[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 140 KB, 800x800, Sonicadventuredcog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4840596 No.4840596 [Reply] [Original]

Even if Sonic Adventure was janky mess, would you say you had fun with it? How old were you when you played it? I was 10 and fuck, even if now I recognize it for all of its flaws, I would be lying if I said I didn't fucking love it at the time. The music still gets me fucking pumped

I CAN'T HOLD ON MUCH LONGER

>> No.4840618

I was probably 12 or 13 and I beat it and enjoyed it on DC. That said, I thought SA2 sucked and could never get into it.

>> No.4840663

>>4840596
Was probably around 9 or 10 as well, and had a fucking blast. The game is totally a product of its time, but overall the effort is incredibly fun, even with the jank. Recently replaced my Dreamcast battery literally just to play this again without resorting the clock every time.

It's like listening to an old CD that's fun af

>> No.4840675

I too was ten and loved it. Seemed like a huge leap forward in presentation for games at the time, despite how janky the cutscenes look now throw a little childhood imagination into the mix and I thought they were cinematic as fuck. The Dreamcast features like Chao Adventure on the VMU and the downloadable missions were also way ahead of their time.

I still think it's a good game, the main Sonic gameplay especially is a lot of fun. It's a shame the later ports fuck up nearly every aspect of the game, so many people get the wrong impression of it.

>> No.4840683

I played it as a kid, but I replay every now and then because it's short. Enjoy it every time, but I'm not gonna pretend it's a perfect game. But it's completely stuffed to the gills with charm, and can easily survive on that alone IMO.

>> No.4840698

I probably played it first when I was 19, and it was the gamecube port.

I still had fun, and I come back to replay it a lot. Sonic, Tails, and Gamma, are always fun to play, even after I inevitably encounter some horrific bug that puts me underneath the floor with no warning.

Knuckles is fine. He's not too offensive. Amy can be fun, but her acceleration problems is a horrible mar on her gameplay. Big, I like him, but he doesn't belong in Sonic. Especially as a mandatory thing.

>> No.4840726

I was 5 and would it play in the Dreamcast installation that our local Toys R Us (RIP) had when it launched and instantly fell in love with it, but fuck, I'm not ashamed to say that Sonic Adevnture is my favorite game of all-time, even though I can recognize that the game certainly has its flaws.

>> No.4840781

I was 11or 12. I played a demo of the DX version originally, and at the time the Dreamcast console and a copy of Sonic Adventure was cheaper than buying the new release, so I just bought that.

I still think Emerald Coast is one of the best done examples of a 2-D to 3-D transition in a franchise. Its just so much fun and the feel of speed you get is near perfect.. I think it was a good thing Sonic skipped the Saturn because all we've heard about the 3D attempts at Sonic on there seemed like trainwrecks. Sonic World is a cute novelty but has no real feel of speed.

>> No.4840871

>>4840596

I played it a few years ago at age 36. I prefered 2 though I didn't give 1 a fair shake. The only annoying part of 2 was the treasure hunter levels. I did love the haunted hill one with knuckles but the treasure hunting mechanic was a bad decision.

>> No.4840978

>>4840871
the knuckle stages are pretty chill i like playing it on subsequent playthroughs except for the coloured mines. the only thing i dont like in that game are tails levels. totally bogged down trite even if i like tails soundtrack. they should've just left him for boss battles or something, i wouldnt mind that.

>> No.4841325

My brother rented the dreamcast over the weekend and my mind was blown. I was still stuck at the Genisis at this time and completely skipped the 32bit era (my older brother had a PS1). After I saw Sonic Adventure I saved money and at the next opportunity went ahead and bought a Dreamcast. Even back then I thought it was sometimes a little janky to controls in the 3D environments, particularly and high speed (gotta go fast!) but I absolutely loved it. I explored the world for hours and I loved the gameplay changes with all the different characters. I even played around the the Chaos.

I didn't like SA2 after playing the demo and never bought or finished.

SA was an excellent Sonic game to my mind.

>> No.4841361

I was 9 and a lover of the Genesis Sonics, but I could definitely tell SA was a few pegs below. I did play the game a lot, but that doesn’t mean I loved it, almost every game I had back then I played to death. It’s not so much the jank I’d be sentimental about, it’d probably be some of the music and (mainly Sanic’s) stages.

>> No.4841508
File: 19 KB, 640x480, lLJUrV9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

8-9ish. One of the most fun games I ever played in my childhood, that and Sega Bass Fishing which I enjoyed playing when my infantile brain got it's ass kicked by Sonic Adventure.

>> No.4841565

>>4840596
I was 16/17 and it was fun but it’s a game that I’ll never play all the way through again. I’d probably replay the Sonic levels and that’s it.

>> No.4841615

I was 15, the game was really pretty, but I already liked 3&k more.

>> No.4841619

I was around 13 I guess. I liked it for weird reasons but mostly because I was a die hard Sonic fan. Rebought and replayed it the last year on Steam and good god it sucked. At least SA2 can be nice to look at, even though the camera is disgusting in both.

>> No.4841659

15, and it looked/felt like a new breed of gaming. I didn't own a DC until retailers started getting rid of them, though. So the bulk of my experience with the game was at 18, and I still enjoyed it. The controls/constant flow breaks can be annoying, but that's my only complaint.

>> No.4842946

>>4840596
>ould you say you had fun with it?
Yeah. It's still a good game, and the only truly consistantly good (except Big's levels and optional Chao autism) 3D Sonic.

> How old were you when you played it?
I dunno. Twenty something. 23~25, perhaps. I don't remember what year I first played it but I'm fairly sure it was 2007 or later. I have no nostalgia for it.

>> No.4843461

>>4840596
Only autists unironically like Adventure 1 or 2. They're glitchy, borderline unplayable garbage.

>> No.4843486

>>4840596
I was 13 when I played SA1 and even back then when it came out I was stunned at how awful the game looked and played. Boss fights were just circle-strafe arenas, and it was just a piss-easy game. I completed all the characters' storylines in less than a week.

Going back to it now I would probably lose interest in it.

>> No.4843708

>>4840596
I was 10. It blew my mind back then, I thought it was the best looking game I'd ever seen. I remember having plenty of fun with it. Played it again for the first time since then like 3 years ago. and saw what a mess it is, but I still enjoyed it and had some fond memories.

>> No.4844741

Got that shit on 9-9-99 and it was all I had wanted from a Sonic game.
It felt like an honest to god next-gen evolution

Got SA2 and hated it. Still have fun with the first one but how people can defend 2 is a mystery to me.

>> No.4844796

SA2 was my first Sonic game ever and as a young lad I enjoyed it very very much. I found the Chao Garden really enjoyable and I liked Sonic and Shadow levels. I wished I had more friends into that game so I could play multi-player with them, but it didn't happen much.

A few years later I tried SA1 and it was honestly pretty good. Since SA2 was my first experience and I really liked Sonic vs Shadow, I couldn't say SA1 was better than SA2. But looking back, SA1 is the better game.

Btw, which villain did you like best: SA1 Chaos, or SA2 Shadow?

https://www.strawpoll.me/15916447

>> No.4846241
File: 278 KB, 500x700, E-102 Gamma.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4840596
I was either 9 or 10. Loved the fuck out of it and still do. I know it's a hot mess in some departments but I had, and have since I usually replay it every year, so much fun. SA2 is alright.
And threadly reminder that Gamma's Arc is one of the best character arcs in gaming.

>> No.4846282

I was around 19 or 20 when I played it (probably around 1999) more or less.
I liked very much, specially the Sonic stages. I could see some of the flaws and bugs, but the game just oozed fun and freshness unlike any 3D Sonic I have ever played. Sonic Team was having a blast making the game and you could sense it.

>> No.4848946

>>4846241

He died for our sins.

you were to pure for this cruel world Gamma.

>> No.4851463

>>4840596
I still love this game and play it and its sequel every now and then. I prefer the Genesis games, but these are still very good if a bit rough around the edges.

>> No.4851635

>>4840596
my earliest memory of SA1 was at 8, back in '99 or so
I remember playing the demo at a Toys 'R Us or something and really fucking wanting a Dreamcast because of it. Holy shit, those graphics.
I also remember being baffled at the fact that I'd just fallen out of a loop and died, and then being wowed because I guess I had to account for the extra 3D factor.

played a bunch more two years later at my sister's shitty boyfriend's place, had a good time
still fell out of the loop in Emerald Coast, and was convinced it was just a game bug, because that shit didn't happen anywhere else

and then I got SADX like 2 or 3 more years later and mostly enjoyed the game

>> No.4852307

First played it when it was around 9-10. I remember liking it at the time but thinking Adventure 2 was better. Now as an adult, I think it's a pretty terrible game, but it has to have one of the best soundtracks in Sonic history. Sonic Team really should have just made a Sonic-centric game rather than trying and failing to innovate.

>> No.4854290

>16
>I Kept hearing about sonic aventure online
>seemed like a total mystery to me as SA2 was the only adventure game i played at the time.
>got a wii and hacked it to play SADX.
>only beat Sonic, Tails and Knuckle's story.
>year after i kept hearing about betterSADX so i bought SADX on steam and installed the dreamcast restoration mods
>Beat the game twice
Honestly i really love it, i feel like big should have been optional and amy needed some fixes, but other than that it was pretty solid.

>> No.4854324
File: 59 KB, 307x251, sad lizard (2017_05_24 19_48_20 UTC).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4840698
>>4842946
>>4854290
>Hating on Big.
It's like you guys hate fun or something.

>> No.4854352

>>4854290
>sonic aventure online

Had me excited that a coop romhack like for SM64 exists for a second.

>> No.4854475

Played the Ganecube port last year or so when I was 25. Enjoyed it for what it was, an early 3D sonic game. It has flaws that people overemphasis cause lol Sonic. So glad I've been going through them all, all 3D sonics have been pretty good. Unleashed is probably my favourite right now.

>>4840871
I reckon the only flaw with knuckes' levels in 2 is that you have to get the pieces in a specific order for some reason

>> No.4854482

>>4846241
Gamma was a prototype (character design wise I mean) for Shadow. The only difference is Shadow came back

>> No.4854836

>>4840596
>tfw I listen to Windy and Ripply and cry everytime

Why must it be so lads?

https://youtu.be/oTJtkEVL-7I

>> No.4856146

>>4854482
They share nothing in common.

>> No.4856475

>>4840596
i got this and a dreamcast when it first came out. i couldnt even get the game to start unless i fucked with the system for like an hour. then i realized you needed a memory card and those were expensive. long story short i returned them both and got a n64. hated the dreamcast ever since, ruined sega forever for me. i was 15

>> No.4856746

>>4854482
They're radically different in every aspect. Shadow's arc is your typical good guy gets the short stick and ends up like a revenge story with his death as the redemption. Gamma's arc is all about reuniting with your friends/family even if needs to go against them (or kill them) and finally the self sacrifice of Gamma (robot) for Gamma (Bird) to also reunite with them, without any aspect of redemption. The only common aspect is their death, which have radically different meaning from each other.

>> No.4857075

>>4856475
you dont need a memory card to start the game.
Sounds like you're just retarded.
> returned them both and got a n64
Yup.

>> No.4857157

>>4857075
where did i say i needed a memory card to start the game? i got the game to work but it wouldnt just turn on and start up, i had to take out and insert the disc over and over and i did all sorts of shit just to get the game to run. and aside from all that, the dreamcast was a shit system regardless and im very glad i traded it all in for an n64. lol get fucked sega fanfaggot

>> No.4857435

Either your roleplaying actually buying a dreamcast at launch, you were a retard, or you genuinely got a defective game or system, more likely the former (there was a bad batch of Sonic Adventures and a couple of other games around launch, and it seems you were one of the unlucky victims). In that case, you should have exchanged the game for another copy from the retailer you bought it from, and if you couldn't get an exchange from the retailer, contact Sega to get a replacement copy under their Limited Warranty. Instead, you assumed that it wasn't working because you didn't have a memory card (and I haven't heard of a game that wouldn't run without a memory card for any system that used them, especially on Dreamcast) and returned the game and the system instead.

>> No.4857449

>>4856475
>>4857435
also, I meant that it was more likely you had a defective game as opposed to a defective system. And I forgot how to reply to posts because I lurk too much for my own good.

>> No.4858730

>>4857157
Everything about you begs to be aborted.
You probably kept putting the disc in upside down you fucking troglodyte.

>> No.4858756

Even as a kid playing it for the first time I hated the mech and treasure hunting levels. Loved the Sonic and Shadow stages, and I remember wishing the game could be just those.

>> No.4860506

I was the biggest sonic fan since I was a kid so being 12 years old and getting into butt rock and having sonic adventure come out was amazing.

I set up a video camera to record the TV while I played. I would pause the recording between loading times and called it Sonic Adventure the Movie. I even put a sticker on the tape and everything.

>> No.4860578

I was like 10 and considering the Sonic stages are still the best example yet of Sonic in 3D then yeah it's still good, I don't mind SA2 but after playing it like two times I just don't have fun with it since it forces you to play the other characters in the story mode, that weird design choice bothered me even as a kid.

>> No.4862151

>>4854324
The fishing isn't for everyone.

>> No.4862224

I have played every major Sonic Game up to Generations and Adventure is my favorite, precisely because of how weird and janky it is. I love how free you are to move around and break the levels, I love the blocky aesthetics and awkward animations, I love the surreal environments that don't make any sense in the context they appear in, and the soundtrack is the best in the series and one of the best in any game I've played. Even the logo kicks ass.

Sonic Adventure owns.

>> No.4862892

I was late teens and remember thinking it was cool but also a hold-forward-to-win game for high people.

>> No.4863075

When I was in grade school I got into the Sonic comics and I'd post on online Sonic forums and stuff. I started saving up for a genesis so I could play the games but I kept hearing hype about the DC and SA so I canceled my layaway and started saving for that. Anyway, my parents got a N64 and Pokemon ate up all my cash so that all went out the window.

One day, around my 13th birthday I was in EB Games and I saw a SA demo display and quickly realized it played like crap. A couple of years passed and my Pokemon/Zelda fever cooled, my wallet began to refill faster than ever, and I got really hyped for SA2 ("woah, you can play as Robotnik, Evil Sonic, and a bat with huge tits? What a time to be alive") so I bought a DC on clearance and replayed the SA games over and over and over.

Even bad games can be a lot of fun and I never regretted buying a DC just for the Sonic games, even if they all came out on the GC later anyway.

>> No.4865123

>>4843461
you take that back you heathen

they're totally playable, the glitchiness is half of the fun

the cutscenes and stuff are good ironically but the game is campy and it's a beautiful experience, especially for 1999

>> No.4865139

>>4865123

I wouldn't bother engaging with that very obviously bait post. Guy doesn't know shit, SA2 has a million problems right down to the conceptual level but it's not even remotely glitchy.

>> No.4865145
File: 835 KB, 500x540, 1960581.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4862224
Well said.

>> No.4865204

>>4840596
I 100%'ed that game and enjoyed it... even Big's levels. Got super sonic and beat chaos as well.

However I can't go back an play that game despite owning it on Steam (Dreamcast collction purchase) just because of how it did not age well at all.

>> No.4865229

>>4840596
>even if this is trash would you say it smells of potpourri?

>> No.4865384

>>4840596
I still love it to this day, in the same way I love a lot of B-movies. Its a bad game, but you can still tell a lot of love went into it and there are tons of little touches that make it enjoyable in spite of questionable game design.
It is also conceptually a better take on 3D Sonic than the boost games

>> No.4865530

>>4862224
>Even the logo kicks ass
Still mad they changed it into some bland shit for the SADX releases.

>> No.4865586
File: 71 KB, 1280x800, s&k_logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4862224
Speaking of logos, why was S&K's so good?

>> No.4865653

>>4865586
Because it's a Batman-esque style logo.

>> No.4865658

>>4865586
Simple and stylish.

>> No.4866738

>>4865586
10/10 cover

>> No.4868983

>>4865586
>we'll never get iconic as fuck logos like this again
Feels bad man.

>> No.4868995

>>4865586
I get so hard looking at this.

Knuckles slightly penetrating Sonic while Sonic looks over as if to say "DO U KNO DE WAY"

lmfao I AM SUCH A FUCKING JOKESTER.

>> No.4869096

Yeah, I had my fun. I was around 13 by that time, I definitely liked the whole aspect of having different characters with their own chapters and the hubs and upgrades. Really liked that shit.

Hell I think that the game, as janky as it is, isn't that terrible.

>> No.4869130

>>4862151
I don't get why people hate Big so much at all, it should be obvious when you see him in the character select screen and it's a fat fuck carrying a fishing pole, and then his story starts and he's in maximum chill mode sitting down in the cutscene that we have just turned onto the scenic route. I like SA 1 more because they were willing to try shit like a fishing based character, not because I specifically love fishing but that willingness to experiment is throughout the whole game. I really liked how varied and weird 1 could get with the secrets in the overworld and shit, or different level designs that only show up once.

1 is like a big buffet table with all different foods, any of which would probably not be the greatest thing you ever ate if you just had it by itself on the plate but taken all together it creates a nice dining experience. Especially right when it came out and was like your introduction to this new, clearly immensely powerful noisy beige console. Then in 2 they tried to go more focused on what they thought people wanted and ended up making a less interesting game imo. There are even more levels that are really just a tube or flat shooting gallery in 2 and without any changes of pace like Big's campaign or exploring the overworld it ends up being a less fun playthrough imo.

For historical information, I played SA 1 about a year after release when I would have been 11 or 12 and was utterly blown away, I completed it a couple times in-era and have intentionally not gone back to replay it since I want to preserve my memories of the graphics being impressive

>> No.4869148

>>4840596
I still enjoy the Sonic, Tails and Knuckles levels. Gamma ones are just okay but they feel like an afterthought. The freedom of movement you have with Sonic is really fun and you can do some crazy shit with his spindash.

>> No.4869231

I had fun with it for a while, but the last time I played it ruined it when I realized it took longer to wait for the cutscenes to end then it did to get through the levels.

>> No.4869285

>>4869130
>but that willingness to experiment is throughout the whole game

Now I don't have any proof and I can't back it up at all, but I'm like 90% sure that Sonic Adventure was just a big tech demo for the dreamcast. I feel like they had a bunch of throw away test concepts (the fishing, the rail shooting, the kart mini game, the pinball, the adventuring hide and seek stuff and of course the sparse sonic stages) and decided the package it all together and paint it as a Sonic game.

That's what it's always felt like to me anyway

>> No.4869521

>>4869231
>I had fun with it for a while, but the last time I played it ruined it when I realized it took longer to wait for the cutscenes to end then it did to get through the levels.
And this is why SADX/The PC port with mods is the definitive version

>> No.4871623

>>4840596

It was a love/hate affair. I loved the jump & run levels to pieces. And i hated the retarded adventure crap.

>> No.4871713

>>4869231
>>4869521
When are SEGA going to release Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Shuffle for Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PS4?

>> No.4871821

I played it when it was released(I was 9 or 10), in 2007 on the Gamecube, and I just bought it on the Steam sale and installed the Dreamcast coversion mod. It's fun. Really easy and short. Haven't played Big or Amy's stories yet, though, I hated Big as a kid because it took me forever to git gud with him. Camera is a mess, but most 3d games like that were before dual stick contols were standardized. Still workable but it gets funky if you move too fast into a small area like a tunnel or hallway. Actually, the only deaths I had were as Sonic due to the camera freaking out and me running off a platform. Overall it's a fun game, but it's not challenging and the story isn't anything special.

>> No.4872564

>>4840596
>Even if Sonic Adventure was janky mess, would you say you had fun with it?
yeah i had fun with it.

>How old were you when you played it?
i wanna say 9 since it was one of the first games i got for it when it launched.

i recently replayed it last year and as much as e-celebs don't want to admit it the game holds up pretty well or at least compared to SA2.

amy & big are easily the worst parts.

>> No.4872570

>>4871713
I'm pretty sure most of the modern/3D sonic games are backwards compatible on the xbone now