[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 94 KB, 640x433, ff2bx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3159035 No.3159035 [Reply] [Original]

I am playing FF2 for the NES, I did play some of it, but I am getting sick of the Stat Downs (Thank you DoS for spoonfeeding me no stat penalties), what are recommended builds for the 3 protagonists?

Any recommended strategies of how to level in the NES version?

>> No.3159108

>>3159035
>what are recommended builds for the 3 protagonists?

Whatever you want them to be.

>Any recommended strategies of how to level in the NES version?

You should know this already.

>> No.3159207

>>3159108
I'm just curious as to what is the most efficient way. It's much harder in the NES version due to the stat penalties if you use attacks/magic too much in battle, is there a max required amount of specific actions per battle before the penalties kick in? I do know that Max HP and MP will not decrease no matter what you do, but I am more concerned about trying to kill Captains in Fynn for the money and potential armor drops, in the GBA version I just leveled up my magic until around level 6-8 for all my characters, but here, if I did grind my magic alone, my strength and physical stats will plummet, making the characters take higher damage, hence why I am asking about the limit of times I should use an action in battle.

>> No.3159227

>>3159207
>I'm just curious as to what is the most efficient way
Specialize, you can't have a party of gary stus that are good at everything, you want Firion to be a good fighter? Let him attack with whichever weapon you want, conversely, you want him to be a mage? Use spells and little else in every fight.
>is there a max required amount of specific actions per battle before the penalties kick in?
No, penalties activate on a ratio balance trigger of your stat gains and current stats.
>but I am more concerned about trying to kill Captains in Fynn for the money and potential armor drops
By that point you should be already strong enough to do that with little problems.
>but here, if I did grind my magic alone, my strength and physical stats will plummet, making the characters take higher damage
The penalty isn't so steep, but yes, as I said before, you must specialize.

Little tip from someone who played FF2 more than 10 times, the key to avoid grinding lies in knowing what to exploit during your travels, it's kind of hard to believe, but the game is very carefully crafted so that there's tons of enemies that reward you with either drops or potential specific stat gains, if you decide to take detours you might even break the game further but that's not a lot of fun to just grind for hours in a togh area and just steamroll everything just to repeat the process.
As I said, the game has a careful selection of enemies along the way that can make you grow your characters the way you want effortlessly, you just need to use your brain a bit, cast magic each battle, don't run away and all the usual tips for avoiding grinding apply here as well.

And captains in Fynn are shit for money gains, you should kill sorcerers in the forest nearby to farm Berserk scrolls, they sell for a shitload of money.

>> No.3159237

I know this is /vr/, but you really should just play the PSP version unless you're a masochist.

>> No.3160667

>>3159035
>(Thank you DoS for spoonfeeding me no stat penalties)
Oh. No wonder I had an argument once about how it's impossible to be good at both black magic and fightiness. I would have never guessed they'd wussify the gameplay that bad in the remake.
>Any recommended strategies of how to level in the NES version?
Just keep having the character do the one thing you want them to be good at. Really is that simple. Although I do remember having Guy use both white magic and fist attacks, I'm not sure if those two conflict with each other.