[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 27 KB, 256x250, 1182C857-EB22-4B95-979A-3D3BD6DEE9EA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9220230 No.9220230 [Reply] [Original]

Just started this game. The junction system intimidates me bros…

>> No.9220304

auto > STR

wow that was hard

>> No.9220661

>>9220230
Make sure your GFs are learning [stat]-J instead of other useless shit. Always keep one character with draw so you can check if a boss has a GF to draw.

>> No.9220878

Stat-j are good ones to go for first, but don’t neglect refine abilities too. You can turn items that drop from enemies and cards into magic. Besides GFs from some bosses, you’ll never need to draw magic.
Make sure to check every boss for GFs though, you can get them from the final dungeon if you miss them the first time, but you’re really better off getting them when you’re supposed to. Just draw whenever you see ???? and you’ll be fine.

>> No.9220978

>>9220230
Attach spells to stats. Have fun.

>> No.9220981

It's incredibly easy. Just junction the fucking spells and git good stats.

>> No.9220989

Meh, junctioning and drawing is pretty simple once you get the habg of it.

Just don't fall into the trap of trying to 100% this game. There are way too many missable things, so you basically have to play with a guide continuously in order not to miss any stuff.

>> No.9220994

>>9220230
once you figure it out the game becomes very easy

>> No.9221018

Learn Ice Magic refine with Shiva as #1 and farm 15 fish fin from the beach outside BG and refine 300 water and junction to party str/mag to break the game if you want to steam roll as early as possible.

I've finished VIII probably 20+ times since 99 and it's the best game ever. The patrician way to play is Squall and Rinoa with Quistis/Selphie support depending on whose limit break you feel like using for that play through. Make sure you unequip Mug for disc 2 final boss so you can loot item for Rinoa's ultimate weapon.

Status magic is a lot of fun. Junction Death to Squall status attack (outside of boss fights) and steam roll. I find junctioning Zombie to Rinoa/Quistis/Selphie status attack and then a Life cast to be more reliable though.

With two casters you're going to want to have Quistis/Selphie cast Cerberus for 2x and 3x casting. I call it spellweaving.

Mug lots of monsters and play lots of cards and you will refine 99% of your magic. Pick up Seifer, Zell, Quistis and Diablos cards before leaving for Timber (Diablos is prereq for the player cards). Lose your Ifrit card to General Caraway and then before you infiltrate the missile base drive over to Deling city and challenge Caraway as Selphie and win the Rinoa card. Tons of other cards to get though if you want to be thorough.

Refine magic and have fun controlling the numerical value of each stat. I think it's a genius system, but very easily broken.

>> No.9221057

>>9220230
Are you playing original or remake anon?

>> No.9221060

I want to play this but I hate random battles. It's directly against exploring.

I'm tempted to play with cheats so I can turn off random battles and look for secrets

>> No.9221064

>>9221060
Diablos Enc-None

>> No.9221068

>>9220230
its supposed to be fun
you're ment to fiddle with it and experiment

dont cheat and break the game looking online

>> No.9221069

>>9220989
Now that I think about it ff8 does have a wild amount of side stuff. All with pretty cool rewards. 100% of this game would be insane.

>> No.9221071

>>9221060
>I want to play Gran Turismo but I hate braking
>I want to play Donkey Kong Country but I hate jumping
>I want to play Monkey Island but I hate the pointing and clicking
Why are you like this?

>> No.9221073

>>9221060
The remake is not bad and you can turn off encounters.

>> No.9221087

>>9221071
Nobody said that.
A more accurate example would be
>I want to play Gran Turismo but I don't want to do license tests.
Why are you like that?

>> No.9221093

>>9221073
What do you mean? Ff8 remake doesn't appear to be out yet

>> No.9221128

>>9221087
>>I want to play Gran Turismo but I don't want to do license tests.
Except license tests are something only common to gran turismo games and not racers as a whole, but random battles are awfully present in JRPGs.

>> No.9221158

>>9221093
Oh. I guess it depends what platform you play on. The original gets you diablo pretty quick though. Only farm AP on the beach anon and you will be good. Make sure to pick the abilities you want your gf's to learn. Outside of that, learn card. That way you can avoid exp early on. Ff8 is actually Pokemon not ff. Catch them all.

>> No.9221515

>>9221158
Can you elaborate on the card bit? Why would that allow me to disregard xp?

>> No.9221532

>anon starts ff8 thread, about to play it for the first time
>receives terrible advice meant to break the game instantly
every single damn time

>> No.9221579

>>9220230
there is a lot of missable shit. get comfortable with that.

>> No.9221589

>>9220230
Use auto junction and breeze through.
Unless you intend to fight lots of optional bosses and such, it it's as dire to master junctioning as you might think.

>> No.9221772

>>9221515
some people autistically spam the card command on every random encounter because the enemies scale with your level, but it only scales in like 20 level increments and a lv100 bite bug is still just a bite bug so it's really doesn't matter
just don't waste time grinding levels
>>9221532
I get the feeling a lot of people follow the game breaking guide and then run straight from plot point to plot point and miss out on half the shit in the game

>> No.9221817

>>9220230
>don't level
>draw all the magic
>it's now a visual novel without any real choices

>> No.9221897

>>9220230
heres my tips.
1. set cursor from initial to memory.
2. battle draw
3. draw again
4. draw 100 times
5. draw 10,000 times
6. draw forever
7. level gf attach magic
8. attach 1,000,000 magics
9. draw

>> No.9221907

>>9220230
I was able to figure it out as an 8 year old.
You'll be fine.

>> No.9222142

>>9220989
>>9221069
The best/worst part is that most of the rewards can be obtained via the CC Quest, rendering many other sidequests redundant in terms of raw rewards.

>>9221772
Yeah, being high level only screws you over against scaled enemies IF your junctions are completely shit. I knew a guy back in high school who grinded Squall and Quistis to Lv100 before even going to the Fire Cavern, and the game kicked his ass pretty hard by Disc 2.

>> No.9222145

>>9222142
>I knew a guy back in high school who grinded Squall and Quistis to Lv100 before even going to the Fire Cavern
What the fuck, how long would this take? Was he autistic?

>> No.9222158

>>9220230
you can just draw a bit every battle as you go along by the time you get to the end battle of the first disc you'll easily have 100 of each element and more.
Then equip that to strength and limit break.
Then when you can get stuff like ultima get 100 of that and upgrade to it

>> No.9222191

>>9220230
u just want to start unlocking all the stat junctions from all th eGFs

>> No.9222212

>>9222191
also unlock all the refine abilites that let you turn items/cards into magic and get your magic that way instead of drawing from random encounters
draw is good for bosses though cause you're gonna need it to get the GFs and some bosses have good spells to draw that you can't refine until later in the game

>> No.9222246

>>9220230
Never liked Final Fantasy, but I just gotta say I fervently wish I could pork Quistis's shitter.

>> No.9222272
File: 253 KB, 1259x900, ztnl4rbapui61.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9222246
teir 1 waifus: quistis and stephie

>> No.9222275

>>9220230
It's not necessary to do this, but if you junction 99 lightning spells to Squall's attack you'll absolutely annihilate the SeeD test at the start of the game.

>> No.9222398

>>9222145
To be honest, probably not that long, due to how level/EXP scaling in 8 works. Maybe he got lucky and figured out you could spam Renzokuken to cheese T-Rexaurs in that forest.
And probably. Apparently he did something similar in FF7.

>> No.9222539
File: 16 KB, 321x201, falled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9221087
License tests are just a tutorial. Random battles is 75%+ of all gameplay

Sorry, you falled

>> No.9222543

Sorceresses are EVIL!

>> No.9222565

>>9222539
>didn’t play FFVIII
>didn’t realize you can get encounter-none 2 hours into the game
>didn’t realize enemies scale with your level, so you’re literally never under leveled
>didn’t realize you can refine cards into materials needed for optional better gear, so you’re never undergeared from skipping battles

>> No.9222569

>>9220230
It's not that bad. Just do it little at a time. You can check tutorials in game and also the auto junction function to give you pointers.

Don't listen to anyone else, although it's probably too late. You don't need to grind 100 of every magic for everyone. The game balance NEVER demands of you to do that. It'd be like saying in FF7, you get Materia and you have to max it out as soon as you can get it. Only turbo autists on the level of FAQ writers do that shit.

You can get magic by drawing from enemies, from souces all around the world, and by turning items into magic. You can also turn cards into items which in turn you can turn into magic. Make sure to have your GF learn those refining skills ASAP and then you can do a bit of everything and you'll be fine.

When you switch characters in your party, there is a function to transfer all junctions/magics so you don't need to support more than 3 setups.

The whole "leveling up is counter productive" thing is completely false and only spread by retards who don't look at the big picture. Leveling up offers MANY advantages: drawing better and more magic per turn more easily (remember when you're lvl 8 and you draw 1-3 magic per turn if anything at all? Yeaah...), getting more and better item drops, raw stat boosts, etc that's without mentionning the fact that the monster scaling isn't truly proportional to YOUR level, for the most part there are only 3 level variants that matter.

>> No.9222579

>>9222565
You just picked on the wrong guy. I probably know more about FF8 than anyone else ITT. I have easily clocked more than 1K hours into the game in my life, I did a no lvl-up run at the age of 13, using only knowledge I had acquired by myself as at the time the no lvl-up run was not a trendy knowledge and there was no guide on how to do it, while most of everyone else is just repeating shit they read here and there, including things that are false or overstated like how "lvling up punishes you".

Enc-non "2 hours into the game" is an understatement, on a first play it's easily triple that unless you're speedrunning. As for not being weak when avoiding all encounters and turning cards into magic, I have done that, and it takes countless hours just to be on the same level of strength you'd be just playing the game normally; without mentionning that you'd still need sources of AP just to get the refining skills.

The right way to play the game is just to do a bit of everything. use enc-non when you're in a bind or backtracking

>> No.9222770

>>9221069
Unless you're maxing out stats, 100% is not difficult. I still have a notebook with a ton of shit I wrote during summer vacations for an online FAQ at GameFAQs boards. Fun stuff. Final Fantasy VIII is genuinely worth it if you enjoy it. Grinding for best stats (no LVL up until you get bonus abilities) is a bit boring though.

>> No.9222778

>>9221515
Using Card on common enemies nets you 0 XP. Bosses don't give any. That way you can leave party with original LVs for best stat when you finally get those abilities on disc 2/3 from GFs for the whole team. If you want best spells from drawing you can use Tonberry's ability to level up enemies during battle (Ruby Dragon for Flare, e.g)

>> No.9222782

>>9222398
FF7 is broken with Junon alarm trick. But that shit was easy to miss as fuck. Doubt anyone runs into it during their first playthrough.

>> No.9222784

>>9222579
Ever defeated X-ATM without leveling up? This is one of the things I NEVER did but I remember planning out and never putting it in motion.

>> No.9223061

>>9222784
I did, but by binding the rules of "not lvling up".

What I did was use Seifer, and exclusively Seifer. I killed the rest of the crew and leveled him up to 30 against grunts in that lone area in Dollet. This way, since Seifer quickly leaves the party never to come back, your cast remains at their original level. This allowed to draw tier 3 magic for everyone else, and then kill X-ATM and get the much needed AP to acquire the refining skills ASAP

You can do this trick again when Edea joins the party for a bit but at that point it's not really worth bothering with that much in comparison with the start of the game.

>> No.9223381

>>9222784
One time I went to the trouble of abolishing the random rule for TT literally everywhere, even the space station so the only way it could come back was to use the card queen

>> No.9223401

>>9223381
I did that too, good job.

I also had the Win: all rule in almost every region. Good times.
I actually didn't mind the random rule that much, if you're good at the game and good at keeping a decent deck you can still win most of the times.

>> No.9223532

>>9223061
Yeah, I considered that possibility but that killed a perfect run due to report stats showing party members as KO and that really messed with my autism. At the time, I figured high compability with SumMag30%+ could probably do the trick since you can get those abilities by using Draw before going to Dollet but that amounted to an insane amount of grinding so I never tested this out. I'm also not sure how I would have raised compability (since summoning could result in enemies killed) but I think there was some way I can't quite remember these days.

>>9223381
My first playthrough I spread all the rules (including Random and Plus) after Lunar Base trying to get Laguna's card. Fuck that bullshit.

>> No.9223630

>>9222784
I’ve done it. Get elem-atk-j and refine a bunch of thundagas from cards/magic level up. I didn’t realize you couldn’t kill it in the first encounter, so it wasted the whole time limit once while probably doing 50,000+ damage and wondering why it wouldn’t die. If you go for it, make sure to run the first time it tells you to. You should be able to kill him easily after you renter the battle.

>> No.9223691

>>9222784
Yes, but it is a pain in the ass. I thought it was cool that the cgi scene changes. I would have to go replay to remember exactly what I did. Elem atk of course strength junction as well. With zell you can spam if you set up his limit break, there are lots of things you can do. You get access to double from the boss right before if you pump selphies magic up for more casting. There are lots of ways to do it. I might see if I can kill it with magic stones next time. Might make a video idk

>> No.9223696

>>9223630
No. You're method is beyond flawed.

>> No.9223706

I’ve given VIII a couple tries, but I just never have fun with it.

>> No.9223725
File: 3.20 MB, 4000x3000, 16619840013306632027339682608020.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9223706
It is really for the autistic. Beating ultima weapon at level 17 is not the boner most anons desire. It is like reverse speed running. Pic very related.

>> No.9224415

I'm playing this game right now.
> DUMB QUESTION
the best strategy seems to be just summon the GF 9000 times every battle you cant otk mobs... is this really what you do? every t rex fight is like 5 minutes for me just because of the cut scenes.... equipping magic doesn't feel worth it and the basic attacks just mostly suck... feels like I'm doing something wrong but the GFs do like 1k damage whereas everything else is like 50-200 damage... I'm only on disc 2 so maybe it gets better?

>> No.9224434

>>9223706
>I’ve given VIII a couple tries, but I just never have fun with it.
aha same I want to like it. I like the setting and the characters and the changes to battle are neat... but its too big of a departure from the main series for me.

>> No.9224454

>>9224415
If all you do is summon GFs you'll get locked at the start of disc 4

>> No.9224472

Is there a guide for retards who can't even remember what junctioning is? Asking for a friend.

>> No.9224496

>>9224472
Basically all magic in the game is extracted from mobs. Your summons also level up as you level up. They have to be equipped like armor. In 7 you can attach materia to your weapons to make them stronger or give them effects. In 8 leveling your GF summons gives you the ability to attach your extracted magic to your stats like hp atk def ext. also you can attack effect magics to your attacks blind or silence or to defense to defend against it. Or just junk like elemental attacks. But my battles take a million years and a million shiva summons so what do I know

>> No.9224749

>>9224415
I am not actively trying to break the game, am not using a guide and don't know it inside out. On my third playthrough in 20 years I am on disk 3 and have summoned each GF once. Just stop using them.

>> No.9224783

>>9224472
In the game characters don't learn any magic, you can only get by extracting from enemies or from cards (Quetzal GF).
The GFs have skills that enable to junction stats, these varies for each one, for example Ifrit has HP and attack and Shiva for attack and magic power only (I have no idea if this is right take it just as an example). A character with both GFs linked will have all the possible junctions, a character with one will have just the GF junctions. GF junctions are learned and expanded as with any other skill that increases their HP or do special effects (like the diablo one that removes encounters completely). There are items too that enable them.
Now imagine you only have two magics: fira and cura.
Junction allows you to put water/heal into hp or atk to get a boost, the more the amount, the more the increase up to max of 100. 100 water gives 10 atk 20 magic or 500 hp. 100 cura gives 7 atk, 15 magic or 2000 hp.
Defensive magic is generally better for defensive stats and offensive better for offense stats.
A magic can junction only to one attribute or stat, there are junctions that allows for status resistances or extra effects on attack too like poison or sleep
You can still use the junctioned magic on combat but it'll reduce the boost it gives obviously.

>> No.9225310

>>9224749
>have summoned each GF once. Just stop using them
honestly that sounds like a lot more fun. do you just use magic or attacks and items then? I don't even have magic equipped right now

>> No.9225317

>>9222579
based desu

>> No.9227102

>>9221018
Good post, deserves more answers

>> No.9227103

>>9222778
I don't get the point of minmaxing an already easy game

>> No.9227283

>>9220230
I remember playing as a kid and being very dumb and only knowing how to junction GFs so I could summon them, but absolutely nothing to stats.
Managed to just GF spam my way to the fight against Raijin & Fujin out front of Lunatic Pandora and got walled.

>> No.9227296

>>9221897
You can play this game without drawing a single spell, in fact it's arguably easier.

>> No.9227309

>>9224472
There's an in-game tutorial you can access through the menu

>> No.9229078

>>9222569
IIRC, Draw effectiveness scales off Mag stat, but I'm not sure if it's JUST Mag or Mag+Lv. But really, you only need Draw at the very beginning to get a bit of magic, then one person with it just in case a boss has a GF.
The real game breakers are refining items into magic, and the Meltdown+Aura+Limit combo.

>>9224415
Limit Breaks (especially Squall's and Zell's) are your main source of big damage, especially if you abuse the combo I mentioned above. To explain:
>Meltdown inflicts a status effect that reduces all defence to zero. There is no immunity for this status, so every boss is vulnerable.
>Aura lets you use Limit Breaks at any health level.
Also, when using Zell's Duel limit break, just go for the easy moves with simple inputs. Damage per hit is lower, but you can dish out more of them in the time given.

>> No.9229426

squall is actually the MOST relatable character in this story. people who hate on it complain he's too emo, but he's a teenager my dudes. not only that everyone else on his team is an idiot. zells a chicken wuss. his cool classmate became a cuck. irvine is a fucking baby. rinoa and quistis are crazy bitches. and stephie's a literal child.

>> No.9229427
File: 206 KB, 500x349, SquallWhatever.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9229426
...whatever

>> No.9229687

>>9229078
another silly thing you can do to game limits with squall is to always have him be blind, because he has 255% hit and will hit every time regardless but blind increases the chance of getting a limit break
still don't know what the devs were thinking allowing you to just spam triangle until you get a limit though lol, at least make it one chance per ATB bar

>> No.9229717

>>9220230
anyone got a steam (not remaster) save file right after you attack the city and escape with max points? I wanna replay this game but holy fuck i hate the beginning which is basically a tutorial

>> No.9230325

>>9220230
Junction offensive spells to offensive stats and curative spells to defensive stats. See what spells give you a higher number. A fucking down syndrome could figure this out

>> No.9230381

>>9229426
Yes this is true and I believe it was intentional. The game wants the player to identify as Squall (there is a reason why you can only give a name to him and Riona) and make him feel smart and superior, so he's surrounded by friends who are intentionaly worse than him.

It's not the only game that does this though. In Dragon Quest you often have (You), the Hero, and his party. FF8 just takes the concept one step beyond.

>> No.9230416

>>9229687
The limits in 8 are probably the most accessible and useful. The only downside is how inaccessible a lot of them are. You need some magazine for this move or you need to upgrade your weapon or refine ammo or something.

7 is fine but unlocking limits was unintuitive for me. You need to beat so many opponents to unlock the next limit level and you have to use the first limit so many times to unlock the second on each level. I don't think I even found any level 4 limits until my 3rd or 4th playthrough and I was probably on my 6th or 7th before I figured out you needed the previous ones unlocked to activate them. Getting Aeris godly limit only happened 20 years later on my 30th playthrough. It's helpful against that temple wall boss at least.

No-one likes the limits in 9. They always trigger at the worst times and they happen so rarely anyway not to mention that a bunch of them are useless. The meter goes down if you use fight. I wonder if that happens for all normal actions like using a potion.

Then there is the "I didn't even know they existed" tier like limit breaks in 6. I've played it a lot over the years and I've had it happen literally one time, against the guy who drops Offering. I still got a game over straight after it.

>> No.9230419

>>9230416
>Then there is the "I didn't even know they existed" tier like limit breaks in 6.

Indeed. I played that game maybe 8 times and I never knew until now.

Looking it up online I hate how all information uses the recent remasters as a base and for their screenshot. The actual game is erased from records. Fuck remasters and fuck the zoomies playing them.

>> No.9230424
File: 3.97 MB, 600x432, 1662211539608.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9222272
>no titty monsters

>> No.9230458

>>9222246
>>9222272
>Selphie
Best sex and most fun to hang with but extremely tiring to maintain as a GF

>Edea
Perfect housewife

>Riona
Fuck in the ass, cum on tits, never call back

>Quistis
Just a co-worked, wouldn't even think about it

>> No.9230517

>>9229426
They're all pretty much different teenager stereotypes.

>> No.9230527

Selphie’s hair is dumb.

>> No.9230934

The government doesn't want you to know this but FFVIII's game balance is busted in such a way that if you never level your characters you will have an easy time beating the entire game

>> No.9232063
File: 727 KB, 828x1087, E02A5FA0-E9C5-45F7-81EE-458DCB313BEC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9230527
how dare you! …but actually… I just googled stephie cosplays… it’s pretty wacky looking irl. in game she’s a cutie

>> No.9232079

>>9221018
>I've finished VIII probably 20+ times
sad, really

>> No.9232086
File: 140 KB, 1365x2048, 72999344_2854415491243942_4151143538635046912_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9232063
Selphie is sex. First waifu.

>> No.9232098

>>9229717
;_;

>> No.9232970

>>9220230
It's easy. Fire make strength go up. Fira make strength go up more. Cure make HP go up. Cura make HP go up more etc. It's a fairly simple system that looks a lot more intimidating than it is because all of FF8's UI feels like some sort of debug menu and the game makes you sit through a tutorial that also makes it seem a lot more complicated. Just dick around and you'll get a hang of it.

You can draw to get spells, you can also refine items and cards to get spells which is so much more efficient that it basically breaks the game. Different GFs have useful skills like Refine and all sorts of things so be sure to let them learn the useful ones. Some GFs have skills that let you junction to speed and strength, some only magic, etc.

You can go full min max and disable encounters to get around the level scaling and all sorts of crazy shit but it's unnecessary.

>> No.9233649

>>9232079
there's a lot of semi hidden content to see, I played through the game probably a dozen times in the few years after it was released and never saw all the unique shit in FH where you can just leave when controlling Irvine during the segment where you plan out the concert song
https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VIII/Update%2051/

>> No.9233680

>>9233649
also here's another silly thing
if you get into a battle on the exact step that you would get a SeeD payment, and then lose that battle, you'll get your paycheck on the game over screen

>> No.9233712
File: 355 KB, 1068x2124, Untitled-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>keep Squall critical
>hammer turn switch until he can do Renzokuken
>win

>> No.9235276

>>9233649
Yeah, you can backtrack a lot in Fisherman's Horizon and see a LOT of stuff. It's crazy how much stuff they put in the game without any hint of it. Zell's quest is also pretty obscure.

>> No.9235295

The most obscure thing in the game imo is the dumb monkey quest that ends with you searching for some random item in the plains north of Esthar. I wish I was making that up. Queen of cards in disc 4 is probably worse though as there is zero hint to her being there at all.

>> No.9235330

>>9233649
>>9235276
>>9235295
This is why I love this game so much, I played it so many times and every time I'd find something new. Everytime I thought, that's it, I knew all there is now. There can't possibly be more.
The thing about FF8, is that the game really expects the player to care and invest himself, both in story and gameplay.

>> No.9235354

>>9220989
I'd agree it has too much missable stuff. Part of the problem with it is you have to do things in a certain order during a Laguna dream sequence in disc 1 that unlocks a whole bunch of rare and good shit near the very end of the game. So if you fucked things up, it's just not reasonable to load up an old save and try again. Personally I'd just say use a guide for that part where you dream as Laguna and you're going through the Lunatic Pandora.

>> No.9235361

>>9235354
You're not supposed to see it all on a single playthrough, it's replay value.

The only thing I'd argue shouldn't be missable is all the scenes between Squall & Rinoa if you bring her with you when the Garden is drifting at sea.

>> No.9235383

>>9235361
I understand the concept of replay value, anon. But you're trivializing how hard it would be to successfully map out the pass/fail conditions for an area that you have to wait 50 hours to see the results from. You won't be able to figure it out on your own in two playthroughs, and a third playthrough probably won't be for another year or longer to when you get the itch to play again and you might not remember at the point.

>> No.9235413

>>9222142
>Yeah, being high level only screws you over against scaled enemies IF your junctions are completely shit.
Eh, not quite. One of my most ingrained memories regarding FF8 is progressing to fight the Ultima Weapon only to have my entire party one-shot by a Ruby Dragon. I'm fairly certain my junctions weren't perfect but I autistically refused to go below 100 of the high level spells unless they could be easily acquired again like Curaga and the basic elemental spells and I had shit like Aura, Ultima and Triple maxed out. I was of course a retarded kid(young teens are kids) who thought being higher level meant being stronger but FF8 is very unintuitive because the optimal way to play it goes against so much you've been taught by other games including within the FF series.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to level but objectively speaking your relative character power only goes down the more you do. The difference between a low level run with optimal junctions and a level 100 run with optimal junctions is ridiculous.

>> No.9235426

>>9235383
Actually I remember this very well, on my first playthrough I realized when getting there as Squall that it was the same place as Laguna had been, and then on my second playthrough I wondered if I could do something there that affects the section later on, it wasn't the first game to do something like that

>> No.9235436

>>9235426
Yeah you definitely should remember being there early in the game since it plays a big role in what happens to Kiros and Ward. But did remember the sequence you interacted with the three panels that might lead to a Power Generator? Or do you remember if you hit the red or blue switch on the detonator first that leads to a magazine for teaching Zell? And really, it's fine missing things even on multiple playthroughs. It isn't like you it stops you from finishing the game. But that part of the game definitely needs a guide if you aren't spending hundreds of hours over multiple playthroughs trying to map it out yourself and want to get the rewards.

>> No.9235471

>>9233649
I'm the guy who made the post claiming to finish the game 20+ times. Never seen this before, very neat. I've never even finished the Queen of Cards quest, never done Obel Lake, never finished the Pupu quest, and probably other stuff that escapes me. VIII is a masterpiece, and it's a shame that it's so polarizing.

>> No.9235506

>>9227102
My reddit spacing was a bit extreme

>> No.9236534

So did anyone else think of a dumb way to beat omega weapon before they knew they could block terra break with the defend command?
I didn't want to just use invincibility shit and after getting pasted by terra break twice I noticed the pattern to the attacks, so I set everyone up with a couple low compatibility GFs and had them summon right before terra break so the GF died instead

>> No.9236574

>>9236534
I don't remember anything about using the Defend command. I'm pretty sure I just brute-forced it with Zell.

>> No.9236576

Rinoa dates Seifer and falls for him pre game. Then when she thinks he’s confirmed dead switches to Squall. No tears no nothing. She cold bros. Why bother rescuing her. She ain’t even seed.

>> No.9236807

>>9235413
Stats are exponential in FFVIII. Below 100 VIT Ruby Dragon's Breath will obliterate your party but if you max it out at 255, it will deal less than 500 damage. It really helps to show how important it is to understand the junction system - but I definitely agree that is very unorthodox it is in relation to past FF titles.

>> No.9236817

>>9236576
Garbage western translation. Rinoa is never emotionally involved with Seifer in the original script.

>> No.9238852

>>9220230
Go to the island in the corner. Think it's called hell or something. Grabby grab the hidden junctions. You win. That's what I can remember.

>> No.9239045

>>9236817
She’s still a filthy sorceress.