[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 131 KB, 1280x720, gaminginthe90s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4853196 No.4853196 [Reply] [Original]

i was born on 1999 so i never got to experience it.

>> No.4853203

Anyone born after Dec 31 1999 cannot post on this board

>> No.4853209

Well the biggest thing I can think of is we didn't have politics and SJW crap shoved in our games.

>> No.4853210

>>4853196
We went to Blockbuster and rented one or two games. I'd sleep over at my buddies house, he had a Sega Genesis, I had an SNES. I'd bring it alng and then we played all kinds of games. We never thought about wether we had the right TV or cables or whatever. must've been sometime between 1992 - 1996. Good times, wish I could go back....

>> No.4853212

the 5th gen was an awkward and experimental time for games, to say the least

>> No.4853267

>>4853196
One TV per house, staying up late on Friday nights with your buddies to play games downstairs - flickering blue in dark front rooms. Renting a VHS of some shit from the video store, collecting Sonic Happy meal toys. Everyone had their own set of games, not like today where everyone gets the same 10 games each year. You could go over to a friends house and play stuff you'd never even heard of before, and probably never again.

>> No.4853285

>>4853196
during NES era I remember:
> All my cousins sitting around the TV at Christmas watching our older cousin get far in games like Gun.Smoke and Karnov.
> Spending a lot of time with friends over at our house playing Mega Man, original TMNT and sports games like Tecmo Super Bowl.
> Playing Contra, Ikari Warriors, and Super Mario Brothers 3 at another friend's house (and beating SMB3 in 2player mode while there)
> Arcade Ports that were almost always way better in the arcade.
> Legend of Zelda was my favorite game.
> Sega was the console that some friends had that I never played.

SNES era:
> Renting Final Fantasy IV (II as it was known then) and playing it for the whole weekend.
> Thinking about Street Fighter moves in class instead of paying attention to the lecture.
> Fapping to Chun-Li
> Sonic being way cooler than Mario, even though I only wanted a SNES.
> Getting so stuck in Eye of the Beholder that I left the game for a year, until I found the solution to the puzzle while browsing the internet using the lynx browser on the card catalog machine at the local library. (it might have been gamefaqs even)
> PC Games and Console Games were very different during this era and cross-platform was uncommon. Warcraft, C&C: Red Alert, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Master of Magic were all PC games I played. Sometimes, getting PC games running at all required fucking around with files like CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.

N64/PSX Era:
> Renting an N64 and being wowed by how fun and smooth Mario 64 played
> Being excited about the next Zelda game
> But it didn't come out before I'd stopped caring
> I bought a PS1 and mostly played FF Tactics, FF7, Bushido Blade, and Xenogears during winter and summerbbreaks
> Baldur's Gate on PC
> SNES Emulation actually becoming playable, and played FFV.

Then I played Everquest for 2 years, then I quit videogames for 15 years.

>> No.4853296

>>4853209
Jesus would you cunts just shut up about this shit? I see 10x more of you retards foaming at the mouth about MUH SJW POLITICS than I’ve seen games which push some kind of agenda.

>> No.4853303

>>4853196
Not gonna lie OP
it was fucking G R E A T
oh, if I had a time machine

>> No.4853315

>>4853303
i can't deny that the games were great back then but dear god I would never want to go back to grunge and aol

>> No.4853323

>>4853315
Ye, pop made by millionaire children and memes are better ye fuck u

>> No.4853328

You couldn't just pirate things, so dropping a game you paid good money for just because you weren't immediately good at it was not as common.

>> No.4853332

>>4853285
Why did you return?

>> No.4853346

>>4853332
settled into career & family. Also Dark Souls.

>> No.4853378
File: 371 KB, 960x1307, k2Mhu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Had to go to your friend's house to play games together.
Looked at whatever was released in Japan to see what was coming in the next year ... then being disappointed/mad with what they did to Westernize it.
Paying 2x for an import to play a game *now*
rec.games.video.*
Getting regularly annoyed with EGM since they'd regularly lift stuff from the internet ... but still read it since the only other way to see what was coming was to import Japanese magazines.
Nintendo ports of arcade games playing nothing like the arcade game.
Next Generation shitting on anything that wasn't 3D.
System updates? wut?

>> No.4853383

>>4853196
Who's the blue guy?

>> No.4853412

>>4853196
Lots of magazines.
Video Games
Tps & Tricks
GamePro
Electronic Gaming Monthly
PSX Magazine
Nintendo Power
Expert Gamer
Game Players
Game NOW

and a bunch of others I cant remember off the top of my head.

>> No.4853446 [DELETED] 

>>4853346
Dark Souls is such a poor reason to get into gaming. Maybe Demons would be a reasonable excuse.

>> No.4853449
File: 505 KB, 2600x3000, 1467166075265.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853196
it was exciting because hardware and software hadn't converged yet to console-ized desktops running FPS with microtransactions.

>> No.4853451

>>4853196
It was a great time to be a gamer. I'll tell you my experiences.

>NES
This was the first console I had owned from 1990 to 1991. I played many NES games such as Ninja Turtles, Batman, Super Mario Brothers, Double Dragon and Robocop. Sadly a lot NES games were too difficult. However the first NES game I have beaten successfully was Double Dragon 2. My dad sold my NES so he could get me a...

>Sega Genesis
So my dad sold my NES. I had a choice between buying a Sega Genesis or a SNES. I was more interested in the Sega Genesis because the model 1 Sega Genesis looked way more cooler than a SNES(although I did end up buying a SNES on my own as I grew older). I had a ton of great memories with the Sega Genesis. The first game I beat for the system was Sonic The Hedgehog. I became obsessed with Sonic to the point of buying his comics and watching his cartoons. I loved playing Streets Of Rage, all of the Sonic games, Golden Axe, Splatterhouse 2 and 3, Robocop Vs Terminator, Vectorman 1 & 2 and other great Sega Genesis titles I can't think of at the moment. Truly a great system.

>SNES
I played many games for SNES such as Super Mario World, TMNT4, Street Fighter 2, The Death and Return Of Superman, Spider-man & Venom Maximum Rage & Batman Returns. Great games on this system. It is my second favorite console, the first being the Sega Genesis.

>Sega Saturn/PSX/N64
I had all three game consoles. So I got to experience way more than any other teen at that time. With the Sega Saturn I enjoyed Mr. Bones, Virtua Cop, Fighting Vipers, Virtual On, Virtua Fighter 2, Nights Into Dreams, Daytona USA, House Of The Dead, A Clockwork Knight and many others. These games are true gems for the Sega Saturn. As for PSX, I enjoyed many games including Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Batman Forever The Arcade Game, Tekken and Ridge Racer. With the N64 I enjoyed games like Super Mario 64, WWF No Mercy, WCW/nWo Revenge and Goldeneye.

*continued in next post

>> No.4853452

>>4853449
oh yeah, lack or internet and early internet made reliance on physical social interaction more important when it came to games. you had to be physically at your friends or the arcade to play 2 player. the social aspect was better because of this, with secrets and tips being spread by word of mouth or >>4853412.

>> No.4853457

>>4853196

Games were good. That's about all you need to know, though if you were born in the 00's, you have no idea of what a good game is like.

>> No.4853460

>>4853296

Faggot.

>> No.4853464

>>4853451
*continued
>Sega Saturn/PSX/N64
When I played Goldeneye, the graphics blew my mind. So much detail, it was crazy.

>Dreamcast
I love this console so much, I had so much fun with it. I played games like Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Shenmue 1 & 2, Crazy Taxi, Seaman, Ready 2 Rumble, Soul Calibur, House Of The Dead 2, Virtua Fighter 3, Virtual On, and many other great games for this system. The graphics were truly mind blowing.

Other systems...
>PC Engine, Sega Master System
These two systems were the only other systems I had my hands on as a kid. With the PC Engine, I enjoyed Splatterhouse. With the Sega Master System, I enjoyed playing Rambo 2. Sadly I didn't get to experience more on these consoles until later during my adult years.

>> No.4853479 [DELETED] 
File: 174 KB, 574x306, womp womp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853296
Don't make me slap that feminine penis out of your mouth, faggot

>> No.4853496
File: 32 KB, 599x394, 2A0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If the 80s was the golden age of arcade games, then the 90s was the golden age of home games. Plain and simple.

>> No.4853539

The biggest single difference in 20th century gaming versus 21st century gaming is that generally speaking most gamers didn't have more games than they could play.

The significant cheapening of distribution that optical discs, especially once Sony got into the game and then online distribution even more so combined with the sharply growing market of more so-called "casual" gamers can be seen as the underlying cause of most of the "modern" trends in gaming.

>> No.4853540

>>4853209
Yeah instead we had religious christian faggots censoring them

>> No.4853546

No one had stuff like GameFAQs back then. Well, it exists since 1994, but it only got popular in 1999~2000.

We didn't know about 99% of the releases back then, because there was no place to look them up, except for them, yes, THEM. The MAGAZINES.

Games were really costly back then (just look up some NES/SNES stuff being sold by 70 dollars - unthinkable today), so we could rent a game each weekend, at most. Because we didn't have many choices, we played every game to completion, or just quit it in frustration.

If you got stuck somewhere in the game, then good fucking luck. If it was a relatively unknown game, not magazine back then would print a guide for it. I remember getting stuck on Lord of the Sword (a Master System game), because the in-game instructions were really fucking cryptic.

Anyway, most of the "meta" info we got was from magazines.

>> No.4853560

>>4853196
For me, it meant more than finding some game today because pirating was more difficult, the internet and apps weren't developed into free widely played games, and while it's always been about profit, just didn't seem that way in the past.
Now every soda bottle, sugar snack, energy drink, etc has Call of Duty, NBA2K'x', Madden, etc plastered on it, Nintendo is quickly losing ground, and companies like Steam are consolidating much of PC gaming.

Also I'm often too busy to sit down and enjoy vidya.

>> No.4853564

>>4853196
It was fucking great but I never really appreciated great games like SOTN, VSav, or Half-Life until many years later because the house budget only allowed so many games and I was lucky to have the consoles and computer I did.

>> No.4853568

>>4853196
Oh also arcades were active stand-alone businesses, not just part of Dave and Busters, Put-Put, Laster-Tag, Go-Karts, etc. That was interesting.

>> No.4853575

>>4853496
But 90s arcade game were fucking LIT

>> No.4853578

>>4853196
not shit tbqhafwys

>> No.4853582

>>4853546
>No one had stuff like GameFAQs back then.
I swear we need some kind of FAQ on this board to tell people that their particular experiences in the 90s were not definitive. I was a college student in 1994-2000. I used GameFAQs on a very regular basis as well as downloading guides from usenet and personal websites. Am I "no one"?

>> No.4853584

>>4853496
>>4853575
Yeah, what the fuck? Arcades were absolutely massive in the 90s thanks to the fighting game craze and the fact that consoles weren’t powerful enough yet to have perfect arcade ports.

>> No.4853585
File: 67 KB, 1024x962, 1526117554392.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853568
I miss them so much desu.

>> No.4853589 [DELETED] 

>>4853479
Hey now, don't drag me into this.

>> No.4853598
File: 147 KB, 900x600, 26167011_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853196
Go learn about it. Born in 1999 myself, love watching videos and reading articles on video games of the time.

>> No.4853605 [DELETED] 

>>4853589
Why haven't you gotten SRS yet?

>> No.4853694

>>4853546
>>4853582
Prior to GameFAQs, Andy Eddy (editor of VG&CE magazine) maintained an ftp site which was at the time the place to go for FAQs

>> No.4853702

Friends went to eachothers' houses to play together.
Nobody had cell phones so sometimes you would walk half a mile to their home on the off-chance they were there.
Rental was big. You would go to the rental place together and rent a bunch of games for the weekend.
Games journalists actually talked about games instead of talking about gays and trannies.
Technology moved very fast - the boundaries of what was possible in a videogame seemed to move by leaps and bounds in a matter months. No game could hold the crown of 'best graphics' for even a single year. Usually it wasn't held for even 6 months.
Secrets were actually secret. You couldn't just go online and find every secret in a videogame within a week of its release. Even dedicated cheat/walkthrough magazines often didn't have the answers for months. There was a real sense of discovery and wonder when you found something in a game. Imagine having no idea that Castlevania:SotN had an entire second half. Imagine accidentally pulling off a Mortal Kombat fatality and having no idea how you did it, and rather than just googling it, you spend hours trying recreate your sequence of inputs.

>> No.4853742

One of the coolest parts of buying games back in the 90's was finding hidden treasures and somewhat gambling on closeout games. I remember at Kmart they always had a $10 or less bin of SNES games from 93-96 and I found some amazing games like Batman Returns and NHL 94, and also some total shit like BALLZ. There was no internet to check reviews, though Game Players usually had hundreds of ratings in the back of their magazine that helped.

>> No.4853745

>>4853196

I remember when Battletoads Double Dragon on Genesis came out. I'm too lazy to look up the year but it was a new game.

My childhood friend and I were huge Double Dragon fans. We played that shit almost religiously.

We were probably 13 or 14 years old. He would come over after school and we would play it for what seemed like a month, but it may have been less. We finally beat the game, it was one of the best gaming memories for me. Just hanging out in the basement with friends and playing the same few games. I might have had 6 or so Genesis games at the time.

I never did ditch previous generation consoles, so once in a while I would bust out the NES or Atari. It wasn't just him, but other friends as well.

Other anons are right, different friends and cousins etc would have different games so going to each other's house for gaming was always exciting. There wasn't any need to own the same games, unless it was super popular things like Mario games.

My cousin's always found obscure assed games, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Deadly Towers, Toejam and Earl, Shining Force. Sports games back then were more arcade like and even as someone with no interest in sports, it was still fun as hell to play against each other. We played the hell out of NFL 93, 94 even though we had never seen a real life (or televised) hockey game.

Other friends in the early 90s had Astynax and got a genesis when first out. Playing sonic was crazy after being used to NES visuals.

Same friend who payed BTDD with me also rented a TG16 one or two weekends a month, only remember playing bonk on that.

Had another friend who was about 4 years younger (our mom's were friends) and his dad was into gaming. It was always insane as he had probably 30 NES games, which back then was unheard of.

>> No.4853748

>>4853742
I bought FF4 for $20

>> No.4853762

>>4853452
Agreed with this, and the magic of sharing a game magazine at school because not every kid subscribed to a magazine. You were basically the coolest kid in the class that day.

>> No.4853771

>>4853762
It makes me wish Nintendo Power was still being printed desu

>> No.4853778

>>4853745
reading other posts in here in addition to this one, it is pretty crazy just how many games are available to us now, isn't it? I mean I could, in a pittance of data use, go and download in less than an hour the entire NES library. Every game ever made for the system, that alone could keep me playing for years.

Sometimes I feel like it's destructive to our hobby, that too much choice makes it impossible for us to focus on and enjoy a single game. We just jump from game to game, like as soon as the first setback occurs we just quit playing. Jumping to non-retro territory now, maybe that's why games like Skyrim are popular, they offer a huge amount of "stuff" to do, and they make you feel important, and they never really challenge you or give you resistance toward continuing to play the game. I guess it answers the question of "if you gave a kid thousands of games and let him play them as much as he wanted, then what game would he end up playing the most of?" to which the answer, it seems, would be "the easiest one to finish".

>> No.4853786

>>4853778
just to clarify, not saying everyone plays like this. I was more reflecting on my own youth, when I first discovered emulators, or to things I've seen with kids I know now who have a ton of games. Seems like they never play any particular game for too long, unless it's something easy and engrossing like Pokemon.

>> No.4853790

>>4853267
One TV in the 90s? I'm sorry you were so poor. We always had at least 2 ever since I was born in 85. 3 or 4 throughout the 90s

>> No.4853825

>>4853778

Honestly I believe it has a lot to do with why games are so shitty today. You had to get gud and could find fun in almost any game, even the bad ones. Now there's just so much out there that it's hard to keep interest in anything.

I'm a hardcore retro gamer, and as I said, never got rid of my consoles. I'm sort of ashamed to say I probably have 2000 hours in minecraft just because it's simple yet lets you piss around a lot, especially multiplayer. I kind of thing this trend started with GTA 3 since it gave you so much to do.

Dev's realiszed to keep players they had to be a jack of all trades and not make a game focused on one thing done well. To me, that's the main difference, retro games were focused on one style of play, you could dive deeply into them and "get gud".

If you're OP or someone younger, I seriously recommend picking about half a dozen retro games and playing only them for 2-6 months. It's pretty much how it was back then and might help one appreciate the good in even bad games.

I'm not saying this is you, but it's common for people to see an e-celeb bash a game and then that game is forever tarnished in your mind. Honestly back then it didn't matter. Some of the "worst" games were some of my most enjoyable when growing up. MUSCLE on NES is actually damn good with 2 players. Deadly Towers is great if you draw maps, though it's has many annoyances like even common enemies taking tons of hits to kill, etc, but it's actually really good if you give it your attention.

Once I got the "heavy hitters" I wanted, I've put a self imposed limit of only purchasing games if I've beat them on flashcarts. It keeps my collection lean and mean with no crap that I care less about.

It's kind of like back in the day, you might not have tons of games, but you know which ones that you like, so you can focus on them.

>> No.4853835

>>4853825
Dude, I was initial thinking >nice wall of text but MUSCLE is fucking awesome, and I pretty much collect my Famicom games in a way similar to what you described. I only get games I actually love (I'm not great at all of them though). Rad taste anon.

>> No.4853898
File: 68 KB, 620x464, DC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The graphical jumps in the 90's were pretty crazy. So many of us were playing Super Mario Brothers 3 in 1990 and playing Soul Calibur by 1999.

>> No.4853909

For me it was more of a family activity (mostly with my sister, and sports games with my step dad). I'd still play video games with friends every once in a while, but things like skateboarding, comic books/card collecting, pogs, bikes, etc. took up more time. These days I see my nephews and friends kids glued to a console or PC/Tablet 24/7. Renting games also added a different experience I guess, since I'd rent 1-2 games almost every friday night. Being able to try games for a weekend was nice.

>> No.4853912

The Nintendo Power AVGN episode spells it out pretty perfectly.

>> No.4853930

Anyone used to subscribe to Gamefan? Great screenshots, layouts and coverage of a vibrant arcade scene put it way above egm in my book. They also covered imports and got my friends and I hunting for Japanese games wherever we could.

>> No.4853935
File: 2.98 MB, 500x500, 1447805554631.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853296
t. Roastie

>> No.4853945

>>4853582
Figuratively no one you autistic cunt

>> No.4853984 [DELETED] 

>>4853935
Keep eating that buttered popcorn, you fat jewish bitch.

>> No.4853987 [DELETED] 

>>4853984
sarky is an armo

>> No.4853995 [DELETED] 

>>4853987
A sandnigger is a sandnigger.

>> No.4854017

>>4853825
I like your post. It actually resonates with something I thought about a long while back, when I realized at one point that I had shelves and shelves of games I'd never even played, just purchased based on people saying they were good online. Probably at least 20 or so I had never even opened. I realized that I was tasteless, that I had no opinions, and that I was just a voicebox for whatever was the popular opinion online.

I do admit that I have some games I still haven't played, but I have dramatically cut down my library, and I am taking much more serious efforts to actually play the shit I buy. I gotta say, it's way more enjoyable this way than it is just sitting on tons of plastic and data.

>> No.4854078

>>4853196
It was the golden age of PC games. The fifth generation wasn't too hot for consoles if 3D wasn't your thing, but you could easily find used games from older consoles at garage sales or even in retail stores.

Everything felt more special in the days when rentals were a big thing. Unless you were rich, you probably didn't have a very big game collection. Because of that, you appreciated the games you were actually able to play.

Information on games was harder to find, even on the Internet.
>>4853296
Eat shit.
>>4853540
Sure, but they were a lot more easily ignored.

>> No.4854119

>>4853790
>my parents had money 30 years ago
Holy shit that's cool dude, tell us more

>> No.4854138

>>4854119
We also had 5 toasters. I bet your poor family only had one.

>> No.4854217

>>4854138
>iwn get to make 10 pieces of toast at once
how will i ever recover

>> No.4854242

>>4853540
Censoring implies that the original game was finished as intended and then modified later.
I prefer this to having SJW policies encorced during development as you can always decensor a game with enough effort.
But unfinished messes which focused too heavily on 'diversity' instead of actual core game design. They're fucked untill the end if time.

>> No.4854243

>>4853196
people actually played games.

>> No.4854283

>>4853203
more like '89 you fucking faggot

>> No.4854285

>>4854283
Smell my ass, gaymaster.

>> No.4854289 [DELETED] 

>>4853446

Quit being contrarian.

>> No.4854291

>>4854285
No, he's right. Fuck 20-year-olds.

>> No.4854298

>>4854291
03/06/1990 reporting in.
My first console I got was the old NES from my aunt. I playd super mario 1 2 and 3 with my grandpa till we dropped.

Gramps was the first of us 2 to finish mario 1.

It was a beautiful time.

>> No.4854302

>>4854298
You're right on the fence.

>> No.4854304

>>4854291
Every generation has its faggots, snack shack.

>> No.4854310

>>4854302
I know. And i thank the lord for not beeing a 91er or later...

>> No.4854315

That's a very broad question because 1990 and 99 were a _lot_ different.

>> No.4854316

You'd play games on your dad's extra TV that he just hasn't gotten rid of yet. It didn't have proper inputs so you'd use that RF adapter to use the rabbit ears, even if you house didn't use rabbit ears. Instead of waiting for Amazon sales or just buying games at launch you'd get plenty of games through garage sales, playing them at a friend's house (in person!), or just renting the game. Or you'd do like I did and wait six months for the rental store to start selling the game for $20 or less, and back in those days carts meant that games were basically always expensive. When I really wanted something I would sell shit to get it, but never video games.

With the exception of my Gameboy Color, all of my systems were gifts or hand-me-downs. I found out all of my info from either my friends or from gaming magazines. I had internet in the 90s, gaming sources online were laughable.

Sharing with my brother was the worst because every game had a two player mode, regardless if it was built for it or not, and mom made me share even if nobody was having fun.

I once found an NES game in a McDonalds parking lot because a gang left it there. Double Dragon 2.

>> No.4854318

>>4853449
>it was exciting because hardware and software hadn't converged yet to console-ized desktops running FPS with microtransactions.
It was getting there though. The homogenization of hardware into a Windows/PC world was already well under way.

>> No.4854319

>>4854318

Consoles being shitty gaming computers isn't the fault of gaming computers.

>> No.4854320

>>4853323
We had that in the 90s. There was Mariah Carey and Spice Girls.

>> No.4854323

>>4854304
nobody born after 1990 is not a faggot in terms of vidya. that's just a fact of life.

>> No.4854327

>>4854323
No, it's not at all. You're drawing an arbitrary line in the sand.

>> No.4854328

>>4854320
Pop/Music in the 90s was still good

>> No.4854329

>>4854328
I'M TOO SEXY FOR MY SHIRT
I'M SO SEXY IT HURTS

I rest my case.

>> No.4854330

>>4854328
>jewish brainwashing from this year is just as good as present

>> No.4854331

>>4854329
Still a lot more tolerable than what you'll hear on pop radio nowadays.

>> No.4854334

>>4854316
I remember when IGN tried to charge for guides. Its a fucking shame they didn't go bankrupt.

>> No.4854336

@4854331
In 25 years he'll be saying 2010s pop music is far more tolerable than whatever is currently playing.

>> No.4854379

>>4853568
I went to Brixton Arcade once but it was just full of black people selling tat

>> No.4854389

>>4853196
pinnacle of gaming, seriously.
80s/90s had so many developments in gaming that nothing can compare.
Around 2005-current day the developments are so small it might as well not matter at all.

>> No.4854392

>guys 90s pop was actually good, not like this modern cra

"No!" Fuck off with this revisionist history. The 90s were even worse for popular music than today.

>> No.4854414

>>4854329
>talking smack about RSF
Wanna know how I know you're in the closet?

>> No.4854436
File: 97 KB, 640x919, fighting masters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Video games were a lot less serious then rather than right now. So you got some pretty radical concepts that had very little baring on reality.

Biggest change is how we learn about video games. Before you'd either see previews or reviews in a magazine, see it at a friends house, or look at the covers at a rental store and decide if you should spend your money/time on it.

I mean look at this cover. It is fucking awesome, but the game is trash, and there wasn't much of a way for me to know until I rented it.

Honestly it is more than just video games in general. Due to the leap in technology with the internet and cellphones along with being pre-9/11 it was just a very different atmosphere.

>> No.4854456

>>4853196
I'm sure it's not terribly different from now for kids, the focus is just different. The general 'experience' was similar. Kids these days get hyped about a new Fortnite expansion or whatever the same way we got excited about a new Tomb Raider game.

One major difference was that gaming was more intimate. Couch multiplayer was comfy af and unfortunately was largely replaced by online gaming which no longer requires people to leave their house and meet their friends. It's not completely gone I guess, and the Switch seems to be trying to bring it back, even offering some games which don't even need an extra controller (just having each player hold one of the joy-cons).

Another difference is that instead of believing the bullshit written in physical magazines kids now believe the bullshit spouted by e-celebs. Same thing, different medium.

>>4854392
Amen brother. I grew up during the '90s and I always cringe when my peers tell me they're going to '90s music nostalgia parties (and there are a lot of those, it's big business here). Afterwards they always say that it's disappointing but they keep going back. I mean, who'd expect a band like Aqua to give a poor concert?

The real truth is that popular music is bad in general no matter what era you go to, and that every era has good music hidden in between all the shit. We only remember the great music from the '70s so fondly because all the crap has been forgotten.

>> No.4854468

>>4853296
>OP asks question
>poster answers

Maybe it's you who needs to shut the fuck up, retard. This is like going into a pizza shop and complaining that people are eating pizza.

>> No.4854473

>>4854456
>every era has good music hidden in between all the shit
>all the crap has been forgotten
Yeah, this is basically the answer to "Why is music shit now, it was so good back in x?" Music is crap right now because you're listening to all 40 popular songs right now and they're not all gonna be #1 singles from artists who will go on to robust careers. 10 years from now, we'll only remember the ones who made it and literally forget the other 35 singles that didn't become monster hits.

>> No.4854490

>>4853196

Everybody had hard dicks for 3D and FMV even though the technology for good 3D just didn't exist yet and FMV games weren't fun

Because of this, actual good 2D games with beautiful sprite art an animation were looked down on like dogshit and ignored so we could get returded fart tornados like Blasto, Bubsy3D, Bug! and Rascal.

Gaming enthusiasm was too focused on the hardware and not focused enough on game quality. People wanted to be able to do 3D games at home and were so anxious to achieve that, they almost didn't care what the games were like.

We saw the same thing in the first 2 years of VR with endless garbo "experiences" for mobile phone based headsets or the Rift DK1 and DK2 where it's not even a game, you just sit there while flying through some generic unity environment with generic unity assets and often it cost 5 bucks

This will probably happen every time there is some hot new technology that consumers will buy literally any game for while it's still fresh and exciting.

32X, Jaguar and 3DO are examples of our reach exceeding our grasp with regards to polygon graphics on home machines.

Meanwhile Star Fox, a game with shit graphics on a 16 bit machine was infinitely more fun because it was designed under the criteria that if it wasn't fun they wouldn't release it just because it had innovative visuals.

I hope people learn from this eventually. Hardware is of secondary importance to the quality of the content

>> No.4854497

>>4853196
Gaming in the back then current gen wasn't that much better from an economical point of view, even if renting and playing with friends or family could be fun. Shops and advertisement in general were just as big, if not even more than for games in this era. Magazines were neat but they weren't "necessary" or anything like that.

I also remember that in /vr/ era, especially in the mid to late 90s there were a lot of cartoons being aired on television from both older and newer shows. I bet anyone who grew up in the 90s will know 90% of any (American) cartoon ever made because of all the airplay back then. Nowadays you can watch them online or through er ... other means but back then it felt like it was everywhere.

Music and movies weren't that special to be honest. Some fads here and there but compared to earlier or later eras they didn't look or sound that much better except for some digital effects.

>> No.4854498

>>4853196

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgoB2HD0t4

>> No.4854512

>>4854497
You are full of shit. Just about everything you typed is wrong

>> No.4854520

Pretty much what people are posting: you only got a couple of games a year (unless a friend lent you some games) and magazines were the only source of inormation or the ocasional VHS with the new releases, which was a rarity though. Imagination went wild because, with the few screenshots of a review or preview, you had to imagine the game in your head, more so if it was form a console you didn't have.
English magazines, specially Mean Machines were really cool, full of crazy young people. The 80s punk style was still present in those early 90s magazines.

The Console wars was a bit tiresome, but the creativity of TV comercials and magazine ads was fantastic.
Also, arcades were still the rage, and seeing Virtua Fighter or Daytona USA for the first time around 1993 was one of the most mind-blowing experiences I have ever had.

Also, I personally believe that people back then had a more optimistic opinion about technological advancements. As technology wasn't as present in almost every one of our daily interactions as today, people was really looking forward for the ultimate advancements in graphics, sound or consoles. There was not digital fatigue yet.

>> No.4854527

>>4853209
behold an underage /pol/fag

>> No.4854536
File: 36 KB, 540x405, gfs_53548_2_5_mid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the arcades were a brilliant thing to experience at their peak

>> No.4854567
File: 35 KB, 350x350, 1527482157551.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853209
>t. assravaged /pol/tard

>> No.4854574

>>4854316
> It didn't have proper inputs so you'd use that RF adapter to use the rabbit ears, even if you house didn't use rabbit ears
One time I jury-rigged the inputs to hook my snes up to a special portable TV that didn't have any normal jacks on it, using the end of a 4-way AC adapter (not plugged in) in place of a converter, and I actually got enough signal to play.

>>4854328
> I don't think pop music was better than it is now.
This one is just terrible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdSmokR0Enk

These are no less bland than anything you see today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKO6XYXioc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZydtG3xqI

>>4854323
>>4854327
Most 90s kids don't remember a time without:
> Bicycle helmets
> Social media
> Cell phones and smartphones
> Ocarina of Time
> Final Fantasy VII
And during prime teenage gaming years played:
> World of Warcraft
> Grand Theft Auto
> Kingdom Hearts
> The Sims

>> No.4854582

>>4854567
>>4854527
He's right and you guys are weak-willed retards who can't resist low-effort cringeposting a day after the fact despite that pretty much everyone just ignored it and stayed on topic with positive contributions.

>> No.4854584

>>4853209
I'm not entirely sure anyone truly knows the history of vidya, especially since many here are such consolefags.
There was an Atari ST game called Paki Bash made in '89. It hasn't been dumped, because all dumpers are crybabies. Apparently, some Muzz in UK put a $1k bounty to dox the author.
Now, if we weren't overrun by crybabies, why does practically no one know of this game's existence, and why does everyone just screech about Custer's Revenge?

>> No.4854587

One thing I dont miss about the 90s: >Having to tune your TV set manually each time you added a console to it.
>Having to use the aerial port which was even worse than composite.

Yeah, I was born in 1992. But I grew up with the SNES, Megadrive, Gameboy and Master System first, before moving onto N64 and PS1 years later. Even if the UK was heavily into the PC scene from the late 80s to late 90s, I never experienced it. My first PC was a Tiny Computer. And it was a piece of shit that could barely run Windows 95/98.
I remember me and my dad installing the OS over and over. Driver discs were a pain, games like Toonstruck refused to run at all.
We did have an interactive Barney set though. That was kind of magic seeing the toy react to the games on the screen. Well, when it worked that is.
Edicational games usually worked ok. Trawling Encarta encyclopedia was a fun past time of mine. Making shitty movies in 3D Movie Maker was a blast.
I miss the awe and excitement of seeing rapid advancements in front of my eyes. I subbed Official Playstation and Official Nintendo Magazines, all the way till the late 2000s before the writing went to shit and the excitement died.

>> No.4854591
File: 1.40 MB, 1204x882, 1527252340979-pol.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4854582
>he's right
>samefagging this hard

>> No.4854654

>>4854591
An SJW blundering around in an alternate reality, there's a surprise.

>> No.4854664

>>4854456
i just don't wanna hear "smells like teen spirit" anymore, my fucking neighbors used to blare that shit at night like 25 years ago

>> No.4854674

As a beaner it was a very social experience for me. What I miss mostly are the locadoras. I owned my own consoles but it wasn't uncommon for me to pay to play in these places since everybody used to hang there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKtoD4FJww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbJPqWBqONY
Skip from 1:48 to 2:10. Nightmare fuel

Some were pretty nice and more expensive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGl-6HxED4w

>> No.4854723

>>4854456
>The real truth is that popular music is bad in genera
It's more like popular music tends to be good in terms of production value and most technical qualities. There can also be a surprising amount of creativity in terms of composition, although still constrained by the need for broad appeal and accessibility. Pop music also heavily favors youthful sexy singers and singers with a unique, distinctive sound, although that's kind of true in most genres to be perfectly honest.

In my experience, people who hate pop music usually fall into one of these categories:

> Nostalgiafags who think only their pop music was good
> Fans of rock and metal who see pop music as too feminine and shallow. (Which is legit, but rock and metal fans are often the most arrogant and closed-minded of anyone)
> contrarian hipsters who don't like anything popular, ever.
> ivory tower academics lost in their own world and obsessed with originality above all else.

>> No.4854738

>>4853296
nerd

>> No.4854764

>>4854456
You're a bit delusional if you think popular music "has always been bad". Just look for instance at the billboards of 1968:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1968
Or from 1972
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1972

Now tell me that todays we get as many good popular songs as those years. Not only there was much better music and artists back then, but a lot of really good songs were highly popular.

>> No.4854858 [DELETED] 
File: 217 KB, 1296x1458, 1522855052241.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4854654
>everyone I don't like is an sjw

>> No.4854864 [DELETED] 

>>4854858
> spazzing out about one post in a thread full of polite discussion
> not an sjw

>> No.4854875

>>4853575
>>4853584
I'm not the one who came up with the term "golden era", it's commonly accepted that the late 70s and early 80s are the arcade golden era.
I just thinkg the 90s were the golden era of consoles, with SNES and Genesis being the undisputed kings.
That doesn't mean arcades weren't great though, I guess 90s is the silver era of arcades?

>> No.4854949

>>4854336
Radio pop can't get much worse than it is now. t's not even catchy by virtue of a good melody anymore; it's just paint-by-numbers repetition with charmless production. Most of it sounds like little effort was put into it other than in the technical aspects.
>>4854392
Wrong.
>>4854456
>The real truth is that popular music is bad in general no matter what era you go to
"Popular music" is a huge category. If you're going to throw that away, you're getting rid of most of the music ever recorded. Anyone from Vess Ossman to the Boswell Sisters to The Talking Heads would be getting the axe.

If you're talking about strictly "pop," then that used to be done much better.
>We only remember the great music from the '70s so fondly because all the crap has been forgotten.
I wouldn't say that when listening to celebrated music from that era.
>>4854574
I don't know about that. My first console was the NES, and I would rent SNES games pretty regularly. I remember my neighbor kid owning an NES too, and my neighbor's nephew who would come to visit would bring along his Game Gear.

People born in the '90s grew up playing a lot more crap when compared to people born in the '70s and '80s (and are more faggy overall), but it's not that black and white.
>>4854764
This is correct, and I don't really even like the music from that era. You'll find good music in all periods, but some have more to offer than others.
>>4854858
If you're being an apologist for them, then you're close enough.

>> No.4854950 [DELETED] 

All I remember is pop from before was more rock while nowadays they have a hip hop feel.

Find the nigger

>> No.4854953 [DELETED] 

>>4854950
Rock originated as a black music style, you baka.

>> No.4854957

>>4854217
shit like this is why intel invented hypertoasting, that way you can toast multiple pieces of bread on a single toaster slot. Single-toast slots couldn't even compete.

>> No.4854959

ITT: People think Top 40 was ever good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywK_5bT8z0

I rest my case.

>> No.4854962

>>4854959
I'm not gonna say top 40 was ever properly "good", but there sure was more variety. It's even scientifically proven.

>> No.4854970

pretty funny how this turned from "what was the 90s like for gaming" into "let's debate pop music quality". No bumps for you!

>> No.4854971
File: 112 KB, 817x920, exhaustion.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Console wars didn't matter since between you and friends from school, you'd have access to all the consoles. Yeah, you would argue about which console was "best" because you got to play everything anyway, so it didn't really matter. It was a lot more innocent and friendly in almost every way. Gaming was at that sweet point where it was popular enough to get shitloads of games but niche enough to keep from getting watered down by casuals. Gore and sex weren't scandalous - they were just things you made sure mom didn't walk in on.

The gaming press was also nearly completely run by nerds and the filter of physical media kept journalism dropouts from ruining everything. Sure, most magazines just shilled for whatever companies paid them for ad space, but at least the reviews were entertaining. EGM was the fucking king back then. Almost every article was written by dudes who loved vidya.

Even my parents and older cousins remember the 90s as being a more innocent and fun time. The specter of politics and social tensions were just a background hum that you could easily forget about for months at a time. Now it's everywhere, and shit is totally fucked.

>> No.4855000

>>4854971
>Even my parents and older cousins remember the 90s as being a more innocent and fun time

t. life was innocent and fun for sheltered upper middle class suburban white people

Yeah, the crack wars and the LA Riots were innocent and fun.

>> No.4855008

>>4853328
Well, piracy usually took the form of sharing floppy discs (early 90s) and downloading NO-CD cracks from warez ftps (late 90s) in my experience. But yeah, there was no widespread bittorrent and no massive DRM industry.

>>4853196
It's hard to describe how fast-paced everything was. The jump from early 90s 2D to 3D was staggering, and 3d and computing in general advanced so rapidly it was almost exhausting. If you wanted to play the latest PC games you would drop $3k on a new computer every year or two as game makers were always building for the hardware that was to arrive right at release.

>> No.4855061

>>4855000
go bitch on tumblr about it

>> No.4855071

>>4855000
And it will be for my kids as well.

>> No.4855074
File: 42 KB, 260x226, IMG_0769.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I grew up with PS1 polygon graphics

>> No.4855085

>>4854971
Just because your parents are 60 doesn't mean they can't be retarded on nostalgia.

>> No.4855108

Born July 1989. A lot of renting from blockbusters. I remember playing Super Castlevania 4 and Super Mario World a ton as kid, as well as Megaman X (I was trash at it. My next door neighbor had a Sega so we'd play Sonic in his basement.

The jump to 3d was nuts. Mario 64, Didy Kong Racing, Zelda, Star Fox, Metal Gear Solid, Brave Fencer Musashi (didn't play FF7 until I was an adult because turn based combat bored me until I got older). The commercials for Super Smash Bros were great. Most video game ads were great in those days, from magazines to television. Games didnt take themselves to seriously. Halo was great, Halo parties Freshman year of high school, Guitar Hero my senior year. Once I went to college in 2007, I drifted over to PC gaming. No need to reminisce over recent crap.

And it was a refuge from bullying and social alienation, a place that felt unique to you and people like you. Which is why I hate fucking gamer and nerd culture.

>> No.4855110

>>4855000

t. nigger

>> No.4855120
File: 175 KB, 640x480, 20120618-212302.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read this article if you want to understand why 90s games were so fucking awesome.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/blue-sky-thinking-why-everybody-still-loves-sega-w491285

TLDR: It's because of the design philosophy color vibrancy, aesthetic and music

>> No.4855131

>>4853196
There was a lot less information about games, especially in the early 90's. You rarely knew which games were good. That's why everyone had the Simpsons NES game, because it's the Simpsons! There were some gaming magazines, but not everyone read them. Many awful games got sold simply because of awesome covers.

>> No.4855145
File: 854 KB, 500x536, 6c1bc30c-2ab8-4137-980f-ff143fc8c816.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

18 here, are most users here in their 30's? I can see clearly people here are older then those on /v/ but I always saw /vr/ as more of people who grew up with fifth gen consoles and such and only in their late 20's.

>> No.4855150
File: 78 KB, 879x960, hmz89aw1gi511.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4855164

>>4855120
That article is mostly Sega fanboyism. There most certainly was a focus on color and aesthetics but pretending like the SNES wasn't mostly better in this regard is silly. SNES games weren't gritty brown shit they were bright and colorful games like Super Mario World and F-Zero. Where Sega beat the SNES was faster motion and a few other processing advantages.

Of course there were other reasons too like reasonable development scale and realism being too far out of reach technically for designers to have to consider it.

>> No.4855165

>>4855145
I'm a Gen-Xer that turns 40 next year. 5th gen consoles came out when I was going to college.

>> No.4855176

I was lucky enough to be born just in time to look up cheat codes for Genesis games on an ancient browser as a toddler.

>> No.4855185
File: 567 KB, 300x300, Rockman_X2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4855145
1985 here.
I'd still think most people here are indeed in their mid to late 20s though.

>> No.4855195

>>4854490
I was playing exclusively almost exclusively 2D games in the 90s
Actually I didn't have the money for any video games and I had to go to my neighbor to play any games. I was big on Mega Man X4 and we thought Mario 64 was really lame compared to Ocarina of Time.
We played a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom and Megaman 8 looked awesome to me but I never got to play it, only watch my neighbor play it.
We actually only had a N64 and got the my neighbour got the PS1 during the late 90s.
I remember playing on Genecyst on DOS as well.

>> No.4855215
File: 213 KB, 1191x670, _wallpaper___sonic_the_hedgehog___green_hill_zone_by_jeikeytor-dbfi7ad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4855164
SEGA was an arcade giant before they made a single console game. Games like Space Harrier, Outrun, After Burner etc had brilliant sky scapes. In arcades you have to depend on visual and auditory explosion to immediately catch the attention of the players, the mega drive carried over some of that design philosophy. SNES was a home console and was different in this regard.

Also don't pretend that super mario world can hold a candle to even the first Sonic when it comes to visual vibrancy, let alone Sonic 3 and knuckles.

>> No.4855220

>MD vs SNES shitposting
reminder that if you didn't own both during the 90s, you only had half a childhood.

>> No.4855224
File: 606 KB, 1050x783, 2018-06-22_21h50_13.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4855215
Also reminder that S E G A was literally vaporwave the company

>> No.4855226

>>4855224
>vaporwave

>> No.4855229

>>4855220
what about snes+dos games?

>> No.4855234

>>4854283
Still good.

>> No.4855236

>>4855226
Have some Vaporwave to calm your soul, friend. Learn to dream again

https://youtu.be/4kdwUOlihDA

>> No.4855241

>>4855145
28 here. Genesis was my first system and my dad bought a decent Packard Bell machine so I got to play games Myst in the mid 90's.

>> No.4855249

>>4855241
>Packard Hell
>decent machine

>> No.4855278

>>4854329
I'm a barbie girl in a barbie world... I wonder how long that will be stuck in your head now anon?

One thing I also remember, every game always felt like there were hidden secrets. Some younger people can't understand how we could burn every bush/bomb every wall in Zelda. It's because it was the norm. Finding secrets was amazing, even glitches like "negative worlds" in SMB. It wasn't until probably PS2 that it felt like games wouldn't have secrets all over the place. Sure there are some secrets in games now, but back then, you tried every wall, etc. When you had one or two games a year minus rentals, you tried to find everything.

>> No.4855298

Going to your buddies house to play Mario 64 only for him to show you his dads VHS porn and ending up comparing dicks and jerking eachother while watching it

>> No.4855306

>>4853209
There was a lot of environmentalism though.

>> No.4855319 [DELETED] 

>>4853446
>popular = bad
What's wrong with Souls?

Soulsborne, immersive sims (nuPrey, nuDX, Dishonored), throwbacks to 90s CRPGs like Pillars/D:OS, and indie shit are the only contemporary games I've enjoyed. That and Doom.

>> No.4855330

>>4855220
I had an SNES in 4th grade and discovered Genecyst and Kega in middle school. So I kinda had both.

>> No.4855343

>>4855319
Souls contrarians have been out in force since the remaster release, memeing about the AI, the second half of the game, the "clunky" movement, and other exaggerated nitpicks. I've never seen anyone actually recommend a game that's similar but superior.

>> No.4855356

The biggest difference to me is just the access and availability to a wealth of information about gaming. Back until the late 90s, if you wanted to beat a game you only had a few options. You could either just keep playing it yourself until you get it, physically talk to other people who might know how to beat a game, or printed guide that you (or someone else) bought.

Another big difference now is the lack of physical copies, and even then how shitty the physical copies you get usually now are (unless some collector's edition or something). It wasn't uncommon for old "physical" copies Link to the Past or Final Fantasy VI (3 as we knew it then) to come with in depth manual and full sized world maps. Now you just get shitty plastic box if you buy a physical copy.

>> No.4855358

>>4855000
>if you weren't a nigger living in LA trying to loot Asians you are an upper middle suburban white person

>> No.4855367

>>4855356
It saddens me that Nintendo stopped putting manuals in their games, I used to have a lot of fun looking at the pictures and reading the stories

>> No.4855372

>>4855164
keyword here is motion.
Snes is superior at showing static images. That's it.

>> No.4855376

>>4853285
>Arcade Ports that were almost always way better in the arcade.
As far as I remember most didnt

>> No.4855413

>>4853196
Every new game or sequel contained some crazy awesome leap in technology or features. It was a time of huge innovation.

Lack of internet access meant it was possible to spread rumours and hoaxs easily.

>> No.4855417
File: 116 KB, 907x605, 1525925390388.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853196
>You will never walk into the gaming aisle and feel that overwhelming mystery and intrigue of endless possibilities

>> No.4855437

My dad was a gamer and I’m American so I got to play pretty much every console that came out, plus portables, and we always had an up-to-date gaming PC and had tons of games. He also knows a fair amount of Japanese so he would import a lot of games, especially when PlayStation and Saturn came out, as well as the N64 games that you could easily just cut the bottom edges of the cart with an razor blade and play them on the US system. Not to mention that he had a Sony PVM and a Trinitron with a sound system set up. Also I was an only child so never had to share shit.

>> No.4855446

>>4853209
This. Also Holidays were great because you could hit up an arcade and play games before they came out in your country.

Also, you could rent games for like 3 nights from your nearest video rental store

>> No.4855450

>>4855220
I had both, but I always wanted a Turbografx-16. I would hear people speak of it in whispers, but no one had one or knew anyone who did. I did have a friend who had a Saturn, but I never played any of the games on it. He was more into his PlayStation anyway.

>> No.4855453

>>4853328
My city has a market where you coukd always purchase pirated games on the cheap. Also, when I was dead young, you could do it yourself with a tape.

>>4853790
I went to a "rich" school. Richest people had 2 televisions - but I am a Bong

>> No.4855519

>>4855437
Cool story bro. Needs more "what the developers intended" and shit.

>> No.4855540

>>4853303
>>4853323
No you retard, we have 100% of 90s media available today, all going back would do is make it much less cobvenient to track something down, plus you'd need to buy each game individually from a store that probably won't even have it in stock instead of just taking the two seconds and zero dollars required to download a rom and emulate it.

>> No.4855583

>N64
Mario 64, Kart, Party, Super Smash Bros and Zelda all day

>any other console
someone would rent the game and we would spend the day trying to beat it

>> No.4855703

>>4853328
Piracy was like your friend gave you the floppy or the CD and you cloned it
For cartridge there were some shit in Chinatown that sold them
Easy as done.

>> No.4855705

>>4855417
Internet spoils us too easily nowaday

>> No.4855728

>>4855703
>For cartridge there were some shit in Chinatown that sold them

Neither you nor 99.99% of kids had real access to this.

In reality, piracy threats to business were coming from distributors or the stores that actually sold them, eg arcade machines could be modded after the fact. This wasn't done for the player's benefit, only the arcade owner's.

>> No.4855737

>>4853196
real just like life

>> No.4855778

>>4854959
I wouldn't call that a good song or anything, but it's pretty inoffensive.
>>4855000
Nobody cares, Tyrone.
>>4855540
>not taking your flash carts and hard drives back in time with you

>> No.4855837

>>4855145
30 here. Game boy was my first system...I really liked it and I still think it's impressive what the makers made with the technology at the time.

>> No.4855848

>>4855145

I'm 32 and I grew up with the NES.

I can clearly see that the median age around here is about mine, but at the same time people in their young 30s are also clearly in the minority. This board is pretty evenly distributed from teens to 40s. I see shit that me before middle school wouldn't know much about even if I was alive back then and I also see lots of posts by people who don't know how important arcades were or some other common sense knowledge that EVERYBODY from the 90s knew about.

>> No.4855857

>>4855848
I'm 29 and had basically zero arcade experience growing up, the drop-off was fast, and geographic location played a big part.

>> No.4855865

>>4855857
Yeah, geography might be a big factor.
I'm 31 and we all played arcade games constantly when I was a kid, but we also had a big town roller rink / arcade place that made this possible, whereas other area without that kind of venue might have caused kids to just play video games at home.
I don't think arcades were as heavily chain driven as other industries. Most were one-off things someone local set up.

>> No.4855875

>>4855865
Absolutely, I grew up in a town of ~7,000 and the closest arcade type thing was the 'mall' about a 45 minute drive away. We did have a bowling alley with Outrun though, I do remember that, and playing Roadblasters at the grocery store.

>> No.4855885

>>4855857
>>4855865
>>4855875

Oh come on, people who didn't go to arcades still knew there were tons of games from there that people liked.

>> No.4855897

>>4855885
I didn't imply otherwise, I'm just saying that they were 100% not part of my childhood, despite growing up roughly around the right time. If I knew of arcade games other than the few I saw occasionally, it was due to console ports.

>> No.4855902

>>4855236
No thanks, I prefer to listen to the original artists without some random kid processing the track on goldwave to lower the bpm.

>> No.4855904

>>4855902
don't give the tumblr-wave people attention

>> No.4855992
File: 59 KB, 870x947, crying ness .jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4855875
is there anything more torturous than living in a small town with little to no gaming stores or arcades?

>> No.4856005

>>4855992
It was an interesting childhood. My folks wouldn't buy me games until the ~N64 era, so I ended up playing my (much) older siblings' Atari for years. First interaction with an NES was at a friend's house.

>> No.4856130

>>4855236

This is my go to playlist.

>> No.4856238

>>4853196
I was born in 88. Some of my earliest memories are playing nes games with my older brother. I can remember being excited about new snes games. N64 blew my mind; first time sharing new shit with friends and cousins, and each new game was a blast. 1997-2000 was the golden age of video games for me.

Some of it is nostalgia, no question, but fuck, it was all just so big and fun and engrossing. Only a handful of games since then have hit the spot, whereas it felt like most of the ones I played at the time did.

>> No.4856249
File: 38 KB, 530x504, birbo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853209
it was there. you just didn't notice

>> No.4856250

>>4856005
My parents could afford new consoles, the torture is just that I'd have to drive about an hour to Lansing just to get some games or go to the Arcade.

>> No.4856251

>>4855417

and you want to rent mario rpg but it's rented out every single time

>> No.4856253

>>4855857

The only arcade near me was in a mall. I mostly played arcade games in laundromats or inside walmart

>> No.4856398
File: 314 KB, 650x706, Cranky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

some of my happiest memories are of playing 4 person split-screen goldeneye, mario kart, diddy kong racing with all the kids in the neighborhood. whoever lost had to pass the controller to someone else. the social aspect was awesome.

Talking shit and exploiting certain elements proximity mines often resulted in fist fights. it was part of the experience.

renting games was interesting. If they didn't have the game you came in to rent you had to frantically look at every box, pick a game based on its box art/title and hope for the best. seeing a strangers save file felt kinda mysterious. it's hard to describe the feeling exactly.

Cheat codes were a thing

borrowing a friends game in exchange for one of your own.

The games were simpler in some aspects. the technology was new. games had just become 3D and fancy graphics were sidenotes rather than selling points.

I dunno why it was so awesome to be honest. maybe it was just because I was a kid but nothing has captivated me like the games from my childhood have. Everything is just so different now. there's no subtlety in games, music, or movies anymore. there's nothing that makes you have to draw your own conclusions. Your just given the answers. maybe it's just nostalgia and being a jaded asshole that makes me dislike new games and stuff. I still play the same games I did as a kid to this day. and now im gonna play some sim city.

>> No.4856406

>>4855417
I saw the image and started to remember the weird smell blockbuster had.

>> No.4856424

>>4855145
I'm 28. My first console was an NES my grandparents bought for my sister and I. I never had a SNES or playstation. I remember when my dad got me an N64 for Xmas though. It was my childhood defining console i guess.

>> No.4856539

>>4853196
That's ok. Dozens of people younger than you will tell you all about it ITT.

>> No.4856570

>>4856398
>Cheat codes were a thing
Are they not a thing anymore?

>> No.4856601

>>4854456
Radio has always been corporate garbage. I don't really care if something was on it that these radiofags listen to, because I don't give a shit about 99.9% of it from any era. Most of the morons that go "muh modern music sucks" are just incredibly lazy tards who refuse to go to Bandcamp, Soundcloud or wherever (like Piapro.jp) and actually fucking look for something and would rather let the radio spoon-feed them free shit with their cancerous radio hosts and ads.

Radiocucks are some of the most casual fags ever. Modern music doesn't suck, it has more options than ever, and because there's so many options, they'd rather sit around and cry about mommy not putting the genre they want on their way to school.

>> No.4856603

>>4855450
I had a turbo graphics 16 growing up. there was only 1 video store that had games for rental for it within vicinity. It came with keith courage and I had got bonks revenge as first game. over time I got impossamole and I remember my brother kept dragon's quest for almost 2 months from the store. He had a habit of renting games and keeping them. we owed hundreds at rental stores we would just stop going/not pickup when they called. got several snes games this way.

>> No.4856607

Despite what people here will have you believe, it was a lot more social. Every kid I knew played videogames and now and then I would end up at someone's house playing the SNES/NES/N64 with them.

>> No.4856621

>>4854527
>>4854567
Cucks plz go

>> No.4856627
File: 487 KB, 750x750, go.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4856607
>Despite what people here will have you believe, it was a lot more social.
I have never heard of anyone claiming people were less social during the 90s, where are you getting that idea from?

>> No.4856630

>>4853296
What a faggot lmao

>> No.4856659

>>4856627
We're the lucky ones, it seems. All I see is "girls/normalfags invaded my hobby in 200X" this and "I miss when videogames were for just for us" that. It's surreal.

>> No.4856727

>>4855145
25 here, I grew up with PC games and played a lot of DOS stuff simultaneously with early 2000s releases. As a kid I would go over to my cousins and play Mega Drive games and Wolf3d/Keen on their ancient DOS machine, before parents bought a decent PC when I was about 10. Never really cared about what was new and sexy even as a kid, so it was easy to get into emulation and 90s games. I always felt alienated by peers who only played the contemporary shit desu, it just fslt so limiting.

>> No.4856883

>>4856659
You might have a point if you're just talking about console games. Computer games on the other hand like on the PC were actually niche compared to other platforms. Yes, Myst and Doom were popular but even those games were hardly comparable to Nintendo, Sega and Sony published console games. Computers were still expensive as hell till long after the /vr/ era ended.

>> No.4856891
File: 120 KB, 610x838, 1477332780424.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853196
Getting demo discs with the magazines was cool.

There were a lot more games coming out each month; A LOT MORE. This was before fuckers like EA and Take Two decided to gobble up all of the small fish to gut them of their IPs. So there was never a time when there wasn't a selection of something new.

Genres and stuff that people take for granted today were still new, and were still testing out new ideas to find what worked and what didn't.

There were no social agendas. Dev studios were not over-ran by fat feminist lesbians who want to see white men die and want faggots in everything.

Games were whole and complete. When you paid your money, you got the whole game without anything cleaved out to sell as DLC.

There was no Xbox, so games didn't have to get fucked up to revolve around Xfags who want FPS, slash-action, and gay dating sims in every game. And since it was Microsoft who pushed devs into putting DLC into everything, this also goes back to games being whole and complete.

>> No.4856892

>>4856424
Probably accurate, people aged 25-35 are old enough to remember /vr/ games fondly, yet young enough to be hip with an internet hate machine.

>> No.4856896
File: 6 KB, 200x200, internaltea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4855061
>anon succinctly calls out naive idea of this 'innocence past'
>"haha, i'll tell him to go on tumblr!! XD~"

>> No.4856898
File: 196 KB, 1038x1203, 1387562522784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The FF7 remake won't be true to the source due to leftist bullshit.

And I don't have to buy that shit nevertheless pay for a game that's been broken up into multiple parts plus DLC.

>> No.4856905

>>4856898
Is Cloud still going to be crossdressing?

>> No.4856912

It wasn't obnoxious.

>> No.4856918
File: 1.07 MB, 1440x1843, Old-new-square.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853935
WHY BUILD YOUR OWN GAMING COMPANY TO MAKE YOUR OWN GAMES WHEN YOU CAN MANIPULATE AND TAKE OVER WHAT OTHER PEOPLE BUILT TO MAKE IT REVOLVE AROUND YOU?

She got what she wanted with raping the gaming industry to make it revolve around her mental social goals, so she doesn't even pretend to be "GAMER-GIRL WHOO" like she used to.

>>4856905
I am sure they'll turn it into a privelege-check for Cloud.

>> No.4856924

It was good, because it was before my butthole prolapsed and I could sit. Now I can't sit. I'm always standing. It's just not good anymore.

>> No.4856928

>>4856891
>Games were whole and complete.
I guess it is worse now, but i was incomplete playing duke3d and ended up buying the
>plutonium pack
I don't think it's wrong, they deserve to get paid for their work, but how things are monetized has changed and it's complex. EG, i paid $50 for duke 3d in 96 and probably another... $30? for plutonium pack in 97. That's $80, in today's money more like ~$150. Fucked if i've spent anywhere near $150 on a game in the last 15 years. The last expensive game i bought was pubg (i know, i know...) @ $30 and theres no way i'd buy their cosmetic bullshit.

>> No.4856932

Games were for whites and Asians then, so they weren't so dumb and bad. Now that companies are making games for a dumber audience, they've just gotten worse in all regards.

>> No.4856936

>>4853296
go lick a controller you stronk womyn

>> No.4856940

>>4855278
I miss secrets. Game devs don't want their content to go unnoticed/wasted but the knowledge that there were secrets that rewarded autisticly pressing space on every wall. Partly, i knew i wouldn't find them all, so when i came across them it was satisfying and a small moment that made you feel more connected to the developer.

>> No.4856943

>>4853296
guaranteed replies

>> No.4856957

>>4856570
Not really in the same way I don't think. Now you have cheat engine and game genie features are built into emulators. You have save editors and mods and of course you still have glitches like item duping and such.

But games now are less likely to have actual secret codes built into the game, like the Contra cheat code or naming your character ZELDA in Legend of Zelda. I remember the game "Guerilla Wars" had an infinite continue code. Games like Mega Man, Metroid, and Tyson's Punch-Out had password systems instead of save games, meaning if you knew the password you could skip ahead or get extra lives or items.

After the early 90s, most of that stuff is either not necessary in most cases (like extra lives and infinite continues) or is just a feature that is built into the UI.

>> No.4856963
File: 128 KB, 1024x819, FFVIISD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4856898

>> No.4857001

>>4856570
Companies decided they could sell infinite ammo, infinite health, etc as DLC.

For real that's what killed cheat codes

>> No.4857002

>>4857001
This is also what killed unlockable content. Remember when you could unlock characters in Marvel vs Capcom by simply playing the game? Yeah..

>> No.4857017

>>4856891
>reddit spacing
>muh microsoft boogieman
wew

>> No.4857079
File: 19 KB, 400x306, 1301997748153.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4856570
>>4856957
>>4857001
The other aspect is cheats were originally, largely, a tool developers used to test their game during development. Nowadays this is no longer needed for a few reasons:
1) game-play is more modular (map/level-based)
2) developed often include a console with scripting capabilities and many aspects of the engine exposed allowing trivial testing in many game aspects. Eg spawn/kill enemies, models/change stats live.
3) Engines are advanced and PCs powerful enough that games can be tested in a sandbox 'designer' environment.

>> No.4857107

>>4857017
Yet it's true. It was Microsoft that first started pushing devs to do DLC so they could sell it in XBL. Now thanks to them it's the industry standard to pay for incomplete games.

>> No.4857108

There was plenty of liberal propaganda back in the 90s, we were just too young to identify it.

I was watched some movies I enjoyed in the 90s earlier this year and it is there guys, don't be fooled.

>> No.4857113
File: 52 KB, 640x480, reviewr1314-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4857108

>> No.4857132

>>4853209
instead we had murican propaganda inserted into most games.

>> No.4857134

>>4857107
Keep telling yourself that, also >>>/v/

>> No.4857152

>>4857132
Weird huh since so many of the games everyone played and talked about were made by the Japanese. And for those that weren't, how much murican proganda is in say, Diablo or Warcraft?

>> No.4857159

1988 masterrace reporting in. Born too early to expirence the golden age of video games, born too late to want to actively keep in touch with the current age of video games, born just in time to see it all go to hell.
Born to play
Game is a fuck
Kill em all 1988
I was not a bad enough dude
Over 700,000 buried cartridges

>> No.4857175

>>4857113

Kek, so they weren't a lesbian couple after all. Wasn't this made by Eidos, though? Considering Lara Croft, I don't think they'd put a tranny in a game in their next project.

>> No.4857207

>>4857108
I recognized it even then, but it was worst in sitcoms and teen TV. It wasn't as bad in videogames. But yeah, 90s brainwashing is what gave us the millions of retarded millenials who fall for FemFreq bullshit.

>> No.4857249

>>4857159
Those born 1985-1993 experienced the golden age of video games, both console and computer - with the exception of arcades, which happened a decade too early for them. Maturation of 2d consoles, rise of 3d, and the maturation of 3d to slide into a mass-market entertainment industry which brought all the shit
>pay2win, DLC, EA lootboxes, multi-million dollar advertising budgets, preorders, DRM content

>> No.4857287
File: 852 KB, 2592x1944, Have_to_cover_up_my_shame.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853196
Well, it is my nostalgia, so take it with a grain of salt.

Arcade machines were everywhere. I remember them at convenience stores, gas stations (7-eleven), tourist traps, restaurants (Chinese, Indian), diners, pizza parlors (Pizza Hut/local place), donut shoppe, bus/train station, bars, malls, music stores, movie theaters, amusment parks, fast food places (Burger King/local places), school recreation centers, department stores, bowling alleys, etc. The phone book (a book full of businesses to call) would list many dedicated game centers. Wherever you go, there's something new and great to potentially play.

Japan was the place for all the latest and greatest. Maybe it was the programming with all the Transformer toys being made in Japan, and all the Nintendo games/systems made there too, but a lot of exciting games came from there.

Imagine trade shows featuring videogames, but the lines/queues were no more than 8 people.

Computers were interesting too. Lots of sharing games around with friends. Big box games filling store shelves from your feet to above your head, rows and rows of them.

It's probably nice for kids now, without all the wait and bullshit. There's more games than before, with so much to choose, but I am pretty happy to have experienced gaming in the 90s.

>> No.4857305

>>4854567
But he's right. You didn't even deny it.

'assravaged' is not an argument against the source of the assravaging.

>> No.4857314

>>4856883
I always got my grandmas old computer when she bought a new one. I remember not having enough RAM and disk space to install the sims and rollercoaster tycoon. Very dark times

>> No.4857345

>>4857249
I agree it wasn't the golden age of score based classic arcade games but those were the golden age of beat em ups and fighting games in the arcades no doubt. I'd dare say even the golden age of arcade racing. Perhaps even golden age of kids gambling, since there was a shit ton of those ticket machines. Maybe even golden age of rail shooters.

>> No.4857356

>>4855417
Best feeling ever. such a privelage to go and get any game I wanted to try. Then to be able to flip between nitro and raw when wrestling was at its best. Truly the best time to be alive

>> No.4857382

I don't know how our parents put up with all the random kids that they'd see in the house after work. Piles of bikes out front. I've had 6-7 kids over at my house ranging in age from 8-18. kinda weird looking back but it was usually just someones older brother that just wanted to play some multiplayer. Options were limited and you took the few opportunities you had. even if it meant hanging around a bunch of annoying kids

>> No.4857387

>>4854536
Third Strike had some kino as fuck music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AA_9xajnnM

>> No.4858168

>>4857249
>anyone born between arbitrary made up dates that define my arbitrary made up definition of a term experienced it
By definition. The only people who experienced the actual golden age of video games were born in the early 70's at the latest. They also experienced whatever your chosen time period is actually called.

>> No.4858185
File: 405 KB, 1280x960, acdf0484-62d5-4ba9-8b9c-961dab22a696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Maybe a weird question but to anyone between 30 to 40, did you ever have a phase where you felt you grew out of gaming? Or one where you stopped enjoying games you used to love?

I'm 18 now and have been thinking about the person I may be decades down the line. As I think about the games I play and enjoy now I really wonder if these will still be games I enjoy years down the line. Stuff like mario and doom is simple and classic, nearly everyone enjoys them and they can be played by anyone, but I think about some of the weirder stuff I enjoy. I really love mainline SMT for example but I think about it and sort of question putting time into stuff like this feeling nervous I may grow out of it and feel I wasted my time. I just think "will I really enjoy all these weird very anime inspired jrpgs in my 30's or 40's?". I don't know if I can really see myself playing 50 hour jrpgs years down the line and it sucks but it's reality.

>> No.4858206

>>4858185
I'm 29 and only got into SMT only around ~3 years ago, those are games you can 'grow' with, especially the retro titles. Anyway, I still play a fair amount of long RPGs (old and new), they just take me longer than when I didn't have a job, fiancee, bills, etc. That's life, but the things you enjoy are the things you enjoy; if you love doing something, it's not a waste of time. I mean, as long as it's not literally killing you or anything. Some of your tastes may change over time, that's totally normal. I love tons of things I loved as a teenager, and I have grown out of some too, but for the most part, you like what you like.

>> No.4858589

>>4858185
There are phases when I don't play much or feel I don't like some kind of games anymore, yes. Anyway, when that phase ends I play again and enjoy certain games that I thought I had stopped liking. I'm 36 and that kind of things have happened a lot in my life.

Something similar happens to me with movies, but you have to remember that these things are only vital phases or cycles where your body / mind goes through some internal changes, and so, it can reflect in temporary changes in tastes and moods.

>> No.4858598

>>4858185
>Maybe a weird question but to anyone between 30 to 40, did you ever have a phase where you felt you grew out of gaming?
i've been gaming since 1983. i never felt like i grew out of it, since gaming has always been for all generations, not just kids. I do spend less time in recent years playing games as im busy with other shit but if i wasn't busy, id probably guess time i would spend on playing games hasn't changed in over 30 years.

> don't know if I can really see myself playing 50 hour jrpgs years down the line
if the game is any good, you probably will be. you're only 18 (if i believe that) so your views will most likely change. when i was 18 we were accelerating at a fast pace in terms of gaming tech, so i was always looking forward to the next new arcade or next game to appear on whatever console. that feeling never left me either. I can't see myself changing by the time im in my 50s or later.

>> No.4858603

>>4853196
Play some old games and find out

>> No.4858680

>>4858185
most people have a phase where they think they grew out of gaming and they sell or give away their stuff because they think they are over it and they just lose interest after turning 18. This is usually a mistake and after people have experienced being an adult for while the new experiences become boring and you then want to experience gaming again, this is why so many people try to buy the old games that they gave away.

>> No.4858691

>>4853898
I totally I agree with this. I was born in 1980 and seeing a Playstation for the first time with shit like Destruction Derby and even Battle Arena Toshinden was mindblowing.

>> No.4858698

>>4858680
This is completely true. It has happened to me a couple of times and it still hurts knowing how many valuable things I got rid of.

>> No.4858715

>>4857356
>Best feeling ever. such a privelage to go and get any game I wanted to try. Then to be able to flip between nitro and raw when wrestling was at its best. Truly the best time to be alive
I don't understand this thinking at all (and before someone calls me young, I was born in '86 and also played rental games growing up).
You live today in a world where you can actually have any game you want, instantly and for free, on either your computer or on a magic gameboy sized smartphone that can support shit like Dreamcast and N64 games (inb4 but muh Rare company third party N64 games don't emulate well, don't be greedy).
It's like those people who keep on trashing the ability to download any book you feel like for free with two seconds of search engine use because they have some weird, probably faked preference for ink on paper.
It's fucking insane, you have these godlike resources and just invent new ways to pretend it isn't vastly superior to life beforehand.

>> No.4858873

>>4858715
This is like saying that because we can listen to pretty much any music or watch hundreds of documentaries, it doesn't matter we didn't experience the first Woodstock festival, or watched the man arriving to the Moon. The thing is not only to be able to play the games, but to live through certain social times where those things were developing and the continuous surprises and optimism it generated.

Yes, it's great to have such a huge amount of games to play now, but it's even better to have been experienced growing up, the developing of videogames from monochrome displays to High Res 3D. Life experiences are really more important.

>> No.4858884
File: 313 KB, 1024x477, 8225016931_31322ea202_b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853196

The biggest difference between back in the day and now is; companies back then actually innovated. Also the measure of how good a game was, was how much fun you had playing it. How deep the gameplay was actually mattered.

Psychopathic corporations like SONY completely ruined gaming. They made their struggle YOUR struggle. So all of a sudden the measure how good a game is, is sales figures.
And as a Playstation owner you better behave like the retarded fanboy they know you are.

It only will get worse in the future when you don't own the games anymore that you purchased.

At some point the gaming industry has realized how stupid videogame consumers actually are. So they keep pushing the envelop and see with how much utter crap they can get away with.

Vote with your fucking wallet if you want this hobby to be worthwhile again.

>> No.4858898

>>4858873
>watched the man arriving to the Moon
Everyone who did that in 1969 watched it on a TV.
>Woodstock festival
That's different because you could do things there that you couldn't do by watching footage of it.
When it comes to the moon landing or video games, what we have today is the same thing except higher quality and more readily accessible.

>> No.4858978

>his first console was not the ps1
as a fellow faggot born from 1999 i am ashamed of you

>> No.4858998

I was born in 1981. My parents bought both the NES and the SNES right after each one was released, and they would also buy a decent amount of games. But I played a lot of games from renting them. Going to rental store and picking out a game to play was a big deal and a highlight.

I was much more willing to give a game a chance. A game like Milon's Secret Castle or even Deadly Towers, I wouldn't consider bad, just weird. But if you watch anyone play those games in a modern context on youtube, they just talk about how bad it is and play it up for laughs. If I rented those games I would play them for hours and take them seriously.

I was much better at games. I beat castlevania 1, 3 and megaman 1-6, I don't think I could do that today.

I played 'classic' games when they were new, like Chrono Trigger and FF6, and had a sense of optimism about the future. I thought that games would only get better and better (didn't seem to be the case).

I was a bit burned out on gaming at age 18. OOT did not impress me and I didn't even finish it. Was not a big fan of N64 except Mario.

>> No.4859005

>>4853323
But memes are better anon

>> No.4859016
File: 76 KB, 809x1024, 10ADF91A-4FA0-494D-AC01-08E57826B39E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853582
he said it existed just wasn’t popular you fucking sperg

>> No.4859018

When we had a big party for my friend and he got Mortal Kombat (the first one) as his only present. We stayed up all night and finally beat it as the sun began to rise.

The look of horror on our faces when Scorpion's spear did nothing to Goro the first time we reached him.

>> No.4859021

>>4858598
No.

FF7 and Total Annihilation will never get old.

>> No.4859031

>>4859021
I can't get through FF7 anymore. The minigames and slow pace kills it for me. I always wind up getting distracted and playing some other game. I made it through FF9 a year or two ago only by forcing myself to complete it and 7 is only a bit better.

>> No.4859061

>>4858998
>I was much better at games. I beat castlevania 1, 3 and megaman 1-6, I don't think I could do that today.
You might be surprised. I think if you started with Mega Man 2 (which is relatively easy compared to the others) you'd find that many of the lost skills would come back pretty quickly.

>> No.4859062
File: 18 KB, 200x213, Jack.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4853209
>t. underage born after 2000
Just the fact your game was openly "adult stuff" and not even aiming for kids was enough to stirr up a massive shitstorm in the 90s.

>> No.4859063

>>4859016
>GameFAQ
>Not popular
Shit son, I wonder how it happens all the 90s games have their FAQs from there written before even internet became "mainstream", but guess you are another cunt too young to remember.

>> No.4859071

>>4859063
yeah right tell that to my great granddaughter who just threw me my 103rd birthday party at the bingo hall you stupid young fuck

>> No.4859134

>>4858715
Overabundance of anything spoils us. In order to truely appreciate how delicious a steak is you have to be a little bit hungry. If you just ate a steak and are served another one you might like it a little less. By the third steak you'll start to dislike it. And if someone continues to force feed steak after the third or fourth or fifth you might start to get sick just at the sight of another steak.

This is why in the West we have the most depressed people despite being the most resource rich region in the world. We live a life better than kings lived 200 years ago, we can travel anywhere, have so much food that we waste it, water, entertainment. Instant gratification everywhere. But we are unable to truely appreciate these things. Back in the day you went to the comics books store or the game store and were allowed to pick one, which you did and cherished for at least a month. Those memories and that experience remain with you forever. Nowadays you can get anything you want on the internet but it doesn't feel the same. Like a spoilt brat. True happiness comes after you are able to accept simplicity and even sadness and put limits on and resist over indulgence.

>> No.4859146

>>4853196
The advancement to 3D graphics was a HUGE fucking deal. Literal game changer. I remember the hype surrounding Super Mario 64 being massive.

>> No.4859148

>>4859146
I wonder why gaming began the way it did, with sprites and pixel art. Couldn't they do 3D back then? Because nowadays lazy devs settle for 3D because 2D sprites actually take hard work, effort and skill.

>> No.4859156

>>4853296

They're all a bunch of insecure sweaty white guys. Ignore them.

>> No.4859160

>>4859148
The hardware wasn't fast enough to support doing 3d math in realtime.

>> No.4859201

>>4859062
Shitstorms were raised on the outside. You had fans of videogames vs one crusading lawyer who wound up disbarred for being an unmitigated asshole. You might have had fans of videogames vs scaremongering local news affiliates. Gamers vs Christians had mostly died out by the mid-90s.

And even then, Christians might flip out on talk radio about some game with occult symbolism, and certainly it's obvious that Nintendo were scared enough of that kind of backlash to censor games (such as "holy" into "white" in FF4) through the mid-90s. But PC games didn't give a shit and more importantly, Christians never successfully got Bible narratives or tropes into games in a way that was impossible to criticize without starting a god damned shitstorm. You never had a studio named, say, Beamlord, inserting ham-fisted, setting-inappropriate christian pandering into the dialog responding to critics by calling them "heretics," which was actually a meaningful insult and also subsequently memed by the mainstream gaming press.

SJWs are buttsucking hypocrites and trolls who do exactly that. At least Christians are usually up-front about their values and at least try to value honesty and integrity while pushing for what they want. SJWs are filthy liars with no integrity, perspective, sincerity or usually even any consistent set of principles beyond "whatever feels right to me in the moment and will get me the attention I crave".

>> No.4859206

>>4859201

AHAHAHA

No, it was the exact same shit.

And it was not dead by the 90s, Hot Coffee and the Oblivion boobs things are perfect examples of puritan Christian bullshit being stuffed in everyone's faces in a manner that causes real problems.

>> No.4859213

>>4855519
Found the 3rd world poor fag

>> No.4859248

>>4859206
>Hot Coffee
>2004
>what was gaming like during the 90's?
During the 90s I don't think anyone cared about or even particularly wanted sex scenes in videogames. And games like Leisure Suit Larry had been around for years, but were upfront about their sexual content and were always rated appropriately. The Hot Coffee controversy only had legs because the game was sold as one thing but then was discovered to have this sex minigame that felt like porn and didn't seem like it was supposed to be there. It was a ridiculous shitstorm to be sure, but it's not the same as western games making all female characters actively repulsive because SJWs bitch that beautiful women set unrealistic standards. It's not the same as remaking Baldur's Gate and writing Minsc to take sides on Gamergate.

>> No.4859282

>>4859248

No shit, Sherlock, Christian faggotry was still shitting on games past the 90s, your supposed end point. You're wrong.

>During the 90s I don't think anyone cared about or even particularly wanted sex scenes in videogames.
Do not talk about things you know nothing about, the ESRB was created because Joe Lieberman went in front of Congress and made up a bunch of bullshit about Mortal Kombat and Night Trap, saying Night Trap was a sexual explicit game.

Things are the same as today.

>> No.4859290

>>4859282
>Things are the same as today.
Jesus fuck you are retarded. You still have not answered any of the points about SJWs inserting shit into games.

>> No.4859293

>>4859290

Because I don't have to, you're wrong on the onset and haven't proven anything except that you're a fag.

Here's how it actually works: justify with fact any of the things you've said. You haven't, you're just posting bullshit like this:
>SJWs are buttsucking hypocrites and trolls who do exactly that. At least Christians are usually up-front about their values and at least try to value honesty and integrity while pushing for what they want. SJWs are filthy liars with no integrity, perspective, sincerity or usually even any consistent set of principles beyond "whatever feels right to me in the moment and will get me the attention I crave".
This is not an argument, this unsubstantiated /pol/ and /r9k/ faggotry.

>> No.4859312

Anyone who is STILL unironically using the term "SJW" deserves a kick in the balls.
Please stop already, this episode of "sheltered americans who grew up with video games discover politics and realise normie liberalism is flawed" has been going on for years, and it certainly isn't growing on the rest of us. I truly hope we can move past it at some point as a community and not mention it in every fucking thread.

>> No.4859330

>>4859293
>Here's how it actually works
read below, dickhead.
>>4859312
>we can move past it
the only WE that needs to get fucking past it are incredibly dense and retarded american MORONS that just won't shut the fuck up about it. NOBODY CARES. it's only ameritards that make the most noise about it. stop trying to shove this shit in front of people's faces, the rest of the world DOES NOT GIVE A FUCK. this is a fucking retro video games board, not fucking pol.

>> No.4859347

>>4859330
>read below, dickhead.
No, go back and justify your stupid claim. Nobody cares about your special pleading. Puritan Christian values being shoved in everyone's faces is exactly the same bullshit as SJW stuff and things haven't changed. You're too young/naive to have noticed, that's all.

>> No.4859349

>>4853196
New games were still like whoa dude God damn
Everything was awesome

>> No.4859353
File: 26 KB, 458x637, 2018-06-14_23h13_50.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Older games didn't have transexuals charac-

>> No.4859361
File: 83 KB, 1475x916, youdumbfuck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4859347
HEY MORON, THAT'S NOT ME.
TAKE YOUR POLITICAL FAGGOTRY BACK TO /POL/.

>> No.4859374

>>4859361

I'm not being any more political than you, I'm telling the /pol/ to fuck off. You want to scream about that then tell it to the right people.

>> No.4859408
File: 518 KB, 720x1200, 16F83C5A-4C62-4087-961D-6E232B4E1982.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4859353
it was played for laughs back then