[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 73 KB, 800x450, nintendo_switch_online_expansion_pack_prices.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9755428 No.9755428 [Reply] [Original]

I hate to sound like some sort of pleb here, but the NSO service has become one of my favorite ways to play retro games. I have a large collection of physical games, multiple Everdrives and some FPGA game systems yet I find myself playing old games on my Switch the most.
It's just...too convenient. I can load something up so quickly and easily and pick up right where I left off. The slight input delay and mushy D-pad on the Pro controller throw me off on some games but it all balances out with the rewind feature.
I actually get excited when they release like, a bunch of B-tier Data East or Jaleco games on there as it takes me back to both my memories of renting random games and my collecting days where I could walk into a retro game shop and for 30 bucks walk out with a bag of cartridges.
I think it's hilarious seeing people complain whenever they put new titles on there "WHERE'S MEGA MAN X3? WHERE'S CHRONO TRIGGER" and I'm over here getting excited about shit like Operation Logic Bomb, lol

>> No.9755489

you are right, it does make you sound like a pleb, but that's ok, that's the target audience of the service anyway

>> No.9755496

I use the NES/SNES because its there and convenient but I am not paying extra for the expansion pass. I can play all this shit for free on about 50 other devices.

>> No.9755503

You sound like you have ADHD consumer brain and next month you'll be praising the virtues of whatever next gizmo you consoom. It will probably be the Steam Deck.

>> No.9755508

>>9755496
the individual price is insane, only got the expansion pack because i splitted with 10 other dudes.

>> No.9755510

>>9755503
I haven't bought a game console in over 5 years!!

>>9755508

Yeah I split this with a bunch of friends and family members and I pay like 11 dollars a year. Totally worth it at that price. Sorry the people complaining about the price has zero friends or family lmao couldnt be me.

>> No.9755512

>>9755428
NSO is fucking garbage compared to Virtual Console in every way imaginable. The Wii one is the best shit ever because it doesn't even let you savescum, it's amazing

>> No.9755519

>>9755510
>some FPGA game systems
Hmm...

>> No.9755523

>>9755519
Last thing I got was a Mega Everdrive was the Analogue Genesis which came out in what...2018?

>> No.9755524

>>9755512
i like NSO to test random shit, i think i would never stop to play Dr.Mario64(never really liked the NES one) but tried it on NSO and got like 20+ hours.

>> No.9755536

>>9755524
Ditto Fire N Ice for the NES. It's great for puzzle games.

>> No.9755538

>>9755428
I'd rather just buy a chinkheld with the same size screen that will play all the games immediately for free. Without lag and a better d-pad.

>> No.9755584

>>9755428
I think it could be a lot better and definitely think that offering an actual store for these games is much more respectful of the consumer, but at least the library of available games is good. I only have access to it since I'm the shmuck that pays for my entire family's NSO memberships. I don't have the Expansion Pack (and actually couldn't even if I wanted to since there is no way to upgrade a family plan NSO subscription as far as I can tell) but hear that the N64 emulation has been improved a lot since it was first released.

>>9755524
>>9755536
I'm happy that they got you guys to play two of my favorite puzzle games.

>> No.9755607
File: 55 KB, 708x531, Side-Pocket_009_09-07-2014.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone wanna play side pocket? This shit is comfy as fuck. I have an everdrive and anbernic whatnot, but recording multiplayer clips while you bounce through this funky ass catalog has been great. Now I just play singleplayer retro games on switch as a way to idle so i can keep a lobby open. Most zoomies are just replaying mk64 and goldeneye

>> No.9756125

I like NSO and the systems you get, but the glacial pace they add them bothers me a lot.
Also as someone who got it mostly for the N64 app, kinda dissapointed they're probably gonna stop adding one game per month to do 1 GBA game instead (Seeing WinBack, Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye on the service made me think Nintendo would actually put a bit of effort into expanding its N64 catalog this time around).
I also have actually played NSO games online with people and the experience wasn't nearly as terrible as Youtube and Twitter say.

>> No.9756126

>>9755428
pleb

>> No.9756160

>>9756125
The N64 library is pretty small so I'm not surprised they are pacing it. If they get the Goemon games and Ogre Battle on there I'll be happier than a pig in shit.

But yeah I'm on board for weekly drops - it doesn't even have to be anything notable either. I like weird stuff, like that Famicom mech game.

>> No.9756161

>>9756125
It's possible that we'll get one GBA game early in the month and one N64 game later in the month. They still haven't even released every N64 game that they already confirmed yet.
Based on what Nintendo is telling investors it seems like NSO will move over to Nintendo's next system, and if the glacial pace is just because they'll be there "forever" then I can understand it somewhat, but they already did this shit with every Virtual Console so I'm not buying into that idea fully yet

>> No.9756164

Did they add online multiplayer with randoms?
Unless they did I am sticking to RetroArch and Fightcade.

>> No.9756176

>>9756164
Nope. At this point I think they're just terrified of people griefing and deleting save files or some shit, but you can easily make fallback saves for that. Funnily enough the leaked GBA build had a random matchmaking option for internal use, so it's not like there's some magical hardware reason it can't work.

>> No.9756183

>>9756160
I know that, but like I said, seeing Rareware games, Winback and even Pilotwings 64 (apparently this game was also in licensing hell) made me think they would actually put more effort rather than add the basic Nintendo games and call it a day.
Konami titles (Goemon, Castlevania, Bomberman, Hybrid Heaven, maybe ISS64?) would be awesome because no way Konami would make collections/re-releases of those games (specially a Castlevania 64/LoD one), I also remember the Cruis'n Blast devs said they want to see the N64 trilogy on Switch too.
>>9756161
I really hope thats true, I really want to play 1080 or Excitebike 64 (too bad they confirmed Pokemon Stadium isn't transfer compatible).

>> No.9756198

>>9756183
Feels like the Expansion Pack was when they finally started putting more effort into licensing, not just because of N64 but even some of the later NES and SNES releases. I guess the normal price of Switch Online doesn't leave much room for funds to funnel back into itself for NSO licensing and the Expansion Pack was a new way to do that.

>> No.9756204

>>9755496
>>9755508

i did the same. in my region I can split the cost with 8 other people and now I'm paying half than what I was paying before, but for the expansion pack as well.

>> No.9756723

>>9755428
The Gameboy and GBA emulation is genuinely excellent (and the retro mode filter actually works), but the N64 emulator is an absolute disaster overall (it's okay for Paper Mario and the best version of Yoshi's Story yet, for whatever reason) with no attempt at salvaging the massacred visuals. The SNES emulator's CRT filter is a joke, but it's fine and convenient for games that don't need visual adjustment.

>> No.9756734
File: 35 KB, 720x480, Milk_Thistle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9755524
dr. mario 64 was my jam for like 7 months. I love the original but 64 is pretty and the soundfx are fun. Used to play the nes one on my phone, but switch is just better.

>> No.9756742

>>9755508
South Asian detected

>> No.9756747

>>9756160
Ogre battle is what I'm hoping for too. such an interesting game.

>> No.9756770

>>9756723
The reason N64 emulation continues to be garbage is because its code has been mostly the same stemming from a long chain of forks from work dating back to the fucking Gamecube. Every other emulator on NSO right now is either brand new (GB, GBA) or close to brand new (the Classic consoles, Genesis).
Whenever Nintendo has done special hacks for these emulators it is mostly just for flashing light reasons or adding custom support for things like rumble in GBA. Meanwhile N64 has hacks and workarounds on almost every single N64 game on the service because they need them for these games to work. It's fucking stupid.
I really hope that on the next system they get NERD to make an N64 emulator from scratch. Every emulator they have done actual work on so far has been a banger (DS on Wii U, NES, SNES, GBC, GBA, Gamecube for Sunshine in 3D All Stars) and I really think that they can finally make a good one. Until then we're stuck with iQue's geriatric mess.

>> No.9756805

>>9755510
>heh I pay for something everyone else gets for free
>i'm a genius

>> No.9756853

>>9755428
> It's just...too convenient. I can load something up so quickly and easily and pick up right where I left off.
you mean like RetroArch?
just say you like the novelty of playing retro on a switch instead of making up these bullshit excuses lol

>> No.9756872

>>9756770
They're probably still relying on HLE for N64 graphics emulation, right? That's definitely something that will remain an obstacle. Even the best HLE graphics plugin (GLideN64) is a bit of a mess. That's not to say LLE graphics emulation is automatically a magic bullet, of course. GLideN64's hardware-rendered LLE mode is a half-baked mess, for example, and going for full pixel accuracy like with the Angrylion plugin results in ugly-ass blurry, low-res graphics. The best compromise is ParaLLEl-RDP, which can look great with minimal issues, but I doubt the Switch could handle it in hi-res mode, and that thing is pure black magic coding wizardry as far as I'm concerned.

>> No.9756873

>>9755428
When retro service on TG-16 and Saturn

>> No.9756957
File: 1.53 MB, 1283x715, nintendo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9755428
This sounds like a really weird shill post, or you have some bizarre autism/adhd. Especially with how you fucking awkwardly spin its negatives into positives.
>It's just...too convenient. I can load something up so quickly and easily and pick up right where I left off.
It uses save states like literally every other emulator and I believe FPGA and Everdrives.
>I think it's hilarious seeing people complain whenever they put new titles on there "WHERE'S MEGA MAN X3? WHERE'S CHRONO TRIGGER"
Maybe because people pay for a service that's dripfeeding them games and they want good ones?

NSO has a nice UI (surprised no one has made a clone unless I just haven't seen it) and old games look nice on the Switch OLED's screen but that's pretty well where any form of praise ends.
You can't remap controls without remapping the entire fucking system's controls.
Consoles like GBC/A don't have options regarding color correction when Nintendo themselves used the more saturated colors on official hardware.
The game selection is at best alright and as said before is dripfed at a snails pace to keep you paying.
Reminder that Nintendo promised these titles 6 months ago and we have a grand total of 4 of them currently.

It's in general just a shitty service when you have chink handhelds, PC emulators, everdrives, FPGA among other things that does everything it does but better.

>> No.9756958

>>9756872
There's no way they would have been running LLE on Gamecube so yeah. It's definitely the way they should go on their next hardware as I bet it can work well on Orin.
Since I'm already dreaming up shit it'd be nice if we got:
>a CRT filter (really just so it wasn't the outlier anymore)
>the option to run at original 240p resolution upscaled (some games just look better that way)
>rollback netcode (SNES, GBC, and GBA already have it)
>>9756873
It would depend on not only Nintendo wanting to and licensing games to do it, but them getting some outside studio to do the emulation for it. Nintendo never made an emulator for a system they didn't own for Virtual Console or NSO (Genesis NSO was done by M2). There's only one commercially available Saturn emulator right now and it kinda sucks

>> No.9756987

Absolute pleb tier.

The rule is: Actual hardware > emulation on PC > emulation on mobile > get a new hobby > give money to Nintendo for whatever broken pos they're selling this month.

>> No.9757047

>>9756957
>Consoles like GBC/A don't have options regarding color correction when Nintendo themselves used the more saturated colors on official hardware.
don't the built-in filters mitigate this? I'm pretty sure they have this. Other than that you're right

>> No.9757069

>>9755428
>paying for a licence to play games
Wtf?

>> No.9757072

>>9757047
I don't think Nintendo ever considered the saturated GBA colors to be the "canon" colors for their games. If that were the case they wouldn't have bothered with Game Boy Player specific color palettes. The only other time they've emulated the GBA (not just back compat modes) was on the Wii U, and that was when every emulator had the darkening filter anyway, so the raw colors weren't technically shown either (also M2 made that GBA emulation so it's possible Nintendo never bothered with that decision).

>> No.9757073

>>9755496
pretty much, I play them because they're there, but otherwise wouldn't be paying for them. The base price is fine enough for occasional multiplayer and the save backup system, but I'm not paying for the rest

>> No.9757103

the nso is incredibly overpriced and its not really worth it, nintendo just cares because the old games they made are not "profitable" anymore, and it makes the experience a lot worse.

>> No.9757283

>no crt filter for n64
I can't fucking believe it. Every single other emulator has this option, and N64 is ABSOLUTELY the one that fucking needed it most! I can't believe they think the mario party title screen is even allowed to be presented in that way, you're not even gonna run it through an ai upscaler for just the title screen? Why the fuck is "play 64... AND COUNT EACH PIXEL THIS TIME" a fucking selling point. These games aren't supposed to look like stretched jpgs, Nintendo should be ashamed to present their classics like this. Shitty upscale rereleases by disney even get more respect

>> No.9757292

>>9757283
I assume it's due to the fact that N64 games are being rendered at high resolution, and so that's the selling point. I agree with you, though. N64 games really do look best with a CRT shader, and even more if you add downsampling.

>> No.9757310

>>9757283
I know, right? I was excited to play Mario Party 2 with friends like it was 20 years ago, but I saw what it did to the board backgrounds and turned it off.

>>9757292
What CRT shader would you guys recommend for N64 games? I've only really gotten into them for SNES titles (Mega Bezel for games pre-rendered graphics, Guest Advanced for the rest).

>> No.9757320

>>9757310
Guest-Advanced is the best bar none. Use ParaLLEl-RDP, crank up the resolution to 4x, turn on downsampling to get it back down to native res, and enjoy the improved 3D without fucking up the 2D stuff.

>> No.9757327

>>9757320
Rad, thank you. Nice to see my weapon of choice applies still.

>> No.9757330
File: 3.19 MB, 1920x1080, BURGERTIME DELUXE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm glad you enjoy it OP, I find no use for it at all when it's pretty demonstrably worse across the board than just emulating through a nice frontend, pic unrelated

>> No.9758746

>>9757283
Apparently the way that the UI interacts with their N64 emulation is why the input lag is bad and why F-Zero X can drop frames, so I wonder if they didn't add a CRT filter because it would get even worse lmao

>> No.9758829
File: 246 KB, 570x668, 1660856010851337.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't care, didn't ask.

>> No.9759327

I'm glad NSO exists. Nintendo seems like one of the only companies that really cares about bringing their classics forward to younger gamers.
And I mean they *should* be proud of their older games.

>> No.9759352

>>9759327
same, I just wish the service wasn't so half-assed. It's better than previous Nintendo emulator but still not good enough

>> No.9759381
File: 857 KB, 889x717, none.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9759327
I play pretty much everything through either real hardware via flashcarts/ODE or emulation, yet I still root for NSO to succeed in terms of quality solely due to the cascading effect it has on public opinion on the games they put on the service.
Back when Virtual Console on Wii U was out I could swear that more and more people started talking about how bad Mario 64's controls were around this time. My guess is that it's because Wii U VC's input latency was godawful. It felt like Nintendo was ruining public perceptions of their games unintentionally and without even noticing. I'm seeing it again with both SM64 and Ocarina of Time on NSO.
Meanwhile people are head over heels with all of the GB and GBA stuff. The emulation is top notch and the online is genuinely impressive. I haven't seen anyone really shitting on anything besides Alone in the Dark just for laughs. All of the other NSO emulators besides N64 are very good too.
>>9759352
I really only think N64 is the half-assed one in terms of emulation quality. Everything else has stuff like rollback netcode, correct interpolated scaling and decent filters, which isn't common to have these all on most modern compilations.
Where NSO truly falters is the content drip feed, lack of per-game/per-system control binding, and the inability to turn off that damn border. All shit they could fix in a second, which is annoying.

>> No.9759384

>>9757330
What is your frontend?

>> No.9759387 [DELETED] 

Which retro console would be ideal for me?
>i hate nintendo
>I hate NES
>I hate Mario bros
>I hate zelda
I hate Pokemon
>console without Nintendo games
>console where it is impossible to play Nintendo video games
>console with anti-Nintendo design
> console with anti-nintendo controller
>console that is not in the virtual console of Wii, Wii U or 3DS
>console that cannot be emulated on nintendo consoles

>> No.9759391
File: 1.77 MB, 2880x1290, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9759387

>> No.9759393

>>9756723
>best version of Yoshi's Story
I've been playing Story on it and there's framedrops on the same level as the ones in F-Zero X.

>> No.9759395

>>9759387
nigger.

>> No.9761304

>>9759384
Launchbox

>> No.9761323

>>9755428
You are a pleb, you've got all that other shit so you obviously have money for this stuff. So buy an emulation PC, more games, more platforms, more customisibility, better compatibility and accuracy, access to hacks, I mean fuck dude.

Why are you doing this on a switch when it is easily one of the worst ways you could do this? An android phone is a better choice.

>> No.9761326

I will never stop defending "traditional" emulation, but I have to admit that sometimes convenience is king. It's not hard to download retroarch and a romset but it all adds up, and sometimes you're just left fiddling with settings and switching games every 5 mins instead of just sitting down and having a gay old time with a video game.

>> No.9762167

>>9761304
>Launchbox
>Paying to run emulators

>> No.9762206

>>9755428
>boot up PC
>open emulation folder
>load emulator and open game for 0 dollars

>paying 20 dollars to stream roms on 7 year old tegra tablet with emulation outpaced by hobbyists over a decade ago
>convenient
Congrats, your bait's been caught, what's the next step of your master plan?

>> No.9762214
File: 35 KB, 1024x576, Switch-Error2123-1502-1024x576-3693095658.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9762206
Crashing this app... with no survivors!

>> No.9762225

>>9761326
That's a you problem.
>>9757330
>>9761304
Are you in the gay competition with OP?

>> No.9762257

>>9755428
>convenient
NSO is the most inconvenient way to play a game, there are several other handhelds you could have picked that have your device boot into a favorites list/last played list. You can even turn on save state load/close when loading or closing a game that are even more convenient.

What NSO is is the laziest way to play retro games.

>> No.9762321

>>9755428
I think paying that money for the expansion pack is kind of dumb because you could do the same, for free*, with more options and customization, but at the end of the day you're actually playing fucking video games so I'll give you props.

*assuming you already have one of the plentiful devices that can handle emulation, and N64 emulation specifically

>> No.9762340
File: 102 KB, 228x271, goldeneye_face.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9755428
> I hate to sound like some sort of pleb here
it's reasonable to play games on the switch sometimes, especially on the go
> but it all balances out with the rewind feature
nevermind you are absolute human garbage lol

>> No.9762750

>>9762321
the single only thing nso has going for it is its pool of active retro players, especially for goldeneye. You can't really turn on retroarch and go hunting for games without jumping into some faggoty discord to set up the match. On the flipside, you're more likely to have lag so you have to actively axe people off your friendlist

>> No.9762759

>>9762167
>paying
There's a ton of licenses for it floating around, I've even seen full downloads for peoples' setups.

>> No.9762779

>>9762167
>Paying
but it's free. you only pay for skins

>> No.9762820

>>9755428
Restaurants aren’t just about food quality. It’s about atmosphere and the experience of dining in a social setting. I think of NSO as much the same thing, it’s more than simply the quality of emulation- the presentation is important too. This is why RetroArch guzzlers are unable to think critically. “Bro just use your phone” is somehow acceptable to these people who love aimlessly configuring bullshit, but never actually play games.

>> No.9762858

>>9762820
I don't want to hear anything about "y-you don't play games!" from the guys with a whopping 9 GBA games available to them

>> No.9762868

Any of you fags want to play some vidya? Looking to play some shit from the base nso consoles. Burgertime whatever, just not something where I'll get buttraped into infinity by one of you turbo-autists.
SW-3173-6476-8609

>> No.9763029

>>9762858
Pfffhahahahaha
Choked his ass

>> No.9763108

>people complaining about the price ITT
It's like, 3 euros a month. Are you guys a bunch of third worlders or something?

>> No.9763116
File: 37 KB, 600x712, 3E5C8159-E6DD-4325-86FC-A9507A0E9D62.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9763108
>Euros

>> No.9763120

>>9763116
>poor

>> No.9763129

>>9755428
>t's just...too convenient. I can load something up so quickly and easily and pick up right where I left off. The slight input delay and mushy D-pad on the Pro controller throw me off on some games but it all balances out with the rewind feature.
This is 100% a troll thread. Nice bait, almost fell for it opee.

>> No.9763149

The service is made for Fortnite Timmy to try ‘old people games’ and it does that quite well. Before they had Miiverse so Timmy can be like ‘why can’t Metroid crawl’ with other kids

>> No.9763179

>>9755489
fpbp

>> No.9763338

>>9755607
Not yet, but i like to try it