[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-05-12: Maintenance has concluded successfully. 2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled.
2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 133 KB, 472x590, q.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8906760 No.8906760 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Can we have an RE clone thread? What are your favorite ones?

>inb4 RE is clone of AITD

>> No.8906763

I have played almost every "RE clone" out there and I can say there is a no "hidden gem", they all range from from bad to decent-at-best.

The only really good RE clones are the two most famous ones, Dino Crisis and Silent Hill.

>> No.8906765

>>8906763
Dino Crisis 2*

>> No.8906768

>>8906763
>>8906763
this but for nearly every genre and console

>> No.8906770

>>8906765
I don't really count pure action non-survival horror as "RE clones"; although I indeed found more fun in action games such as Dino Crisis 2, Parasite Eve 2, Onimusha or even Vampire Hunter D; than I did in pure survival horror RE clones.

With that said, Dino Crisis 2 shits the bed in the second half of the game. They had this kick ass gameplay and then spend half the game with shitty gimmicky mini games.

>> No.8906779

Perfect Weapon.

>> No.8906809

>>8906770
Ehhh I kinda disagree. I appreciate the mini games, it was original at the time before the turret sections were a thing. Plus the second half still adds new enemies, new gameplay mechanics (mine launcher or whatever its called), that short escort mission near the end. I respect your opinion though and understand why you think that.

>> No.8906819
File: 203 KB, 400x800, confused stare.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8906819

>>8906760
>AitD
>RE clone
Do zoomers really?

>> No.8906832

>>8906819
The one in OPs picture most certainly is a RE clone. The earlier ones obviously aren't.

>> No.8906848

>>8906760
alone in the dark created the genre so if anything RE is an alone in the dark clone

I never understood why RE got so big and people think it created the genre
I think it's because zoomers and console kids ignore computers and it was just before their time

>> No.8906859

>>8906848
Maybe because RE1 was so much more polished and better designed than any AITD game before, or after it for that matter

>> No.8907051

>>8906848
also i believe Resident Evil was the one that coined the term "survival horror" in its marketing

>> No.8907053

>>8906848
>people think it created the genre


Because it did, it wasn't a "genre" before Resident Evil, AitD wasn't a "survival horror" game it was an "action-adventure" game

>> No.8907061

>>8906770
>non-survival horror
PE2 and DC2 are more survival horror than the first games

>> No.8907072

admittedly a lot of the RE clones back in the day really aren't that great. i find enjoyment in them but none of them ever came close to even my least favorite classic RE entries imo, aside from some of the aforementioned like Dino Crisis 2 and Silent Hill and such. i recently played Carrier to completion and enjoyed it despite its jankiness, and also quite enjoyed D2 but that feels like its pushing it a bit beyond hat would be considered an RE clone.
there's a couple of untranslated/hard to find ones that i'm interested in trying out some day though like "Yami Fuku Natsu: Teito Monogatari Futatabi" and the Korean game "Geisters". probably my actual favorite RE clones now are from the recent indie game survival horror resurgence like Tormented Souls.

>> No.8907083

>>8906760
Extermination
Primal
Galerians
hard edge

I am sure that the list go on

>> No.8907105
File: 118 KB, 1000x992, ps1Countdown Vampires.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8907105

>>8906760

>> No.8907271

>>8907083
>Primal
>RE clone
nigger what

>> No.8907281 [DELETED] 

I can't believe no one's said Cold Fear yet. It's the best you're gonna find. Now to be specific, Cold Fear is an RE4 clone, but to be even more specific, it's detabatle whether it is a clone because it actually predates RE4, but it's possible that it's still a clone based on RE4 trailers coming out at the time

There's also another RE clone that I love, but I'm not gonna say what it is because I want it to stay obscure. and not be ruined by morons and youtubers

>> No.8907286

I can't believe no one's said Cold Fear yet. It's one of the best you're gonna find. Now to be specific, Cold Fear is an RE4 clone, but to be even more specific, it's detabatable whether it is a clone because it actually predates RE4, but it's possible that it's still a clone, based on RE4 trailers coming out at the time

There's also another RE clone that I love, but I'm not gonna say what it is because I want it to stay obscure. and not be ruined by morons and youtubers

>> No.8907290

Also, for anyone thinking about playing AitD4, I suggest only playing like half of it. That game drops off big time. The best part is easily the first few hours, and then it just gets worse and worse

>> No.8907349
File: 130 KB, 800x802, martian gothic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8907349

>>8906760
Tried playing it for Halloween last year and it was really scuffed.

>> No.8907386

>>8907286
>Cold Fear is an RE4 clone

Fun fact: Cold Fear was being developped at the same time as RE4. So was AitD (5).
All 3 games came up with the behind the shoulder camera more or less at the same time

The action orientation and camera point of view of RE4 were just natural evolution for the time.

>> No.8907389

>>8907386
good job saying the same thing I said, except with more assumptions. You don't actually know what went down at Ubisoft, so you don't know whether they were inspired by RE4. End of story

>> No.8907390

>>8907389
>You don't actually know what went down at Ubisoft, so you don't know whether they were inspired by RE4. End of story

They claim they weren't at least and had the action and camera before RE4's was known

>> No.8907395

>>8907390
people in the industry know about games before the public does. There's simply no way to know

>> No.8907402

>>8907290
That's unfortunately true yeah. Both characters have pretty underwhelming boss fights and finales, which is a shame since the mansion setting was genuinely great with some great spooks and atmosphere.

>> No.8907454

>>8907286
>I'm not gonna say what it is
D I, F

>> No.8907459

>>8907395
So you'd rather believe it's possible that Capcom would let competitors literally living on the opposite of the world know about their biggest upcoming blockbuster before anyone else, than believe what the devs say.

And then say I'm the one making assumptions.

>> No.8907468

>>8907459
Capcom literally got hacked and leaked all their games like 2 years ago lmao
Just stfu dude

>> No.8907703

>>8907395
No they don't. If they do that's called corporate espionage and it's illegal.

>> No.8907706

>>8907459
The dude is just delusional or coping.

>> No.8908237

>>8907703
lmao. you're an idiot

>> No.8908247

>>8907703
Corporate espionage needs intent. If one of your friends who works for the rival company tells you about it while he's drunk, it doesn't count.

>> No.8908351

>>8907468
Wow yea you are right this leaks from 2 years ago must have given the tips to the devs to make cold fear like re4 why didnt i think of this.

>> No.8908359

>>8906760
I find every enemy is annoying in this game

>> No.8908393

>>8906763
>Silent Hill is a RE clone
shit like saying a game is a clone is what made many people skip over absolute classics like Silent Hill when it was current

>> No.8909179

>>8908351
are you retarded?

>> No.8909395

>>8909179
i might be or your argument is just dumb.
prove a leak like that happened in the early 2000s

>> No.8909771
File: 190 KB, 256x335, Project_Firestart_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8909771

>>8906848
No it didn't.

>> No.8909817

>>8906760
Luigiā€™s Mansion

>> No.8910369

>>8909395
>You have no way to know
no seriously, are you retarded?

>> No.8911191

>>8906760
I recently played the two Obscure games. They're charming and I enjoyed playing them for the most part, but they're certainly flawed.
They definitely handled the two character gimmick better than RE0.

>> No.8911226
File: 52 KB, 700x500, run.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8911226

>>8909771
*blocks your path*

>> No.8911235

>>8909771
havent heard of this before but the pixel art is gorgeous, i really like the c64 palette

>> No.8911280

>>8906760

>> No.8911296

>>8906760
Parasite Eve 2 was always my fave
Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn is also a pretty fun political action thriller set on a train
(its basically under siege 2, but good)

>> No.8911359
File: 46 KB, 1000x746, 3D-Monster-Maze.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8911359

>>8909771
nice try champ

>> No.8911559

>>8907061
The first PE is not a survival horror game at all, so you are correct by saying PE2 is more survival horror than PE1. However, DC1 is survival horror taken to the extreme, and I cant fathom how one would think DC2 is more of a survival horror than DC1. Are you perhaps in your 20s?

>> No.8911585

>>8911559
Blahblahblahblahblah
*farts*

>> No.8912785

You all should play Galerians. It's far from kino, but pretty neat.
WARNING: Edge incoming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2dY9HCnFZ0

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action