[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 551 KB, 1074x1385, DRACULA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
351781 No.351781 [Reply] [Original]

Time for another Castlevania general thread, pre- and post-SotN. Just finished SotN myself and starting up on Bloodlines this afternoon. Trying to alternate Original and Metroidvania as I go through the series, and I'm actually finding I like Metroidvania a bit more. Still have yet to get to Super IV and Rondo, however.

Preference? Favorites? Suggestions?

>> No.351839

>>351781
i have a twisted love for dracula x on snes. go on and hate me for it.

>> No.351841

I had a bad experience with one of the metroidvanias for GBA when I was a bit younger (had no idea what I was doing) and haven't been brave enough to seet foot in old man Drac's castle ever since. Now I'm wondering, which one of the metroidvanias is best to start with?

>> No.351847

>>351841
sotn, obviously.

>> No.351883

>>351781
Make sure you do a Richter and Maria run as well. I found Richter to be quite enjoyable, although Galamoth is just a complete beast who I cheesed my way through.

I prefer the metroidvania's as well but mostly because they feel very refined and have very lovely spritework and backgrounds, especially in SotN. I often find myself just stopping to admire all the work they put into the art.

I'm currently playing the original Rondo of Blood on the psp. I know there was a download link floating around for the PC version as well.

>>351841

The metroidvania's are pretty easy (at least SotN and the GBA ones). If you can, start with SotN, and then I quite enjoy Circle of the Moon, followed by Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance all on the GBA. I enjoy them all. If you have a PSP you can play them all there without a problem.

>> No.351892

>>351883
a minor detail which bothered me in harmony of dissonance is that you play a belmont who lokks like alucard. game is okay though but still...

>> No.351897

>>351841
CotM and AoS are fantastic games. but I think SotN is best to start with.

>> No.351935

>>351892
Oh yeah, looked it up, that's the one I owned. I might actually have it somewhere, but I always threw out the box and just kept the tiny fucking cartridge.

>> No.352094

>>351935
I'd recommend trying out Circle of the Moon if you want a Belmont style game (whip action!), and Aria of Sorrow if you want something closer to SotN (loadsa weapons!). I really can't remember Harmony of Dissonance very well.