[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 7 KB, 320x200, Keen4screenshot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1693837 No.1693837 [Reply] [Original]

Keen thread?

>favourite game?
>favourite level?
>favourite enemy?
>worst keen moment?

>> No.1693853

>>1693837

I don't remember the level or the game, but it had 5 of those bloody purple/blue bulldog dudes bouncing all over the platform that led to the level exit. Damn near impossible to get through at the time.

>> No.1693883

Man, Commander Keen was my childhood. I never had any consoles until middle school because they were expensive and we were kinda poor but we always had computers so stuff like commander keen was my jam. I think 4 was my favorite IIRC. I always hated that level in Keen dreams where all those cherries monsters kept climbing around these poles or vines or whatever. That shit scared me as a little kid and I kept dying there.

>> No.1694201
File: 63 KB, 600x450, keen hanging.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1693883

Are you me?
I also used to have nightmares of keen dreams when I was a kid. Particularly of the bayonet armed potatoes. And the angry head banging broccoli.

Loved the bonus level in Doom.

>> No.1694216

>favourite game
Keen 5
>favourite level
Keen 5, Quantum Explosion Dynamo (final level).
Forbidden Pyramide (secret level) from Keen 4 is pretty neat as well. Keen 5's Gravitational Damping Hub (Spirogrip level) is also really good.
>favourite enemy
Robo Red because he was my favourite character in the game when I was a kid.
>worst keen moment
Can't actually remember any. I know I managed to get out of bounds on the world map by accident in both Keen 2 and 5 and thought it was intentional, and I think I had to start over in Keen 2, but I was more amazed at being able to run around outside of the usual map to be angry about it. If anything I was sad once I realized there wasn't anything to do next to walking around in space on the map.

>>1693883
>>1694201
Huh, I only had Keen 1 through 5 without Dreams, and I never had any nightmares. Maybe Dreams was the most nightmare-inducing game out of the bunch.

Also, I just remembered that Keen 6 had some of the best music out of the bunch. The music playing in the Bloogton Manufacturing level might be my favourite Keen song even though I hadn't played 6 until much later.

>> No.1694232
File: 16 KB, 442x256, product.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1694216

I think the title screen summed it up.

kek

>> No.1694376

Favorite game? Probably 4. I think it has the most variety with level themes; pyramids, villages, caves, etc.
The other Keen games all stick to one specific theme way too much.

Favorite level? The glass city in Keen 4 with the vanishing floors. I think it was called Miragia or something. When I was a kid I discovered a glitch, that if you're hanging off the edge of a disappearing platform you won't fall when it disappears.

>> No.1694449

>>1693837
>favourite game?
When I was a kid it was Keen 4, because first one I ever played. Now I think I like 6 the best.

>favourite level?
Probably Miragia from Keen 4, or the final level from Keen 6. That first room with the black background and massive gap that you had to ride platforms to cross.

>favourite enemy?
Either Robo Red or the Shikadi, both from Keen 5.

>worst keen moment?
Keen 3, the missile silo level where you go down into a tiny cave and there's those Ninja Vorticons everywhere. I think I died about 5 dozen times on my most recent playthrough.

Also, who else loved the ending to Keen 3? "I and the other Vorticons you haven't slaughtered... Shit cracked me up.

>> No.1694516

>>1694201
I don't know if I had nightmares but Keen Dreams did seem the scariest to me as a kid. I think its because you only had those stupid stun bombs instead of a gun. Semi-related, I played stuff like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Chex-quest when I was little and that shit scared me. When I got a little older real 3D shooters didn't do anything to me but playing some of the older ones still did for a while. Not sure why

>> No.1694527

>>1694376
Oh shit I forgot about that one. The whole damn city kept vanishing so you had to wait. Neat concept though

>> No.1694536
File: 286 KB, 949x1101, 2xl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1694516

Yeah I played Wolf, Doom, Blood, Nitemare 3d.
Never had a problem with that.

Just teh 2 X-L Robot, Keens Dreams and the chance of spontaneous human combustion kept me up as a kid.

>> No.1694550

>>1694536
Well I don't think you have much to worry about with spontaneous human combustion unless you are a fat alcoholic who smokes

>> No.1695456

>>1693837

>>favourite game?

definitely keen4e.exe, with keen 6 coming close.

>>favourite level?

Off the top of my head, I loved the city levels in keen 3, I loved Bloogton Tower and the Bloogdome and Bloogville. From Keen 4 I loved the pyramids and the chasm of chills. Nothing from Keen 5 really stands out.

>>favourite enemy?

The poison slug always holds a place in my heart, as does Ceilick and the goddamn Gnosticene Ancients.

>>worst keen moment?

Well of Wishes

>> No.1696383
File: 47 KB, 1056x1056, CommanderKeenInGoodbye,Galaxy!-TheArmageddonMachine-Level11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1694449
Is it possible to not kill any Vorticons in Keen 3? I don't even remember if it might be possible even though I did some 100% runs of Keen 1-3 earlier this year. If so, did they bother changing the text for if you don't kill any of them?

>You probably need to, though, at least those ninjas near the end of that level with the rocket.
Which happens to be probably the worst level in Keen 3.

>> No.1696446
File: 558 KB, 845x703, keen3 end.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1696383
>You probably need to, though, at least those ninjas near the end of that level with the rocket.
Yeah, I think you're right about that. Even so, I doubt the text at the end would change. Still, the Vorticons take the whole incident really well, all things considered.

>> No.1696561

>>1696446
Are you implying Keen isn't holding his gun to that Vorticon's back during that photograph?

>> No.1696678

>>1696383
>did they bother changing the text for if you don't kill any of them

what's this about?

>> No.1697871

>>1696678
At the end of Keen 2/during the course of Keen 3 Billy learns that the Vorticons are, in fact, not evil, and are under mind control by the mysterious "Grand Intellect." At the end of Keen 3 the Vorticon leader mentions the fact that you slaughtered many Vorticons (no hard feelings though), and that Anon was wondering if, should you avoid killing a single Vorticon, the text at the end cutscene would change.

>> No.1697893
File: 112 KB, 470x651, 1315846939162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have yet to actually finish a commander keen game except for the first shareware one. I'm curious what does /vr/ think of the Commander Genius sourceport and is it preferable to playing on dosbox?

>> No.1697901
File: 94 KB, 800x544, Sgapage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who else could read the Standard Galactic Alphabet like it was your native language? On a recent playthrough of both trilogies it all came flooding back about halfway through Keen 1.

>> No.1697907

>>1697893
I've never played Commander Genius, but you've definitely piqued my interest. As for the original games I think they still hold up today as fantastic games, and are even better when you complete them as trilogies. Make sure you read the story pages in the help menu.

>> No.1698443

>>1697893

I bought the series on steam for like 1 buck or something, and that version runs perfectly fine.

>> No.1698683

>>1698443
Same, it's awesome how a lot of the old dos games are becoming available again.
I still haven't gotten time to play through keen again, but remember beating it when I was a kid. I never did completely beat episode two, but beat episode 1 and 3 many times.
I'll never forget discovering the galactic alphabet for the first time. I'd noticed repetitions in the characters throughout the games and figured out some letters, but that moment was amazing to me.

>> No.1698816

very similar to >>1694216 but here it goes:
>favourite game?
Keen 5
>favourite level?
Last level of Keen 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkNS-5Q6k20
>favourite enemy?
Blooguards or Shikadi Master
>worst keen moment?
>>1694449 That fucking missile silo in Keen 3 had me going insane when I tried beating it with an awful throat ache, when I was around 5 years old.

It's really sad that the first three games didn't have soundtracks, the ones composed for 4-5-6 are just fucking amazing ear-worms.

>> No.1698823

>>1694216
> I know I managed to get out of bounds on the world map by accident in both Keen 2 and 5
Isn't there a secret level in Keen 5 thats outside the map's normal boundries that you could have gone to? I never knew if it was accessible without cheats...

>> No.1699020
File: 48 KB, 768x1760, CommanderKeenInGoodbye,Galaxy!-TheArmageddonMachine-Omegamatic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1698823
There is a secret level in Keen 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
In 1 you have to use an alternate exit (teleporter) in the ice level.
In 3 you ride on nessy. I never knew that level in 3 was supposed to be "secret" as a kid, but apparently it is.
In 4 you collect the worms in that one pyramid level and ride on a giant foot to the Forbidden Pyramid.
In 5 you take the alternate exit in this level >>1696383 of course I posted this in advance so I could just link to it now - It's that thing in the middle to the very left.
That thing transports you to that secret level at the bottom.

I wasn't out of bounds there, though, but when I walked against some wall or edge in Keen 5 I just popped right through the wall and was walking around in out of space.
I couldn't get back in, but didn't overwrite the save. It actually happened to me twice in Keen 5, though.
Pic related, Keen 5 map. I could walk around over the stars and whatnot. Nothing to do there, though.

>> No.1699216

>>1699020
You remember what version you got out of bounds on the world map in? It sounds plausible, since zipping like that can happen in levels, and the world map shares a lot of mechanics with the actual levels.