[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 8 KB, 162x144, download (9).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3815370 No.3815370 [Reply] [Original]

Ayyo those star wars games are pretty fun. Just one thing can you take out those awful on foot sections?
Say no more senpai

>> No.3815374
File: 118 KB, 300x375, Swtiefightercd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I grew up on the X-Wing & TIE-Fighter games, and compared to those I found Rogue Squadron to be quite disappointing.

>> No.3815403

>>3815374
i like both

>> No.3815408

>>3815374
Different styles of games. Only autists get upset about the popularity of one over the other. The X-Wing series focused on realism, it was more like a simulator, while Rogue Squadron is more arcade-styled (for instance, unless you hit an obstacle head-on, you'll glance off and take shield damage instead of blowing up).

>> No.3815414

>>3815370
Shadows of the Empire is still pretty decent but I agree that the on-foot sections are clunky. The best Star Wars games were on PC before Rogue Squadron.
>mfw Rebel Strike was just Rogue Leader with a bunch of shitty on-foot missions

>> No.3815436

>>3815408
I get what you're saying, but I never could get out of the mindset of the PC games, and thus Roque Squadron just seemed like a downgrade to me. There were no space missions. I couldn't dump power to & from lasers, shields, and engines as the situation demanded. I didn't have a targeting system which was worth a damn. The crafts simply didn't have the Omni-direction flexibility like they do in the PC games. The list goes on, man. I mean I totally understand if you like it, but I got spoiled by a cojple fantastic PC flight same and RS is just a letdown in my eyes.

>> No.3815440

>>3815436
>The crafts simply didn't have the Omni-direction flexibility like they do in the PC games

>he didn't turn off auto roll and auto level

>> No.3815447

>>3815440
Also for some reason the game doesnt enable certain force feedback settings by default, you have to do it with codes.

>> No.3815489

>>3815408
This, I love both series. Even Rogue Squadron III and its wretched on-foot missions. TIE Fighter is the shit.

>> No.3816574

>>3815408
Come on.

The X-wing series allowed you to play on the Imperial side.

The X-wing series had multiplayer.

It had missiles and an elaborate, fine struggle over dodging them.

It had advanced photon torpedoes which were on paper anti ship warheads but could be used effectively against small craft.

It had puny as well as massively powerful craft to fly. It had a shockingly strong A-wing which you could play kamikaze style with redirecting power towards engines.

It had beam weapons and countermeasures.

It had honest ship versus ship warfare that you'd be getting in the middle of.

It had piracy ... but admittedly far too little of it.

There's a reason why it made such a huge mark, it had a really neat formula that was unfortunately abandoned hard, and hence now it's even more special. It is autistic that it has so much "background lore" connecting to it, but that makes it a more sophisticated program. It was completely silly that they didn't at least make expansion packs for X-wing alliance.

The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series also impressed, though unfortunately the ones with a source release are not quite retro. And that is kind of generic, though it was very progressive back then.

But they did produce 4 games and 4 expansion packs with that formula, and still allowed them to be well regarded across the board. 32x-star wars, SotE and rogue squadron just didn't have that same staying power, for one thing they weren't dealing with the same expectation of people staying with the series ... if that's actually that whole series.

>> No.3816606
File: 62 KB, 500x500, rs3d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3815370
>playing the inferior N64 version
wew

>> No.3816616

>>3816574
You're still trying to compare a simulator to an arcade style game here.

>> No.3816738

>>3816616
But it's a simulator of something that isn't real. That's an unusual thing, and somehow it had that tendency to work. And it's still quite a bit gentler than a real simulator.

And I was not comparing apples to oranges, I mentioned that X-wing was a series of games, and the question of what parallel series Rogue Squad would be part of.

>> No.3817047

>>3816738
Space simulators is a genre that exists. Just because fictional xwing isn't real doesn't mean you can't simulate everything else the way it should react.

>> No.3817065

>>3817047
"Everything" is seriously pushing it. Lasers that move like bullets? 6 different warheads that happen to have the exact same range? And IIRC spontaneously asplode after 6 km?

Don't get me wrong, it's a game that's internally consistent, and that makes it easy to get into deeply.

But star wars isn't even quite sci fi.

Did anyone else seriously tackle this kind of stuff except Raven Software?

>> No.3817078

>>3817065
Some flight models for these games use a physics system based on Newtonian physics.

>> No.3817112

>>3816606
I got this in the recent humble bundle, what exactly are the differences?

>> No.3817115

>>3817112
I hope they included nglide in the release like GOG does.

>> No.3818648
File: 174 KB, 1920x1080, Star-Wars-Jedi-Knight-Dark-Forces-II-screenshot-star-wars-33467208-1920-1080.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3815370
What you talking smack about thems foot sections for?

Nonstop foot sections made for awesome star wars gaming!

>> No.3818678

>>3815374

Man these games.

My cousin showed me PC gaming when I was 8, and my uncle had this kind of small storage/big closet room as a study: medical books, some notes from University, and the family PC. Because of my uncle's profesion, there was money all right, and my cousin had invested in some joysticks and good speakers.

Instead of setting the game for me, my cousin taught me how to boot TIE-Fighter, among other games, from the comand prompt.

That fucking feel when I am in a close dark room, booting a computer system without knowing much of it other than how to blow rebel scum and how to prioritize energy to blow more rebel scum has been one of the greatest vidya feels I've ever felt.

>> No.3818893

>>3818678
Do you feel your experience was enriched by the fact that you start off that game in craft that don't have any shields?

>> No.3820034

>>3818893

Yeah.

The games, even with plenty of variables (or rather, for what I thought were many at the time), the acomplishment/failure ratio of missions rely on you. And, the progression of dificulty was better than other games.

>> No.3820054

>>3818648
The fuckhuge levels of Jedi Knight were amazing.

>> No.3820152

>>3815370
I loved this game

>> No.3821139

TIE Fighter is basically the best game ever made.

Most games, especially modern games, can't get mission design right. TIE Fighter somehow manages to take the most simple battlescape that is possible (empty space) and consistently deliver great missions, over and over and over and over again.

In most games, you're lucky to get one great level. TIE Fighter gives you about forty of them.

And the core gameplay is great, of course.

TIE Fighter should be a mandatory complete playthrough for anyone who wants to have a grounded opinion of video games.