimagined by the time their own book was released.

It's like how they were said to be masters of necromancy before it was fully decided what "necromancy" actually entailed, so they were also said to be fond of certain Sorcery spells (like Incomparable Body Arsenal), and then later it's revealed that Necromancy was essentially "Sorcery, but with shadows and skeletons".

>> No.40364390

>>40364342

Not enough spooky scary skeletons.

For some reason, I can't help but wonder what happened to the iconics in the end. Swan, for instance, is pretty much a dead man walking. We also never really got a write-up for the perpetually down-on-his-luck White Bone Sinner.

>> No.40364811

>>40364303
I have to say, I fucking loved basically every Adorjan charm.

>> No.40364834

>>40364811
Everybody loves the Buddha! And she loves you all too.

>> No.40365085

>>40364834
Until she doesn't, and then the wind cries murder.

>> No.40365120

>>40364834
Eh. Adorjan isn't so much a Yozi Buddhist as a Yozi Jainist.

>> No.40365175

>>40365085
No, the wind cries murder when she *does* love you.

>> No.40365232

>>40364255
It wasn't an excellency per se, but they did have charms that removed dice from your opponents pool. In 1e they had it for melee and dodge. I remember them.well cause in a 1e mixed game 8 I was in many years ago a lunar character attacked me as soon as they found out my character was an abyssal without any provocation on my part. So i used that charm to remove his attack pool, whic made his big offensive multiple action combo automatically miss, and proceeded to cut his arm of which the limb chopping charm. He was pretty pissed, and it was awesome.

>> No.40365278

>>40365120
To be more specific, She's a Bodhisattva.
>>40365120
Somebody gets it.

>> No.40366508

>>40348264
Go home and leave an unfailable messenger for my nightbro to visit me and my third circle wife for drinks and dragonsluts
Afterwards I invent another drug pissing dinosaur with the funds I get and visit my sorcerer bros to test it
After a few month of drugs and sorcery shenanigans I come home and see the new funds and go partying in Yu Shan with that nice goddess
Hey maybe Benezet is up for that little fun time a trois?

... say what was the original question?

>> No.40366564
File: 42 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40366508
>Third circle wife

>> No.40366655

Hey, I'm playing around with an idea for a homebrew charm. I know, I know, /exg/ doesn't like to give feedback on those, but I think this one might just be generic enough. The idea is that it's a 1m, Essence 1 Archery charm which lets you reflexively reroll all non-1s on a failed Archery roll. The idea is that your arrow is ricocheting off of an object, or a tongue of fire doubling back to hit someone in the back, but that - with some of your dice being locked to 1s - it's both less likely to hit and more likely to botch than your normal attack.

What do you guys think?

>> No.40366670

>>40366655
I kinda see where you're coming from, but it's much closer to a full reroll than Solar charms usually go. It's also very, very cheap.

>> No.40366687

>>40366655
>>40366670
Also: I'm not sure I like the idea of a Solar charm, of all things, being balanced by a potential botch. It feels incredibly out-of-theme.

>> No.40366689

>>40366670
I agree with this guy. That is a LOT of fucking dice you're rerolling.

>> No.40366722

>>40366670
>>40366689
Yeah, mechanically, I'm basing it on Perfect Shadow Stillness, the Essence 1 Stealth charm that lets you reroll all non-10s at the cost of 1m 1wp. I figured forcing you to keep your 1s, rather than your 10s, would more than make up for it costing 1wp less to activate. This Archery charm would force you to reroll and discard all of your successes too; you'd only keep the 1s from the first roll.

I don't know, is that overpowered? It seems not only way weaker than Stealth's version of the charm. Would making it Perilous and Withering-Only help balance it out.

>> No.40366766

>>40352773
Freedom means to know where your freedom ends and another ones begins.

Seriously if ou keep arguing you're doing nothing but prove you don't know shit about freedom vs security

>> No.40366779

>>40366766
>keep arguing
That discussion is nearly 24 hours old, anon.

>> No.40367060

>>40366564
Fivethousand years can be a long time and an undying, ever changing demon wife will help elivate the boredom

>> No.40367254

A friend suggested me an idea earlier for my 2.5 twilight and I forgot to follow up on it, so I could do with some advice. They said to invent a new kind of plant that along with an edible harvest it also produces a prayer strip to me, to attempt to get a shit ton of prayers after spreading it. Is this feasible and if so how difficult would it be to set up?

>> No.40367366

>>40367254

Use a runic alphabet where a single character can convey a lot of information the same way many real world Asian languages do, I think Airtongue is like this, but I'm not sure. The plant should bloom into a many petaled flower with each petal containing a single character. Only be reciting the prayer, thus adding to your cult rating will the the flowers ripen, allowing them to become edible.

Needless to say, this would be made using Craft (Genesis).

>> No.40367415

>>40367366
Airtongue's more like cuneiform or norse runes. What you want is a glyph based alphabet, like High Realm though Old Realm is better.

>> No.40368195

You know, it's nice that they're adding flavour to charm trees, but does anyone else think they overdid it? Brawl's lousy with onslaught charms, you flat out can't get away from them unless you go pure grapple.

Even the classic, and far from onslaught styled, Heaven Thunder Hammer has an onslaught charm as a prerequisite. Out of four charm trees, only Vicious Lunge has no onslaught based charms.

>> No.40368290

>>40366779
I tend to scroll down and read everything in a thread and answer to anything that agitates me enough... not the best wa-... okay it's the worst way to do it

>> No.40368347

>>40366722

It's not OP, but it's super out of theme and also prone to breaking the fuck up if combined with an evocation to reroll 1s. I'd represent it by spending 4m and repeating the attack roll next round instead, as your projectile ricochets around.

>> No.40368399

>>40368195
>getting away from someone by grappling them
But, I... you-... that...
Okay, calm down, it's Exalted

>> No.40368404

>>40341696
Maybe magic onslaught just isn't a solar thing?

>> No.40368424

>>40368195
In fact, fuck it.

Thinking of making a whole new charm tree for Brawl. Anyone got some good inspiration? Punchy characters from cartoons, films or anime that would make good Solars. Actual charm suggestions or requests are also welcome.

>>40368399
I literally have no idea what you're trying to say.

>> No.40368434

>>40368424
Make a kamehameha charm

>> No.40368458

>>40368434
I'm not sure how good a charm would have to be before it was worth spending three turns charging. I guess you'd use the aim action as a mechanic?

>> No.40368476
File: 202 KB, 478x1004, Shen Woo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40368424

This guy. You got exactly two special moves, punch hard and punch harder. It's all you need to wreck shit. I bet you can do something with his moveset for the 'ONE PUNCH' brawler.

>> No.40368516

>>40368424
Here's an idea. Counter-counterattack. Reflexive charm that can be activated in response to counterattacks, but goes first. Very CROSS COUNTAH.

>> No.40368529

>>40368516
Isn't that just a Clash? Brawl has those.

>> No.40368648

>>40368529
I was thinking more Flashing Edge of Dawn.

...Also, Brawl's clash charms are shit.

>> No.40368747

>>40366722
>I don't know, is that overpowered?
The effect isn't overpowered in the slightest, people are just having a knee-jerk reaction to what looks really good but is actually an extremely reasonable mechanical effect - your reference to Perfect Shadow Stillness was an apt one. That said, it doesn't cost enough.

Let me explain.

Perfect Shadow Stillness can be as cheap as it is for two reasons - first, unlike an Archery attack, when you fuck up a Stealth check you usually fuck up your entire attempt at sneaking, whereas an archer can just fire another shot again next round having only had the opportunity cost of wasting an action and an arrow. Second, unlike an Archery check, most Stealth checks happen outside of combat, where you're not getting an additional 3m every turn; this is why non-combat Abilities tend to be cheaper, and have a lot more scene-long or discounting effects.

And, third, you just won't be using it that often. This isn't a 'use on every attack' charm like Excellent Strike, this is something that you're only even going to have the option to use when you miss, and might not even choose to use then depending on how many 1s you rolled, among other considerations.

So, I suggest you make it 3m or 4m in activation cost. That should patch any remaining issues.

>>40368347
>it's super out of theme
I disagree. Unreasonble amounts of failure-to-miss - whether it's bouncing an arrow off a wall like Robin Hood, curving a gunshot like in Wanted, or just being that damn good of a sniper are all extremely in-theme for a Solar Archery.

>> No.40368801

>>40368648
>...Also, Brawl's clash charms are shit.
No, Brawl's clash charms are ungodly amazing against anyone who can't reroll 1s.

>> No.40368897

>>40368801
Oh, you're thinking of FEF. It's great against anything that can't reserve 1s, sure.

It's just that Brawl's actual clash-generating charms are shit.

>> No.40369133

>>40368897

You mean the 'better than Melee gets' charms? Those charms? The best charms in the game for clashing that we've seen so far?

>> No.40369183

>>40369133
*tilts head*

...huh. So that's what it's like in Opposite World.

>> No.40369248

>>40369133
>>40369183
Can you guys at least compare mechanics rather than trash-talking?

Mostly >>40369183

>> No.40369253

>>40369183

No, seriously, exactly what charms are you comparing Blade-Rebuking Wrath and especially Intercepting Fury Smite with that makes them look bad? Fervent Blow? It's categorically worse than either of them, and Over And Under Method is better but not great due to the super high mote cost while still carrying a WP pricetag.

>> No.40369296

>>40369183
>Blade-Rebuking Wrath
>Force-Rending Strike
>Intercepting Fury Smite
>Fire-Eating Fist
>Ascendant Battle Visage
>>During this time, she may clash any attack as her combat action, without having to delay, and if she successfully clashes a ranged attack she immediately flashes into close range with her opponent, clashing, blurring over the distance and striking her target all in the same instant.

The only thing that Brawl needs that Melee has, when it comes to clashes, is a lower-essence charm for reflexively clashing Withering attacks. In every other respect, it's better.

>> No.40369313

>>40369253
I assume he's comparing Fervent Blow to its actual counterpart, Force Rending Strike, which is the same charm but 4 motes more expensive.

>> No.40369315

>>40369253

Like I mean, if you wanted to compare them to, I dunno, Falling Star Percussion, you might have a point, but you said Clash generators. The only Clash generator in Melee is Fervent Blow and all it has going for it is that it costs 1m to compensate for the fact that it costs WP.

>>40369296

Melee doesn't have that either. Are you thinking of Solar Counterattack?

>> No.40369350

>>40369315
>Melee doesn't have that either. Are you thinking of Solar Counterattack?
It seems I was.

In that case, yes, Brawl is better at Clashes than Melee, especially if their opponent doesn't have a 1s reroller, but even then.

>> No.40369354

>>40369253
BRW is worthless, what with not actually dealing damage and using an attack action as well.

Intercepting Fury Smite is TWO charms, and even then requires you to somehow be using an improvised weapon or two to be more useful.
>>40369313
Indeed.

>> No.40369365

>>40369313

That would be a disingenious comparison to make though, because Force Rending Strike is further up the chain. The proper comparison is Intercepting Fury Smite (which is technically also further up the chain, but hey, it's where the wide-applicability section of that tree stops). And sure, that costs three extra motes, but also no WP. It's a fair trade, and in fact I think I'd rather have the WPless cost due to spammability, enabling much more potent single target lockdown.

>> No.40369394

>>40369354
>BRW is worthless, what with not actually dealing damage and using an attack action as well.
Against anyone other than an exalt with Call the Blade, it ends the entire fight.

>> No.40369396

>>40369354
>even then requires you to somehow be using an improvised weapon or two to be more useful.
This is what bothers me. Why the fuck would you use an improvised weapon?
>>40369365
What is this bollocks? Comparing a charm to the exact same charm with a different cost is disingenuous?

>> No.40369417

>>40369354

If you think Blade-Rebuking Wrath is worthless you have no clue what you're talking about. It's a (potential) multi-turn stunlock that uses your Withering pool instead of your Decisive pool to fuel itself. You are seriously, seriously underestimating just how huge 'you just burnt your turn, we are still on EXACTLY the same init, and oh, you don't have your weapon now' is.

>> No.40369450

>>40369396

It's disingenious because you're not simply comparing charm to charm, you're comparing cost to cost as well. Force Rending Strike costs two charms to grab, Fervent Blow costs four. Of course FRS is gonna look weaker if you don't add in two extra charms, Fervent Blow was built with the assumption that it was balls deep in the counterstrike chain instead of right at the start of it. Add in two extra charms' worth of Clashing (Intercepting Fury Smite and Fire Eating Fist, say?) and the comparison starts to make more sense because you're no longer discussing charms in a vacuum and pretending it matters.

>> No.40369461

>>40369417
It costs initiative and on top of that only knocks the weapon away any distance at all if your dice-pools crushed his. Why are we basing a charm's value on how well it competes against an inferior opponent?

>> No.40369505

>>40369450
Ah, so the prerequisites are a cost now? Are you seriously implying having to take Flashing Edge of Dawn is some kind of counterbalance?

And again, Intercepting Fury Smite requires you to be using an improvised weapon, which is an actual cost. Draw/Ready action is not your friend, nor is spending initiative to attack.

>> No.40369506

>>40369394
Assuming you
1)Succeed
and
2)Get 3 or more extra successes

>>40369417
I'm underestimating nothing. It costs motes, it's major utility is using withering against decisive attacks (and that's assuming it doesn't match pools, as the wording is rather odd) and unless you plainly outmatch your opponent, you've just used your attack action to essentially delay combat.

>> No.40369623

>>40369506
>Assuming you
>1)Succeed
>and
>2)Get 3 or more extra successes
...yes? What charms are there that exist without Assumption 1? And even if you don't succeed with three or more successes, drawing/readying a weapon is not only an entire action, it also lowers your Defense by 1. And if you Flurry drawing/ready a weapon with an Attack action? You take an additional -1 Defense and take a -3 on your Attack action.

So, yes, I'd call a charm whose effect is 'if you succeed on your attack roll, the opponent takes -3 to Accuracy and -2 to Defense on their next turn. If you succeed with 3+ threshold successes, the fight's basically fucking over unless they have Call the Blade' a really good fucking charm.

>> No.40369672

>>40369461

Because you're a Solar and crushing dicepools with Big Dick Swinger numbers is sort of Your Thing? I mean, fuck, you have Ox-Stunning Blow as part of your own charmtree, you can FORCE shit dicepools when you feel the need. And again, you still knock the blade away on any kind of success. This matters, because I see a bunch of people...

>>40369506
>>40369461

...Who don't seem to get that it costs a Miscellaneous Action to pick up a dropped weapon. So. To recap:

A) If you win the Clash at all, the target is disarmed.
B) When disarmed, the target is gonna be deprived of attack and defense bonuses until he recovers his weapon.
C) Unless the target has Call The Blade, recovering said weapon is a combat action, meaning they're down a turn.
D) Blade Rebuking Wrath has a very specific init cost that means that, if you win the clash, you are GUARAN-FUCKING-TEED to go on the same tick as your opponent again (unless the '+3 init' clash attack rules apply to it. If it does you go first instead and disregard the following). THIS IS IMPORTANT. It means your opponent is toting some bigass penalties (assuming they're using a Light or Medium arti weapon, we're talkin' -1 Onslaught, -2 Clash, -1 No Weapon) and has to spend a turn to restore his dicepools to normal. So he has to pick between a clash he's likely to lose to prevent further damage, spending a turn with shit defense to recover his blade, or running away. All bad choices.
E) If you beast the roll and win by a lot, the target is locked in melee range, with no weapon, huge penalties, and no chance of recovering his pools. At that point you win the fight.

BRW is a good charm. It is a GREAT charm, in fact. Don't underestimate it.

>>40369505

One of the nice things about Brawl is that you can carry an improvised weapon in hand and still have artifact access via smashfists. It's not as complicated to keep IFS going as it seems.

>> No.40369724

>>40369623
Assuming you're the same anon, goalposts moved a bit there. It went from 'Ends the fight' to 'Getting 3+ successes ends the fight, but isn't what's good about the charm'.

>>40369672
>One of the nice things about Brawl is that you can carry an improvised weapon in hand and still have artifact access via smashfists. It's not as complicated to keep IFS going as it seems.
So now you're carrying a crude club, which allows you to make Force-Rending Strike ALMOST as good as Fervent Blow. Once. After that, you have to use those draw/ready actions you were just shit talking.

>> No.40369761

>>40369724

Are you really going to need more than one Decisive Clash to win a fight against a single guy, man? You'd figure that the Wound Penalties would sort of take care of business afterward.

>> No.40369787

>>40369724
>Assuming you're the same anon, goalposts moved a bit there.
I am the same anon, and you, you do not understand what that term means. Flinging the weapon away, ending the entire fight, IS what's good about the charm. It just has additional benefits to it which make it even fucking better.

I was responding to the concerns you raised, not backpedaling on my 100% accurate statement, you stupid fuck.

>> No.40369804

>>40369787
>Against anyone other than an exalt with Call the Blade, it ends the entire fight.
That's a 100% accurate statement? You seem to be missing a few qualifiers.

>> No.40369874

Am I the only one that starts all his characters with a backup weapon or two?
Precisely because I'm afraid of being disarmed.

>> No.40369895

>>40369874
Can't get unarmed when you're fighting with your fists, mothafuckah

>> No.40369911

>>40369895
well, someone could cut off your arms and 'disarm' you

>> No.40369933

>>40369874
>Am I the only one that starts all his characters with a backup weapon or two?
You'll still fall prey to the 'either take an entire turn to pull out a new weapon at -1 Defense or flurry for -3 Accuracy, -2 Defense' problem, even if you have a backup weapon on you. But no, I take a page out of the Witcher and usually carry an artifact weapon for fighting serious opponents, a steel or bronze weapon for fighting scrubs, and an iron weapon for killing fairies.

>> No.40369964

>>40368424
>Thinking of making a whole new charm tree for Brawl. Anyone got some good inspiration? Punchy characters from cartoons, films or anime that would make good Solars. Actual charm suggestions or requests are also welcome.
This got a bit lost in the ensuing clash argument. Any more suggestions?

>> No.40369968

>>40369874

Multiple arti weapons cost a shitload of motes to use. It's not practical, and any other weapon will mean -1 to accuracy, -3 to damage, and -1 to defense.

>> No.40369969

>>40369933
Quick Draw merit
not really, that thing is WAY overpriced.

>> No.40370017

>>40369968
Of course it's not an artifact. And the slightly worse stats are vastly preferable to being unarmed.
And there's lots of situations where you don't want to swing an artifact around, because that sucker draws attention like crazy.

>> No.40370260

>>40369964

Space Control and Charge Character tree. As in, something that pushes people back and forth, and also some sorta Reflexive charm you can 'hold' that gives you bonuses for not getting attacked at all that stack up if you keep spending on it, until it's time to unload. Think like Megaman or Zero's busters in the Marvel vs Capcom games, except for punching.

>> No.40370310

>>40370260
Hmm. Wouldn't those be Athletics charms?

>> No.40370343

If you drop a manse's hearthstone down to level 0 does it produce a token for attunment or does it produce nothing? If the latter then who does the manse obey?

>> No.40370386

>>40370343
>If you drop a manse's hearthstone down to level 0 does it produce a token for attunment or does it produce nothing?
It produces nothing.

>If the latter then who does the manse obey?
The person who attunes to it and therefore takes ownership. Owning a manse has literally never had anything to do with holding the hearthstone. Being the owner of the manse lets you draw essence from the hearthstone, not the other way around.

And yes, that does mean that hearthstones are worthless to anyone other than the attuned user for anything other than powering magitech artifacts.

>> No.40370527

>>40370386
Okay thanks, I thought ownership of a manse was being attuned to the hearthstone. Now I know better.

>> No.40370539

>>40370527
Yeah, it's the opposite. Ownership of a hearthstone is being attuned to its manse.

>> No.40370636

>>40370310

They could be, yes. Could just as easily be Brawl though. I can see room for them in either place.

And of course, there's another option...Shoryuken and Hadoken trees. Basically look at the things those moves do (act as approach denial/reversals when stuck in deep shit and harassment from range and difficulty approaching), then adapt those purposes to the solar toolkit.

>> No.40370638

>>40369505
>Ah, so the prerequisites are a cost now?
If you want to be taken seriously yes. Comparing a entry level charm to a charm much deeper in a tree only makes you look like an idiot.

>> No.40370677

>>40370636
>Hadoken
Apocalypse Flare Attack, anyone?

>> No.40370720

>>40370677

More of a kamehameha or Shinkuu Hadoken, really. The standard hadoken is a zoning tool, not a punish or ender. Apocalypse Flare is most comparable to Incarnate Wrath Attack than anything else.

>> No.40370899

>>40370638
So just adding Fervent Blow to Brawl would be fine then, providing it was the same distance in? So it would have Force-Rending Strike and 3 other charms as prerequisites. Hell, you could just call it an upgrade to FRS.

>> No.40370933

>>40370899

No, because then you could chain it with Intercepting Fury Smite and get a 0 motes 0 WP clash charm. Just roll with it. Brawl is fine on clashes.

>> No.40370955

>>40370933
Insert a clause saying it only works unarmed. Bam, no abusing it by using that shit-heap of a charm.

>> No.40371082

>>40368424
Okay, let me put it that way
>getting away from someone by grabbing them

>> No.40371154

>>40370955

Or you could just not poach Fervent Blow and use Brawl's own charms, which are more than good enough. 'just add shit randomly' is the worst school of game design. Good design is simple, short and elegant.

>> No.40371175

>>40371082
99% sure he meant get away from onslaught penalties.

>> No.40373770

So, how are people enjoying 3e?

>> No.40373861

>>40373770
A lot.

>> No.40373874

>>40373770
weekly

>> No.40373895

>>40373770
with your mother

every night

>> No.40374110

>>40373895
>my mother is playing more 3e than I am

>> No.40374128

>>40374110
Oh, no, she's just helping me 'enjoy' it.

>> No.40374138

>>40373770
Trying to start a game but terrified of the players on /tg/.

>> No.40374164

>>40374138
Don't be. My current group was from 4chan and they're some of the best players I've played with.

pls let me play 3e with you

>> No.40374192

>>40374138
I joined a game advertised on here and on reddit, according to the ST and it was great until the ST disappeared.

3e was so much fun I want to play it again

>> No.40374257

>>40374138
Would you have any interest in running a solo, email-based game for me, then, if you're having that hard of a time working yourself up?

Yes, I really am shameless enough to just ask for a thing I want.

>> No.40374577

>>40374138
We are shameless monsters, true. But you could always just walk away if it's a pain in the ass. Run it over IRC or with a messenger / site account you don't care about, if you're worried about neckbeards showing up on your doorstep with lovingly, poorly illustrated Mnemon x Desus porn.

>> No.40374621

>>40374577
Well, I mean, I'm not going to pull out a silly character for a new DM.

It's not like I'm going to play that one catgirl I played once.

>> No.40374677

>>40373770

I hate it. At least I'll always have muh 2e books.

>> No.40375414

>>40373770
Having a pretty good time. Both playing and running a game.

>> No.40375444

>>40375414
I'm surprised at how many people have found games.

I have found zero. But I'm staying strong and scouring both this thread and the gamefinder threads.

>> No.40375465

>>40375444
>scouring both this thread and the gamefinder threads
I found your problem.

>> No.40375514

>>40375465
Is there some other thread I should be looking in?

>> No.40375554

>>40375514
You shouldn't be expecting to find a game on 4chan. Those gamefinder threads are almost literally never successful, and people don't recruit in generals. Recruit from your group of friends.

>> No.40375569

>>40375514
It's like finding a job, all about that networking. I'm running Exalted 3e but the first people I contacted were (in descending order of preference): people I've played with in real life, GMs that have run games for me, people I've played with online, friends of all the above friends that can vet them.

>> No.40377184

>>40375444
And both of mine are in person.

>> No.40377770

>>40364121
>>40364194

You know what they say about eggs and omelettes. Couldn't he just order them to not kill unbelievers?

>> No.40377909

>>40377770

Well, like all Solars, he was very good at not seeing things he didn't want to. That would have upset him, and everyone around him wouldn't want him to be upset.

>> No.40378267

>>40373770
I'm liking it. I'm glad I wasn't insane for waiting all this time for the game.

>> No.40378831

In 3e, you're supposed to buy Martial Arts separately for each style you learn, but you can use multiple styles' charms together.

If you take a martial arts action bolstered by charms from two different styles that you have different scores in, how do you determine which score to use for the roll?

>> No.40378861

>>40378831

The highest, I'd say.

>> No.40378866

>>40378831

The one you choose to use. Can't change it halfway though, it goes like this: Pick style, make roll, apply charms to roll (if supplemental).

>> No.40380360

In 3e, can you use a defend other action if the attacker beats your initiative?

>> No.40380596

>>40380360

Only if it's reflexive.

>> No.40383206

>>40375554
>Recruit from your group of friends.
Yeah. My friends weren't necessarily interested in Exalted beforehand, but they're generally up for a game if someone's running one. Hopefully I'll manage a good enough game to get someone else interested enough to ST someday. That's probably my best shot of actually getting to play.

>> No.40383597

If I am playing a crafting twilight in 2.5, what stat do I want higher? Perception or wits.

>> No.40384109

>>40383597
Perception for massive trolling:

A crafter in 2.5 should always have Sorcery (f.e. Demons getting you ingredients). Get 5 spells you like (good for pretending you're not minmaxing) and go for Essence 5 (easy, if you're starting with 4 or even 5 thanks to flaws).

Now buy Salinan Absorption.

Now find some reason you're using Perception for your crafting roll. Some bullshit like counting motes on a nanoscale for the best balanced Daiklave in the whole world.
Use your excellency to the fullest.

Now enjoy getting more free knowledge/facts than any player in Mage ever has.

If you ever get to have down time to craft you won the story.

Your ST will hate you now and you can ask him to upgrade to EX3.

>> No.40384140

>>40378831
You use the lowest, just like in literally any other situation like that. Luckily, it's barely am issue, since that martial arts are almost completely incompatible with each other. The only ones that are halfway compatible with each other are the ones that share Unarmed as a form weapon, and even then, they don't make Artifact unarmed, so you're actually just going to use the weapon from your primary style and use your secondary style never.

Martial Arts are for people who want to spend Solar XP instead of Real XP on fighting, not for people who want to be the ultimate mixed martial arts master. Buy Evocations if you want something to supplement your primary style.

>> No.40384144

>>40378866
You have to pick your charms before the roll, actually.

>> No.40384149

>>40383206
>Hopefully I'll manage a good enough game to get someone else interested enough to ST someday. That's probably my best shot of actually getting to play.
You poor, naive child.

>> No.40384236

>>40384149
Eh, my group has people who are into running games, so it shouldn't be *that* difficult. Hopefully.

>> No.40384389

>>40384140
By my count you could mix Steel Devil and Single Point Shining Into the Void (dual slashing sword, Steel Devil and Snake (dual hook swords), Ebon Shadow and Tiger (tiger claws) or Snake, Crane and Dreaming Pearl Courtesan (war fan in one hand, hook sword in the other)

>> No.40384490

>>40384389
Or, you know, fight unarmed. Many styles can be used without weapons, Steel Devil and Single Point are minority.

>> No.40384502

>>40384490
>Or, you know, fight unarmed.
There's no artifact unarmed weapon. It's a strictly poor choice.

>> No.40384676

>>40384389

Just because you can mix styles doesn't mean you should. Tiger and Ebon Shadow have no real synergy to speak of.

>> No.40384694

>>40384389
Most of those styles go horribly together. Just buy Evocations to supplement your real style.

>> No.40385225

Are there any size comparison maps of Earth continents/locations to places in Creation? I've heard the Blessed Isle is the size of two Australias, or the size of Russia, for example, but I've never seen a nice, evocative overlay to that effect.

>> No.40385280

>>40337376

I posted this a while back. It's still pretty beta though.

http://howsfamily.net/Exalted

>> No.40385501

Do any of the unarmored styles have strong enough defenses to make up for the loss, or are you always better off going with a style that lets you armor up?

>> No.40385544

>>40385501
Diamond Body Prana actually exists for more or less the sole purpose of boosting the soak of people with unarmored martial arts styles. So no, the unarmored styles don't really offer potent enough defenses, but Resistance makes up for that.

Most unarmored martial arts have access to various kinds of Evasion buffs, so a person with those styles does well to also invest in Dodge and Resistance, basically.

>> No.40385605

>>40352529

The motes used to activate HPM in indefinite mode are also committed indefinitely, yeah? So it's not *exactly* for 2m - it's for 2m plus a 7m reduction in the size of your essence pool, per p.306, yeah?

>> No.40385678

>>40385605
Committing 7m to HPM is an extremely worthwhile investment, since that's the equivalent of a 3m excellency permanently on all social interaction (without risk of anima flare, and without having to bump up against the fact that you don't have a per-round mote drip in non-combat) and, even more importantly, it reduces the cost of all other social charms by 1m. Generally speaking, committed motes are far less expensive to a character than spent motes.

I'm not disagreeing with your correction, mind you, just qualifying it.

>> No.40385755

Does anyone have a link to the cheat sheet and projects homebew, plus the shaping rituals pdf? They should probably be in the OP.

>> No.40385782

>>40385755
I have some of the pdfs, but I don't think anyone's bothered to put them up on a share site yet.

>> No.40385793

>>40385782

>> No.40386003

>>40385782
>I have some of the pdfs, but I don't think anyone's bothered to put them up on a share site yet.
Well fuck, putting them in the OP was about the limit of my capacity for effort.

>> No.40386068
File: 142 KB, 426x612, Lunar Sorceress and Solar Husbando.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>40385782
>>40385793
>>40386003
Sorcery:
https://mega.co.nz/#!7otghaAL!CiqQnOmb_GhS1pNPJVG4PlcuyNYkiJfIKZn0wnF2u9Y

Projects:
https://mega.co.nz/#!ewdAQLiS!z_f5Arbkh0xz2b_UFLWX7MwlFA6JFR9lZs89VvGNsZA

Cheers.

>> No.40386224

With all the roles a Fae can play, has anyone ever seen one in a game playing a heroic role?

Clearly they wouldn't be a good person due to it, they lack the person part but every story needs a hero as much as a villain and I don't think I've ever seen a Knight In Shining Armour played by a Fae or a Holy Paladin, fighting for goodness.

>> No.40386380

New thread:
>>40386374
>>40386374
>>40386374

>> No.40386835

>>40385501

There's a set of light armour that let's you use it with MA styles that otherwise forbid it.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action