[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 5 KB, 256x240, Dragon Warrior III (U).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3159513 No.3159513 [Reply] [Original]

I've been playing Dragon Warrior III on a nes emulator and I'm enjoying it. I just found out that there was a remake in 1996 for Super Famicon and there is a ROM with an english translation. Is there any reason to stop what I'm doing and play that version or should i just continue playing the NES version

>> No.3159521

It depends on how much you like opening a menu to talk to people. If you've been doing just fine doing that so far, you can keep playing the NES version. If you hate it, you can play the SNES or GBC version.

>> No.3159526
File: 1 KB, 46x46, Goodybag_DQIII_NES.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I personally think the original version has its own charm, the SNES remake is amazing and the GBC remake has extra stuff, but the original is the original, I also kind of like the NES soundtrack better than the other versions.

I say just keep playing.

If you ever feel like playing through it again in the future, you can play the other versions to see how they're like. Inherently there's nothing wrong with the original DWIII.

>> No.3159559

The SFC has:
updated graphics
updated controls
rebalancing
extra content

Dragon Warrior 3 also had censorship and rebalancing compared to the Famicom original.

>> No.3159961
File: 176 KB, 300x296, 300px-DQIIISageClass.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since you got this fine DQ3 thread here, I won't make a new one.

So I'm playing DQ3 with a party of a Warrior, the Hero, a Monk and a Cleric. Up to the Boss Troll battle I was fine without defense and offense buffs. But that fucker gave me a nasty scare after casting defense down on my party. He did 90 damage twice per turn. It only took me two tries, but if I know anything about DQ, is that the next bosses will be that but much, much worse.

So, I tried to use my Zen Book to turn one of my characters into a Sage... my Monk was out of the question, being my main damage dealer. It would also be bad for me to have to start over with my Cleric at this point, I need her to learn Multiheal and Insulate to deal with those breath attacks that I know are coming. So, I tried my Warrior, who I used as a tank, who I though could be replaced by the Heroine.

But after leveling him up to level 14 (without saving) he was fucking worthless. Despite having massive Stamina and HP, 40 MP and a whopping 21 Wisdom made me react very negatively to him. My other characters are like level 24-26.

So. Would he be worth keeping as a Sage eventually? Will I regret not continuing without the spells of a Wizard? Should I turn my Cleric into a Sage? Am I good as I am?

Pls halp me /vr/.

>> No.3160250
File: 100 KB, 503x500, dw3gbc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3159513
All version of that game are great my favorite
being the Gameboy Color version.

>> No.3160381

>>3159513
Both are great, ideally do both and you can compare and see the improvements. SNES version adds thief class iirc and looks gorgeous.

>> No.3160501
File: 129 KB, 1920x1080, 1389240117467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3159513
super famicom has more classes, less grinding and my favorite change which is Personality which makes the stats more complex. You should drop the nes version and play the super famicom. It's great

>> No.3160572

>>3160501
Don't forget the bikinis.

>> No.3160716

>>3159961
>Should I turn my Cleric into a Sage?
Not possible, you've already used your book. But yes, it would have been the logical choice to turn a magic user into the sage.

>> No.3160835

>>3160716
Nah, I didn't save, I kept my warrior and my book. That's why I was asking.

I guess I'll not even bother then, as like I said, I want to keep my cleric. Let's see how I manage.

This is a very nice game btw. The enemy animations are great.

>> No.3160862

>>3160835
I don't think there's any benefit to clerics over sages besides leveling speed. Pretty sure sages can use all the equipment clerics can and more.

>> No.3160883
File: 35 KB, 470x370, Dragon Quest III Classes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3160572

>> No.3160894

>>3159961
I know you don't want to, but turn the Monk into a Sage. Sages actually have decent attack power, and since it was previously a Monk, it'll have superior Agi for getting off spells early in the round. The only downside is that you won't be getting crits as often.
Later on, when it's learned some of the more integral spells and a good MP pool, you can change your Cleric into a Monk. This way, you'll have a really fast backup healer. Emphasis on backup, since the Monk won't be gaining additional MP.

>>3160716
No, that isn't the logical choice. In fact it's a waste.

>> No.3161384

>>3160862
>>3160894
Alright then, if I were to make one of my characters into a Sage I would choose either the Cleric or the Monk, not the Warrior, but

>t would also be bad for me to have to start over with my Cleric at this point, I need her to learn Multiheal and Insulate to deal with those breath attacks that I know are coming
>Will I regret not continuing without the spells of a Wizard?

This still worries me, and my main motivation for getting Sage is learning those buff and debuffs, quite frankly. Will I be in a bad spot if I learn those Cleric spells later? It would be way, way later, like 10 levels from where I am now, and those would be Sage levels. That's why I tried the Warrior, the role of a tank seemed the most pointless in my team, even if he's an amazing tank, all things considered.

>> No.3161761

>>3161384
This is why I suggest changing the Monk. This will give your Cleric time to learn those spells, while your new Sage is growing into it's new role. Once the Cleric has learned the must-have spells, change it to something else, and you'll have it available as an emergency healer/secondary buffer for those spells that Clerics learn, so that you can get your defences up that much quicker at the start of battle or when a boss debuffs them.

As for your Warrior, I can't really suggest anything. Warriors don't really have much going for them that would benefit other classes, with the possible exception of Wizard because they're so squishy. You could turn it into a Monk, I suppose, but that would leave the question of what to turn your Cleric into later, if you're the kind of person who doesn't like having multiples of the same class in a party.

>> No.3162161

>>3161761
> I suggest changing the Monk
I'm still hesitant cuz she also has 0 MP and shitty, SHITTY wisdom so she'll be as disappointing as my Warrior was; not to mention she's my main damage dealer, the one who kills metal slimes, uses items on emergencies... that cannotbe covered by the Hero nor the Warrior. I should have made a Mage to begin with, I expected the Hero to have way better spells. I guess DQ5's spoiled me.

Also I don't think I'm going to be making all those changes, I just wanted to have the mage spells available. Do I really have to? Sounds way too much of a hassle, and I think I'm more than halfway through the game. I just want to be able to finish it.

>> No.3162442

>>3162161
You can totally just keep trucking.

>> No.3162527
File: 288 KB, 764x764, 23843258.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3162442
Oh well, I will. I just managed to plow through Necrogond cave with like 30 MP left from my Cleric. I'll do my best from here on.

>> No.3162604

>>3160716
>Not possible, you've already used your book

You can class change any level 20 character and the Book of Satori is not a consumable item. All it does is allow a character to class-change into a Sage (and Goof-Offs can do this without the book if you were somehow level 20 before reaching the Shrine.)

>> No.3162621

>>3162604
The book is consumed when the character holding it changes classes into a Sage. That's why there are two of them in the game. Once you've used your books, your only way to get Sages is to level a Jester/Goof-Off