[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 87 KB, 953x953, deus_ex_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8059787 No.8059787 [Reply] [Original]

Do I use any mods for this game like I did for VTMB? I know there's revision, I at least want widescreen support

>> No.8059805

>>8059787
kenties Deus EXE + updated renderer
kentie.net/indices/1.htm
first 2 links have what you need

>> No.8059812

>>8059787
I'd recommend gmdx, makes a couple boneheaded balancing decisions but the improvements override the downsides.

>> No.8059829

If it's your first playthrough, no. Play the GOTY edition.

If you want to replay it, then you can add mods.

>> No.8059838

>>8059812
>I'd recommend gmdx
he's asking about deus ex. not entirely different games that pretend to be deus ex.

>> No.8059842

>>8059805
This is just widescreen support without completely overhauling like Revision?

>> No.8059889

>>8059787
Widescreen without cutscene fixes for widescreen is one giant joke. High resolution with a 20 year old engine is a joke no matter which textures and models you shove into it. Get bug fixes and modern rendering libraries (or just use software), and run it in 1024×768.

>> No.8059895

>>8059842
>Deus Exe is a replacement executable for Deus Ex. It's compatible with the GOTY edition of the game, which includes the Steam version. It fixes various issues running on modern computers, helps you configure the game, and includes a mod manager.
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm

>> No.8060005

>>8059838
then why is he asking about Revision?

>> No.8060464

>>8059842
yes

>> No.8060531

>>8059787
Deus EXE (Kenties Launcher) + a renderer that works best on your system
I had to go online to find a good updated renderer with the least amount of bugs

>> No.8060616

Unlike VtMB, Deus Ex doesn't need to be modded just to avoid bugs. You play stuff like GMDX after you've already beaten the vanilla game.

>> No.8060787
File: 22 KB, 288x384, tronGUY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8059787
GMDX is designed to improve Deus Ex in every conceivable way (and since the plot and soundtrack are already perfect, they haven't been touched). While there are some new features and changes, they are designed with all types of players in mind, from those who have never played anything like it to veterans of the game and its ilk (Thief, System Shock 2, etc).

If anything, the revamped mechanics of GMDX are more intuitive than vanilla DX. As a quick example, headshots with tranquilizer darts are now instant takedowns, as is the standard for nearly every other stealth game that features them. You can also climb onto ledges, so moving in the game world is a lot smoother. Some augmentations are now passive, so you needn't press one of 10 function keys to activate super strength, for instance. You automatically equip lockpicks when interacting with a locked door. The list goes on, and while none of the depth is sacrificed (a significant amount is actually added), the game has never played better.

>> No.8060795

>>8060787
> are more intuitive than vanilla DX
dumbing down
>headshots with tranquilizer darts are now instant takedowns, as is the standard for nearly every other stealth game that features them.
homogenization
not reading the rest of your post.

>> No.8060815

>>8059787
The gunplay might turn you off until you can upgrade it to be better but you WILL get used to it. Otherwise if it's just too much for you that's all I'd recommend modding.

Played/beat it for the first time ever recently and it holds up extremely well. In fact I found myself often surprised at the game for things it did all the way back then and thought how amazing it would be if I played it at the time it came out.

>> No.8061002
File: 330 KB, 432x454, 1625170431669.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sort of cringe but his gameplay advice is super solid and he'll walk you through kenties launcher and restoring the classic lighting engine.

https://youtu.be/tKSo23fy-wM

>> No.8061918

>>8059842
Without that patch Deus Ex is way to dark. I played through all the way to hong kong thinking the game was just unusually dark (to the point where you have to use your light 95% of the time and sometimes it still being too dark to see). I wish I had looked up the issue earlier.

>> No.8062007

>>8061002
I don't know why he thinks you need to invest in low tech to KO with the baton

>> No.8062434

>>8059787
No. I just played it as-is but with kentie's launcher aka deusexe and I find myself regularly wondering "Damn is this really the original graphics, it looks so good just here".
Revision is for people who already played through.

>> No.8062442

>>8060787
>As a quick example, headshots with tranquilizer darts are now instant takedowns,
Yes, that is a very good example! of hdtexturepack kids not understanding fucking shit about
>the original game
>the real world
>how games in general should work

Fuck that kind of shit, it's the same dunning kruger shit as the retard who patched one bug out of dune2 but couldn't help from changing the game so that structures don't ever degrade when build on concrete slabs - because he thought that shouldn't be like that. It's fucking Arrakis you 12 year old faggot it's supposed to be otherworldly harsh

>> No.8062446

>>8062442
i mean how fucking stupid to give people an instant long-distance takedown button when the entire point of that weapon is it's balanced by taking time to act

>> No.8062453

>>8059889
Software was debug tier, 2fps running shit in its day for Deus Ex. It was not at all how it was meant to look or be played. Shut your dumb fucking mouth.

>> No.8062454

I played for the first time last year without mods and thought the game was phenomenal. No mods are necessary for your enjoyment.

>>8060787
>headshots with tranquilizer darts are now instant takedowns, as is the standard for nearly every other stealth game that features them.
This would massively fuck up the difficulty balance of the game. Tranqs arent meant to be instant kos like in other games.

>You can also climb onto ledges, so moving in the game world is a lot smoother.
This fucks up intentional level design navigation. I’m not against sequence breaks but adding in skips in a mod is just weird. I get wanting more immersion, but this completely changes how you would interact with a level.

>Some augmentations are now passive, so you needn't press one of 10 function keys to activate super strength, for instance.
Those are meant to be a limited resource. Making them permanent and passive is ridiculous. You completely and utterly trivialize the game with this.

>You automatically equip lockpicks when interacting with a locked door
Lock picks are a limited resource, why the fuck would you do this?! I’ll check if it’s locked and decide for myself how/if I want to spend resources.

This is so baffling to me I honestly wonder if it’s a troll copy pasta. Nobody should play their first time with this shit on.

OP, if you want to play with widescreen more power to you and I hope you can find a mod that does that well. But for your own sake please do not play with any of this other crap.

>> No.8062517
File: 47 KB, 183x184, 1602996711796.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8059787
Deus KEX when?

>> No.8062801

>>8062517
Hopefully never.

>> No.8062891 [DELETED] 

>>8062454
>This would massively fuck up the difficulty balance of the game. Tranqs arent meant to be instant kos like in other games.
He oversells it and you're forgetting the fact that you need to arc the shots skillfully to get that headshot. The one hit ko also only applies to level 1 tier nsf, you need to upgrade pistols quite a bit to get other guards down and it never really applies to gmen. It's no more overpowered than an upgraded pistol in vanilla.

>but this completely changes how you would interact with a level.
The first game severely punished players for choosing silent run over athletics to the point where it was effectively the wrong choice, way too much of the game's content was locked behind the bare minimum jumps you could only make with that skill. Allowing the player to access some locked content with mantling makes silentrun a viable choice, still plenty of instances where an upgraded athletics skill would be handy.

>Some augmentations are now passive, so you needn't press one of 10 function keys to activate super strength, for instance.
>You automatically equip lockpicks when interacting with a locked door
These are effectively none issues. The new passive traits are rebalanced in such a way that they aren't overpowered, strength for instance still drains bioenergy, it's just qol change by having it activate automatically. You can still choose whether or not you use lockpicks on a door, it just pops up as an optional prompt.

>> No.8064952

Only Deus Exe, das it