[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.58 MB, 352x224, 1393857749076.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9962962 No.9962962 [Reply] [Original]

>m-muh zoomers!
This is retarded. I'm 22 and I enjoy retro video games. Many of you would even say I have good taste. My brother on the other hand is nearly 30 and can't play tomb raider or system shock 2, to name a few examples, because they're "clunky" for him. In my experience millennials are just as averse to retro video games if not more so than zoomers are, hence why you see so many 30-something year old journos shitting on the recent system shock remake for being "archaic".

Pic unrelated.

>> No.9962965

im so fucking sick of this boomer zoomer loomer scroomer shit

>> No.9962967

>>9962965
Generational differences are real.

>> No.9962979
File: 130 KB, 600x800, 1676772423468223.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9962962
I'm 32 and I agree with you. I know people in their 30s who think PS2 games are basically unplayable today. By the way that's how you know if someone genuinely loves video games. People who only play what's new and popular and aren't interested in trying older games they've never played before don't like video games, they just play them because they're popular now and modern AAA games are easier to play. It's kinda similar to people who refuse to watch movies made in the 70s and earlier because "They look like shit". Those people don't like movies, they just go see the latest Star Wars or Capeshit because that's what everyone is doing.

>> No.9963079

Everyone here who says zoomer is a 20 or 30 year old trying to act smug.

>> No.9963080

>>9963079
>30 year old trying to act smug
This is me and I hate every single one of you faggot zoomers. I hope the gen Alpha counter culture shits on all of you niggers

>> No.9963101

>>9963080
>Intergenerational cultural degeneration
You must be bad at pattern recognition

>> No.9963104
File: 508 KB, 324x216, Laserrave.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

-oomer posting should be a bannable offense.

>> No.9963118

>>9962962
Actually nobody past a certain age plays video games because they are too busy parenting or some other boring stuff. I'm grateful for the young people in my life who aren't consumed by stuff like this

>> No.9963157
File: 974 KB, 501x205, zelda2-fairy3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9962962
It's not just the game. Even if you buy a real NES and CRT TV, you can't recreate the experience of actually playing it in 1987. You weren't there. You're spoiled by the knowledge and culture of everything up to 2023. You cannot genuinely fit in with a pair of 40-year-olds reminiscing about retro games.

>> No.9963163

>>9962967
doesn't mean we have to constantly talk about that shit, does it

>> No.9963174

>>9963157
This but for gameboy pokemon

>> No.9963175

>>9962979
This is an IQ issue. I'm sure many of them like movies and videogames, but they are told and assured by their peers and the media that consuming "new thing" is better because it's got NEW technology behind the graphics or NEW 3D effect, etc... This is the overstimulation that they've been (we all have been) told to consume, compounding and causing our attention spans to dectease. They don't take a step back to assess the situation, that wouldn't even be a thought in their brain. The average IQ is falling in the western world and you're asking tough questions they don't want to think about. They also have been told by authority figures that they don't need to think about that kind of stuff because it's old and doesnt matter.

>> No.9963181

>>9962962
Millenials have the worst taste In gaming history. Aversion to 2D games in all forms. Still jerking their cocks to the same cinematic AAA slopfests with plots ripped off from the same 80s movies for the 999th time.

>> No.9963183

>>9963181
Kill yourself nigger ALTTP is dogshit and gets mogged by the gameboy games.

>> No.9963198

>>9962962
>In my experience millennials are just as averse to retro video games if not more so than zoomers are
Not me, being a millennial myself I'm still into retro, i gave up on modern day because I'm just not having fun anymore. You're experiencing what Gen X did to us before you became the target. Wojaks were just never a thing back then so it may be a distant memory for most of the people posting here, but they always quite hostile towards us. In fact it's millennials mostly fucking with you now. Whilst we used to be the target of everything being shit. Gen X used to blame millennials all the time for FPS games becoming cancer starting with Halo for example. Sorry, but you can't avoid it and you'll likely be doing something to a younger generation when they're old enough. It's just the natural cycle going forward of blaming a generation when more casuals invade the medium. For me personally i realized everything went to shit after 6th gen, but there are gen X people on here that think I'm delusional for ever thinking that gen was good.

>> No.9963202

>>9963175
But on the contrary, the popular thing is also retro games or at least it's popular to buy retro games and flaunt your collection. Retro games are cool like wearing band Ts that you don't listen to. It's all for fashion, clout, FOMO. These people will drop retro gaming the moment its not cool anymore. Though, culture isn't changing the same as it used to. It's like since 2006 or so everything popular is relatively the same as now. YouTube made retro games popular mostly cause AVGN then the retrotuber boom hit hard and videogames in general were already becoming mainstream and here we are. It feels like the videogames culture is cut in half. People who like retro and don't like new AAA and then people who don't like retro and almost exclusively play AAA. yes there are those who like both, that doesn't seem to be the majority.

>> No.9963205

>>9963079
If you were born in the 90s you're a zoomer. Sorry, not sorry.

>> No.9963208

>>9963205
>Sorry, not sorry.
You *clap* forgot *clap* to *clap* do *clap* this

>> No.9963210

>>9963157
>you can't recreate the experience of actually playing it in 1987. You weren't there.
Nostalgia isn't necessary to enjoy retro games and if it is it means that game was never good to begin with.

>> No.9963216

>>9963205
>1989 and before = boomer
>1990 and later = zoomer
No, definitely nobody ever thought this, boomer

>> No.9963217

>>9962967
lol? You idiot. If that was the case specific things we talk about here would be easy to say "you are a gen x". They never are.

>> No.9963220

>>9963118
No....? No they are not.

>> No.9963221

>>9963210
NTA he means circumstantial experience not memory of that experience

>> No.9963223

>>9963221
I don't understand the argument. Are you saying I need to have been 8 in 1987 to enjoy Castlevania 1 on NES? Because that's patently false.

>> No.9963224

>>9962962
Good, glad to hear you're not a faggot. Now, continue that trend by never bringing up that you're a zoomer again (especially as an OP).

>> No.9963234

>>9963205
>1989 and before = boomer
Millenials/gen Y is 1981 to 1994 roughly around there i think. I'm 92 so i know that I'm a millennial. Gen X is 1965 - 1980 And boomer is 1946-1964. If i have that correctly, maybe I'm wrong. I always thought the whole boomer meme was supposed to be an inaccurate labeling of a generation just to call someone old and make a joke out of it.

>> No.9963243

>>9963079
I'm definitely of the belief that a lot of the people who angrily accuse others of being zoomers are zoomers themselves.
>some millennial or Gen Xer makes a comment about the era based on their lived experience
>THAT'S WRONG YOU STUPID ZOOMER
>proceeds to post some Wikipedia quote tier understanding, sales figure, modern YouTube eceleb take, "the PSX is a PS2 DVR, no gamer abbreviated the original PlayStation as PSX," etc to defend their accusation

>> No.9963249

>>9962967
Only partly,
All this boomer/zoomer bullshit is also a mindset independent of age, especially visible in places like these where a person's identity and age is hidden by design.

There are younger people enjoying tomb raider, and older people complaining it controls like shit. And a lot of people call the latter person a zoomer.

>> No.9963254

>>9963205

>t. born in 2002

>> No.9963256

>>9963223
That's not circumstantial, you can play Castlevania anytime. The idea is the surrounding culture and lifestyle aside from the games. Specifically no internet

>> No.9963257

>>9963256
>The idea is the surrounding culture and lifestyle aside from the games. Specifically no internet
Bullshit, what you're describing is nostalgia and it's just a shield to keep old games from criticism. No one ever cries about "not being there" when I like an old game.

>> No.9963303

>>9963205
You must be smoking rocks

>> No.9963309
File: 50 KB, 497x484, FUBWaJiUcAAHKN8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9962962
>My brother on the other hand is nearly 30 and can't play tomb raider or system shock 2, to name a few examples, because they're "clunky" for him.

>> No.9963326

>>9963257
Retard, nostalgia is memory. We're talking about the actual living part that is required to make a memory. Before you can be nostalgic, you need something to have happened first.
>No one ever cries about "not being there" when I like an old game.
It's because nobody actually cares. You just can't appreciate it in the same way, inherently. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, or that your enjoyment is worthless, it's just a different experience. Stop being melodramatic.

>> No.9963372

>>9963157
>You cannot genuinely fit in with a pair of 40-year-olds
thank christ

>> No.9963382

>>9963326
I understand your point but I don't understand why you're trying to make it. Obviously I won't enjoy something I didn't grow up with the same way as someone who did, but how is that in any way relevant to this thread?

>That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, or that your enjoyment is worthless, it's just a different experience.
Cool. If you look at the OP again you'll see that the only claim I make is that I enjoy retro games.

>> No.9963384

>>9962962
>My brother on the other hand is nearly 30
he grew up with spongebob on the PS2. he's from the worst gaming generation. zoomers are probably more open to boomer games because indies.

>Pic unrelated.
that game is fantastic. i re-played it after dirt rally 2 and it doesn't feel unrealistic in comparison. the stratos plays like a real sim

>> No.9963390
File: 260 KB, 328x272, 1615604869588.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9963382
Well, that's why so many guys here are up in arms about zoomers. Zoomers can choose to easily coast through hundreds of games at their whim due to modernized emulators and mass availability of walkthroughs etc (some won't admittedly myself being one) whereas older gamers had what they could get and could only progress as they were able meaning they were more invested in the games they had. It's a sort of cultural rift in the community where some gamers want to "play" and other gamers want to "have played", where it's less about enjoying the game at your own pace and more about being able to talk about the game online which often necessitates getting through it as soon as possible and arguably enjoying it less as a result. My two cents

>> No.9963408

As i mentioned earlier, if you don't remember gen X's incessant bitching about millennials then you're probably a newfag. We were scapegoated for everything that went wrong in the industry just like Gen Z are now.
I can quite literally tell apart when someone is older when their rage about millennials comes about in a rant. That image of Baby's first FPS with the Halo cover was their message to us.
Another part to this discussion of why this is online bitching comes about is that Gen Z are likely calling other people zoomers without realizing what their actual generation is, some don't know if they were born in the slightly past mid to later period of the 90s of what they really are. Either most gen X'ers don't post here anymore or they got distracted by zoomers instead of what they really hated.
So i would tell OP to suck it up in a sense, you're never going to really relate to this people, my generation don't. Trying to fit in doesn't work, they can spot someone who tries to fit in too hard from miles away. It's like those people who post synthwave all the time and faux retro music who don't really know how tacky it sounds, you weren't there during the period. And you most likely won't do the research to understand every single matter culturally. When someone who posts Vaporwave and i see that shit, i call that out is fake understanding of the 90s all the time. You can't go back in time and watch every TV show during those times, it's a lot of things in combination of why you will never fit in. I don't try to fit in with 80s kids, i like music from the era but i can't begin to ever pretend i was there and have the same lived experience. Same with the video games, i can only play their games with a fresh perspective of what's old and it's not what it was like at the time as towards pushing the bar in the industry. My generation only shares some things in common with gen X in being sort of an ideal period of online gaming which both of our generations enjoyed.

>> No.9963435

>>9963408
>When someone who posts Vaporwave and i see that shit, i call that out is fake understanding of the 90s all the time. You can't go back in time and watch every TV show during those times, it's a lot of things in combination of why you will never fit in.
I'd only call this out if the ones posting it are claiming it is exactly how the 90s were like. But usually they aren't, usually they're aware it's a modern interpretation of the past that only highlights a small part of it. I don't think there's anything wrong with modern styles imitating older styles with a modern spin. If I watch Mad Men I don't get annoyed that it isn't an accurate depiction of the '50s/'60s. Same thing with the baroque revival of the late 19th century or neoclassicism in the 18th.

>> No.9963439

I don't mind zoomers at all. The cancer that killed /vr/ were 6th gen millennials, and I say this being a millennial myself. Sure you can make fun of zoomers for their quirks related to younghood but overall they have a cynical almost gen x mindset that resonates with me a lot. Millennials have no right to make fun of younger gens when they (we) are the official manchildren generation.

>> No.9963470

how did zoomers get into retro grames? AVGN?

>> No.9963478

>>9963408
I'd call myself a zillenial but I'd rather not explain what that is, much like how xillenials feel.
>vaporwave
It has roots on this site and as far as I'm aware is an absurdist movement as are most things from this site, anyone treating it seriously is missing the core tenets of modifying pop cliches and disassociation. Making the medium easy to reproduce ironically degraded the message.

>> No.9963568

>>9962967
imagine a world without american jews

>> No.9963572

>>9962962
I usually treat it as a mentality thing that trends toward a generational difference.

Obviously OP, if you're 22 and enjoying retro while a nearly 30 year old brother, you're an exception to the trend. Your brother may or may not be a "zoomer" but he's got a zoomer mindset. Outside of post-WW2 actual Baby Boomers, these -oomer slang words don't have universal definitions. So they're ultimately retarded but hey, that's slang for you.

>> No.9963586

>>9962965
I want to go back to the days when 4chan was about relinquishing identity, not clinging to it.

>> No.9963603

>>9963157
>you can't recreate the experience of actually playing it in 1987
True but at least he can play and appreciate the games

>> No.9963609

>>9962979
current big games are just graphics and no mystery and even then, they are, most of them, unoptimized garbage, both in consoles and pc.

>> No.9963612

>>9963572
>if you're 22 and enjoying retro while a nearly 30 year old brother, you're an exception to the trend

Wrong >>9963384 nailed it. Both are bad but zoomers fit in here 99999999999 times better than millennial shit because millennials can't play anything older than the PS1. Meanwhile zoomers grew up with modern pixel art and retro inspired games so they're more open to trying and talking about older stuff.
>inb4 I'm 30 and I totally love the nes
good for you, YOU are the exception to the rule

>> No.9963613
File: 58 KB, 720x720, 1683143350196380.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9963183
He didn't even mention ALTTP

>> No.9963889

>>9963612
Calm down and comprehend what I innocuously wrote before flying off the handle.

>> No.9963942

>>9963470
My cousin gave me his NES when I was nine

>> No.9963972

>>9963249
Which is correct. The boomer zoomer dichotomy is a mind set.

>> No.9964008

>>9963390
That's a fair point. People don't need to experience a game in order be a fan of it these days. Watch a YouTube video and you're good to go, when it comes to trite discussion of the surface. At least, it was like that 5 years ago. Now YouTubers make 6-12 hour videos breaking down so much detail, even a gamer who spent hundreds of hours playing that game when it released, may not know about. Then you add zoomers who absorb many of these days long videos and all of a sudden they are an "expert" on the subject. Though, this creates a huge rift. As we know, reading about something doesn't mean you can do that thing. Read and watch all the guitar tutorial, music theory lessons, etc... You want, if you've never picked up and actually played the guitar, you know nothing about realistically playing guitar. They make automatic chord machines and you just press a button to make a chord on guitars now. That is the same as using savestates/rewind. You don't actually know how to play the game, you didn't actually beat the game, you did finish that game. Sure, I'll give you that, but it's never going to be the same as having the endurance and skill to finish the game unassisted. This is coupled with those who actually have the skill and endurance to beat a game unassisted and it's no wonder why people get angry when someone says they "beat" a game using savestates or rewind, cause they half the time they don't actually know how to play the game. It's a ruse.

>> No.9964016
File: 151 KB, 250x200, chew.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9962965
Same, it's just so fucking dumb.

>> No.9964046

>>9963889
I just wanted an excuse to rant about millennials being shit, anon.

>> No.9964069

>>9963568
Imagine a world without any jews.

>> No.9964073

>>9963118
>nobody past a certain age plays video games
My dad plays Age of Empires occasionally. I'm also married and have a kid, and I still play video games every now and then, but it's less of not finding the time, and more of just being turned off because of all the crap that's been coming out the last 6 or 7 years.

>>9962962
Zoomer is a stand-in term for someone who only wants NEW THING, can only enjoy something if THING IS POPULAR, and NEEDS ATTENTION. It has less to do with the game being archaic and more to do with their attention spans and genuine interest being driven by the need to socialize, fit in, and feel "a part of something", which if they were actually gamers, then they wouldn't give a shit and enjoy a game for what it is, a game.

Nobody complains about Monopoly being clunky despite being almost 100 years old.

>> No.9964181

>>9962962
Your blog sucks
>>9962965
I agree

>> No.9964198

>>9962962
it's just aussie-kun who still uses that term

>> No.9964223

>>9964073
many many board game nerds complain about Monopoly. It's like the most hated of the "classics". bad analogy

>> No.9964234

>>9962962
It amazes me how /v/ is more obsessed with zoomers than /vr/

>> No.9964250

>>9962962
Every generation criticizes the hell of the generation after it. It's a tale as old as time.
But yeah, I've known millennials who just stop liking games they once loved the moment they're not on the cutting edge anymore. It's really weird.
And it's rare for people from any generation to appreciate stuff that was before their time, it's not just a zoomer thing.
It's a foregone conclusion that most zoomers are philistines but that's largely because most millennials are philistines too.

>> No.9964257

>>9963157
There'll be a gap in experiences but you can still have, like, an intergenerational understanding of something's awesomeness. You still fit in, just in a different way that doesn't have the same unspoken assumptions. But that's fine because you can learn about each others' different perspectives.

>> No.9964262

>>9963175
Humanity-wide sickness that affects every generation but is harder to escape with each new one

>> No.9964472

>>9964223
>board game nerds

And no one cares about or listens to what they have to say, so my point is even more valid.

>> No.9964493

>>9964472
I'm not a board game nerd but I remember hating Monopoly, even Sorry was better.

>> No.9964502

>>9963234
You are wrong. Nobody who grew up on master system or 2600 makes these zoomer oot/Mario 64 threads and it's because they were born in the 80s or 70s.

>> No.9964514
File: 316 KB, 720x576, 1685186503115549.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964502
I was born in the 90s and I'm probably the most vocal critic of oot in almost every oot thread. Nintoddlers hate me and I love it.

>> No.9964518

>>9964472
then don't use board games as a metaphor ya dinkus

>> No.9964523

>>9962967
only because (((you people))) keep forcing it

>> No.9964528

>>9962962
kys and take your verbal diarrhea of buzzwords and memes with you faggot

>> No.9964606

>>9962965
/vr/oomers too lel

>> No.9964708

>>9964008
>Then you add zoomers who absorb many of these days long videos and all of a sudden they are an "expert" on the subject.
I know a 19 year old like this at my work. He knows everything about DMC, RE4, Fallout 1 and 2, Metal Gear Rising, but hasn't played any of those games. He does play older games though, but he is an "expert" in some that he has never played.

>> No.9964774

>>9964708
oh my fucking god this is so cringe. I'm 24 and I don't know anything about games I didn't play and don't pretend to.

>> No.9964779

>>9963249
It's also because zoomers live in millennials' shadow and their entire identity is based on "being the younger generation."
It's going to be funny when gen A arrives and zoomers all have an identity crisis.

>> No.9964798

>>9964008
>>9964708
The inverse of this is "boomers" thinking they're authorities on video game history just because they were alive during a given period. My dad is in his 70s and swears to this day that until Windows 95 came out Macintosh was the quintessential gaming platform. He was there at the time, does that make him right? If he was a /vr/ poster he'd be crying and screaming about "zoomers" every time someone rightly pointed out that he was wrong.

And recently a 30-something year old "boomer" claimed to me that "competitive Quake players" were playing Quake at 60fps in 1996 (hence why 60fps has always mattered) which is disproven by pretty much any performance benchmark from the time.

>> No.9964803

>>9964798
Even if they are technically incorrect, their mythologizing is still more valuable than your fact-checking. And yes, it's because they were actually there.

>> No.9964806

>>9962962
Why are you bothered then? Enjoy the games. You don't need to defend your whole generation of retards on the internet daily. Most people are retarded anyway in every generation but being young and naive makes it 10x worse
I remember when millenials were le cringe on the internet compared to the based gen Xers. And we deserved it because of the emos and goths and other retarded fads and inferior music. Now it's our turn to bully and most of you really deserve it.
One day you'll understand too and it's only getting worse. The internet is really turning the world to shit very fast.

>> No.9964810

>>9964806
>I remember when millenials were le cringe on the internet compared to the based gen Xers.
This never happened.
The internet was always millennial turf.
It arguably still is, with zoomers merely being tourists.

>> No.9964823

>>9964803
>their mythologizing is still more valuable than your fact-checking
Lol no. It's valuable insofar as it provides insight into how a period was perceived at the time, but if something is factually incorrect it's factually incorrect.

>> No.9964827

>>9962962
sega rally is so cool i love it so much

>> No.9964828

>>9964823
It was real in their mind, and their mind is all that matters because they were the only ones there for it.
Their mythology is more real than your fact checking, because they were actually there and you weren't at all.

>> No.9964835

>>9964828
cringe bait

>> No.9964837

>>9964828
That's like saying the Greeks were right to attribute the Homeric Hymns to Homer because it was widely believed at the time.

>> No.9964853

>>9963234
Are you smoking rock? Millennials go to 1996, Zoomers start in 1997 and end in 2012, and then a new generation starts. Generations aren't 13 years long.

>> No.9964854

>>9964837
If they weren't right then why are you literally referring to them as the Homeric Hymns literally right now.

>> No.9964858

>>9964854
It's the traditional name.

>> No.9964862

Alright this is an easy break down since some of you are fucking delusional.

1977-1980 = proto millennials/Gen Y. Came of age during internet era.
1981-1983 = xennials, sort of gen x or gen y. But leans millennial
1984-1993 = full millennial, hipster basedboy 90s kids
1994-1996 = proto zoomers, grew up as millennials but kind of act like faggot zoomers but really aren't zoomies
1997-1999 = zillennials, generational mutts of millennial and zoomers
2000+ = zoomer no cap fr bussin broccoli

>> No.9964868
File: 71 KB, 995x720, 1485736495197.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964806
>The internet is really turning the world to shit very fast.
I blame us, shitposting attracted actual morons and the entire world suffered for it, how can we blame the new generation when we made the internet a shithole.

>> No.9964871

Are you aware that another name for millennials is (((echo boomers)))
Not even joking, look it up.

>> No.9964921

>>9963478
Beret post

>> No.9964924

>>9964871
I prefer baby boomlet

>> No.9964927

>>9963478
You know you are deep when you don't take anything seriously. It's that easy.

>> No.9964978

>>9964927
Gen X were the ironic, sarcastic generation. Then millennials gradually became the sincere generation which turned into the childishly naive generation (manchildren) causing zoomers to ricochet back even harder to the ironic side of things.

>> No.9964989

lmao, what, you want an award or something? at best, you have slightly better taste in video games than other kids your age. at worst, you're just a contrarian faggot trying to be different for different's sake (like every 20-something). either way, you're still a 22 year old shithead who knows absolutely nothing about the world, and at 30 you'll be laughing at the faggot you are today.

>> No.9965010

>>9964978
Gen Z has no identity they just copypaste others

>> No.9965316

>>9964806
>Now it's our turn to bully and most of you really deserve it.
A millennial bullying a zoomer for being cringe is like a Homer Simpson type making fun of a fellow fatass for not being able to walk straight. You seem to be under the impression that being older automatically makes all the usual millennial manchildren kirks more tolerable, it doesn't. No one likes millennials, even a lot of other millennials don't like millennials.

>> No.9965351

>>9963157
Nintendo Power pdfs + old tv commercials on youtube should cover it

>> No.9965353

>>9964862
I prefer 6-7 year chunks.
>1976-1983: Xennials
>1984-1991: Millennials
>1992-1999: Zillennials
>2000-2023: Zoomers

I don't believe in Gen Alpha. Everyone with a 2 at the start of their year is a zoomer.

>> No.9965362

>>9962979
>I'm 32 and I agree with you. I know people in their 30s who think PS2 games are basically unplayable today.

sometimes its true. Oftentimes the bitching is about the graphics at the time making it unplayable. The truth is that while computing power is stupid greater than it was in PS2's days, game graphic design doesn't really look any different, this was the first gen there was 'enough' horsepower to render something like a person or a vehicle with serious fidelity.

The difference between GT and GT4, MGS and MGS2, Medal of honor, and MOH Vangaurd are waayyyy bigger than the difference of the latter to now.

currently basically it boils down to the artistic talent of the graphic/modeler. There is plenty of horsepower to make avatars and worlds look good enough. Most technical graphic fidelity increases since then are display rez, and fps... and artistic increases are mostly environmental.

> By the way that's how you know if someone genuinely loves video games. People who only play what's new and popular and aren't interested in trying older games they've never played before don't like video games, they just play them because they're popular now and modern AAA games are easier to play. It's kinda similar to people who refuse to watch movies made in the 70s and earlier because "They look like shit". Those people don't like movies, they just go see the latest Star Wars or Capeshit because that's what everyone is doing.

you aren't wrong about your agegroup, but its nothing new and it was the same thing with our agegroup. Well, maybe different with where you draw the line. Many of us were supremely unimpressed with early 3d in most genres and the insistence on the death of 2d gaming, especially in press.

>> No.9965543

>>9965353
I'd put generations on what they'd remember
Gen X-Millennial: Cold War
Millennial-Zoomer: 9/11

>> No.9965552

>>9964472
>I am ignorant therefore everyone is ignorant
The resurgence and success of board games which aren't published by Parker Brothers, Spin Master or Hasbro would indicate otherwise.

>> No.9965608
File: 12 KB, 270x189, The Treachery Of Images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964921
Hon hon hon, porcelaine
>>9964927
I specified "pop cliches" but mischaracterize as you please
>>9964978
Irony has been a part of this site for a very long time, before zoomers were a popularity recognized generational group. Not to mention millenials were a core group for 00s hipsters aka the people that almost exclusively enjoyed things ironically.
>mustache muscleshirt on a skinny dude
Irony has been a part of culture for as long as culture has existed as far as I'm concerned, perhaps even humanity itself.

>> No.9965610

kill all zoomers.

>> No.9965636

>>9965608
>Irony has been a part of this site for a very long time, before zoomers were a popularity recognized generational group
That's just regular old internet culture, which was shaped by xenials. As soon as normie core millennials massively got online, we lost most of it.

>> No.9965658

>>9965353
1992-93 actually is the cut off point, that's millennial. I know this because i wanted to find out if i was a zoomer or not, and nope guess I'm not. I can't inaccurately call myself that. I wouldn't care if i was one, but that's not the case.

>> No.9965660

>>9965636
As cliche as it is to say as soon as smartphones took off the internet was doomed.

>> No.9965685

>>9963390
This is bullshit. Being limited to a handful of games as a kid didn't make me more "invested" in them. When I was stuck or finished a game I simply watched TV, got books from the library, or went out to bike or swim. If your entire childhood was just bashing your head against the wall playing the same video games then you have problems.

>> No.9965707

>>9963234
>I'm 92 so I'm not a zoomer
Nice try.
>>9963254
I'm an 80s boy. Grew up on 2600 and master system.
>>9963303
Zoomer cope.

>> No.9965709

>>9965685
Spot on post. Odd how my adult life is work, gym and grinding training mode/playing an mmo.

>> No.9965712

>>9965636
Xenials and millenials. You know, 00s hipsters. You didn't lose any culture, it just went further underground and you liked it more for it, and irony is not exclusive to any generation.

>> No.9965724

>>9965685
If you enjoyed the game you would play it as you wished and get better naturally.
>only progress as they were able
Safe to assume people have a life beyond their hobbies, but sure. Call me Wesley Willis.

>> No.9965726

>>9962962
Cool story champ

>> No.9965742
File: 25 KB, 828x472, FvoR2pcaEAIXzJr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9964828
>>9964803
Is this you? Cause it sure sounds like that.

>> No.9965751

Generational shit is low IQ normalfag tribalism over nothing. Generations are defined by the reigning normalfag culture at the time. If you aren't some oversocialized pleb in need of a pseudotribe you are beyond this stuff. I don't mean in a "born in the wrong generation" type of way because even that is just another expression of this tribalism, just self-hatred of your own tribe in favor of another.

>> No.9965758

>>9965751
/thread

>> No.9965770

>>9965707
>Nice try.
If you want to go mentioning around generations and calling people zoomers like it matters, then you need to learn the proper years. A small amount of years does matter here, even at the tail end of it. My first exposure to FPS was Doom when i was a child in school. Someone installed it on the computers, because that game got installed fucking everywhere. I played Quake when i was in like grade 1. We got in trouble for it at school for playing violent games.

>> No.9965780

>>9964798
The issue for me isn't so much that a "boomer" is wrong or that a "zoomer" is right, since of course anybody can be wrong or right, it's more when somebody who clearly wasn't alive at the time starts misinterpreting Wikipedia articles/YouTube videos and uses said misinterpretation as a way to start shitting up a thread by accusing other people of being zoomers. Like recently somebody clearly read a Wikipedia article about internet usage and started trying to argue that everybody and their mother were regularly using BBSes in the 80s and early 90s.

>> No.9965818

>>9963470
I played a lot of Smash Bros (Brawl/4) growing up and wanted to explore the franchises from which the characters originated.

>> No.9965821

>>9964803
>their mythologizing is still more valuable than your fact-checking
kek

>> No.9965826

>>9965724
If your point isn't that you played the same games more frequently than I fail to see how that would get you more invested.

>> No.9965829

>>9963470
>read about emulators online
>"free games? sign me up!"

>> No.9965832

>>9963202
Buying stuff to display on your self is not gaming.

>> No.9965836
File: 185 KB, 400x400, sorry-for-jak_just-too-fitting.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9963470
Reading UESP for Oblivion info then found Arena's booba cover so I immediately downloaded it and dosbox to played it. Ended up actually liking it so imagine my complete and utterly pleasant surprise when I got to Daggerfall.

>> No.9965840

>>9965751
This is true for attaching to tribes but I can still acknowledge they exist. I was born in the 2000s but if I see someone worshipping e-celebs and video essays I will not take them seriously. Similarly if some faggot millennial tells me that Sonic Adventure 2's terrible story is "kino" or some shit I will not take them seriously either. Both are clear indicators of what's wrong with their generations as a whole.

>> No.9965849

>>9965840
>I see someone worshipping e-celebs and video essays I will not take them seriously.
This is hardly unique to gen z. If not e-celebs, regular celebs and not video essays, any other type of media.
>if some faggot millennial tells me that Sonic Adventure 2's terrible story is "kino" or some shit
Nothing is "millennial" about that. People can be attached to terrible shit for many reasons. Mostly because they played it as a kid, which does make it somewhat generational but you'd be surprised what games or any other media they happened to be exposed to as kids.

>> No.9965860

>>9965826
The idea involves availability. It'd be a waste to choose a game and not play it, you were more willing to put up with games that would be balked at by a modern gamer because you were the one that picked it for whatever reason and you can't download an entire new game instead. Best case scenario you're renting and you know to get a different game next time around, but this weekend you've got this game and that's it.

>> No.9965863

>>9965860
honestly the games I rented were always awesome, since there wasn't enough time for the novelty to wear off.

>> No.9965864

>>9963080
>gen alpha counter
imma custom combo that baby ass bitch outta window fr

>> No.9965886
File: 75 KB, 876x347, 1669273959209668.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9963390
People who only reminisce about retro games but never play them are the worst.

>> No.9965917

>>9963080
>>9965864
for me, I can't wait to see what the gen Beta counter-counter culture brings to the table.

>> No.9965953

>>9963470
>be me, 6 years old
>on mommy's laptop
>google "free mario sonic game" to play some adobe flash games
>find browser emulators
>play a bunch of nes games on internet explorer
>bruh this is lit fr fr no cap
>fast forward a few years
>get my own laptop
>download proper emulators
>play a wider variety of retro games

>> No.9965954

>>9965917
Boomers of the 21st century, every day I wish for the next world war to wipe the asian continent

>> No.9965967

zoombie

>> No.9965993

>>9965316
is this zoomer irony or zoomer lack of self awareness?

>> No.9965996

>>9965780
This. It gets convoluted when zoomers try and imagine what life was like before the internet and iphones took over. Which is crazy to me. I have no problem talking with people about how it was in the 60s-80s, but I was born in the 90s. When you talk to zoomers about how every thing in the mid 2000s it's like they have to compact all of history from now going backwards. They don't understand what it's like to write letters, wait for weekly episodes of your new show, how important 60 minutes was, etc... they think stupid shit like everybody was online using bbs, nearly nobody was online until aol came out with free internet trail cds.

>> No.9966000

>>9965860
I can only say having fewer options as a kid affected my gaming experience negatively. I cannot see how it's important to have that experience to discuss games.
If some kid comes on here and asks about retro game design, like why certain aspects of games were so punishing/harder then someone will explain to them that games were designed to last differently than they are today. You don't need to have experienced it for yourself to understand this.
>>9963157
>You cannot genuinely fit in with a pair of 40-year-olds reminiscing about retro games.
Who cares about fitting in on an anonymous board? This is a place to discuss old games, not a social club.

>> No.9966006 [DELETED] 
File: 142 KB, 1000x1000, 1685187551958804.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9966000
>Dub dubs, trips
Why does kek waste meme magic on lukewarm opinions

>> No.9966013

>>9966006
Sorry for not having misanthropic opinions I guess.

>> No.9966041
File: 345 KB, 923x865, SM3DL_Goldenleaf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9965996
Eternal September was the turning point from enthusiast internet to popular internet.
>>9966000
Having appreciation for archaic design is the point, not merely understanding it. I don't want to explain why older games are harder ad nauseam, I want to have discussions with people that can appreciate the harder design rather than reading diatribes from tourists applying modern standards to games that aren't modern.

>> No.9966087

>>9966041
I think the point is to play the game and have fun, something zoomer obsessed millennials seem incapable of doing. yet another win for zoomerchads.

>> No.9966091

>>9966087
>zoomer obsessed millenials
is that why you're talking about millenials right now?

>> No.9966134

>>9966041
It's a boring world where everyone appreciates the same exact things.

>> No.9966146

>>9962967
>Generational differences are real.
They are, the reversal of the flynn effect has meant that since 1970 each generation has seen an IQ drop by 6-10 points. This takes people who might have been 'average' down to borderline clinically retarded, You can definitely tell millennials were stupider (and bizzarely more egoistical) but zoomers are another drop down their generational icon is literally a retarded Swedish girl who shouts at grown ups. The really scary part and we are at this stage is the children of zoomers will in what would have been average now be actually intellectually disabled, that is fundamentally unable to ever care for themselves. The reason s zoomers and milennials have difficulty moving out of home is not simply economic challenges, these also existed the truth is a large percentage of them cannot feed or clothe themselves independently without a carer

>> No.9966254

>>9966087
You misspelled self-obsessed egotists
>>9966134
All hobbies have fundamentals that are multifaceted and are worth discussing. If you don't appreciate the fundamentals, find another thing where you can, whether that's a different game or a different hobby.
>>9966146
Hangups on IQ don't make you smart, learning does. It's not the size of the jar, it's what you fill it with.

>> No.9966512
File: 75 KB, 472x505, VR zoomer vs maze small v2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9962962
Being a zoomer is not about your age, it's about your attitude.
The essence of zoomerism is having a very critical / holier than thou attitude to older generation and not-so-subtle identity politics (like "ok boomer"). It's all about believing that you, a young person, are so much better than the bad old generation and your shit doesn't stink, while realistically being pretty pathetic and living in the worst era of culture.
Zoomerism is, first and foremost, about dividing everything into "them & us", "boomers & zoomers", "their bad cringe boomer games" and "our good modern games". A zoomerian attitude is that of entitlement, fragility and blaming others. Zoomers get filtered by old games easily, but instead of gitting good, they've learned to call this "bad game design" and shit on the old games. They feel like they're entitled to 100% a game and that when they lose, it's everyone else's fault.
Being a zoomer is about being entitled to participation trophies; it's in thinking that every game should just shower a player with content and never, god forbid, challenge or test the player—or they could lose. They miss the main point that in the old games, the challenge IS the content; it's the thing you play an old game for. A zoomerian mind can't see the fun in getting better and understanding a game; it only measures a game in gigabytes of content. Any """QOL / improovement""" patch made by zoomer improovers seeks to remove any challenge from game to just see the ending.
All in all, it's about a scoffing yet fragile attitude of a pampered little bitch to video games and life in general.

>> No.9966573

>>9966041
>Eternal September
2001?

>> No.9966617

>>9966512
That's a cali white girl thing

>> No.9966621

>>9966512
This is what every currently alive generation has said about their successor generation: the people that came before you said the same thing about you when you were younger and now you're no different than them, just an old man pissing in the wind

>> No.9966628

>>9966621
And that's why life gets worse and worse every day. Motherfuckers start walking on two legs and it all goes to shit.

>> No.9966653

>>9966573
>During the 1980s and early 1990s, Usenet and the Internet were generally the domain of dedicated computer professionals and hobbyists; new users joined slowly, in small numbers, and observed and learned the social conventions of online interaction without having much of an impact on the experienced users.
>The only exception to this was September of every year, when large numbers of first-year college students gained access to the Internet and Usenet through their universities.
>These large groups of new users who had not yet learned online etiquette created a nuisance for the experienced users, who came to dread September every year.
>Once ISPs like AOL made Internet access widely available for home users, a continuous influx of new users began which continued through to today, making it feel like it is always "September" to the more experienced users.
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.folklore.computers/c/wF4CpYbWuuA/m/jS6ZOyJd10sJ

>> No.9966664

>>9966621
Except that doesn't make what I said true. You just discard it in a typical burger fashion because you're conditioned to play devil's advocate and shun any complaint.
It's true that people complained about every new generation like this. Life was becoming easier, so people got jealous. However, zoomers took it far, far further. New generation is the most sheltered one yet, thanks to technology and overprotective, enabling parents; it's the first generation that could get away with living in a bubble of internet and their home, and even living in their own reality (see: 40%).
This is exacerbated by the fact that most American youth is more leftie than it has ever been, expecting more "rights" and entitlements is a new normal mindset.
We also live in an era of hurt feefees. It's not the '90s anymore, people firmly believe that anything "harmful" should be instantly cancelled. Being a little bitch isn't frowned upon anymore, it's basically the default political idea.
All this gave you the modern zoomer. They took it from where hipsters ended—scoffing and sarcastic view on everything they don't like, pretense of intellectual superiority, embrace of postmodernism—, and added a whole load of self-victimizing, entitlement and "ok boomer".

>> No.9966848

>>9966664
zoomers are more polarized than millennials. the left is more woke but the right is more based.

>> No.9966862

>>9962967
You've been psyop'd beyond belief

>> No.9966865

Zoomer isn't just an age range. It's a state of mind. If you're "gen x" and a soulless, resentful, basement-dwelling friendless dipshit who can't into video games because everything is "bullshit" and you need QoL "romhack" cheats to play and claim you "beat it" to your virtual anonymous 4channel non-friends, whom you still can't even get along with... you are a zoomer. If you spend all day desperately trying to find arbitrary irrelevant nitpicky nonsense to complain about in a beloved classic title that didn't matter to anyone who played it historically... you are a zoomer. If you are literally physically incapable of intuitively understanding what "soul" means what has it and what doesn't, because postmodernism and common core education have completely cut you off from any semblance of culture and being able to appreciate beauty without being "objectively" told what it is... you are a zoomer.

If you're 20 years old and had good parents and a decent childhood and managed to make it to adulthood with your soul and internal monologue intact, you're one of the lucky ones.

>> No.9966894

>>9966621
I'm sorry but you're wrong. The "le every generation complains about the next one" argument is well understood but it's worn thin. Zoomers are far beyond merely having different tastes or opinions or trends or a slightly different perspective on life. They are EMOTIONALLY and MENTALLY DAMAGED people who have been cut off from their culture and have absolutely no frame of reference to identify artistic merit or meaning to even the slightest capacity. It CANNOT be understated that this is not just a difference of opinion. What happened to them was not an accident. The subversion of the education system has been preparing for this for decades. These people have no minds anymore. They are literally automatons. I am not saying this as a random buzzword insult. Human beings perceive reality as a story structure full of meaning, automatons and machines can only compile checklists of facts to compare. Children these days are being taught every academic subject incorrectly and every ideological subject malevolently. They are stripped of their individuality by a juggernaut beyond anyone's control, like a boot camp recruit emotionally broken down by a drill sergeant but never built back up again. They end up with nothing but an insatiable confusion and resentment of the world around them because it seems to consist entirely of "noise" they have no ability to understand, so they constantly direct their attention in every direction trying to consume as much information as possible to make sense of it, but retain none of it and absorb none of the inherent meaning.

Research "feral children" sometime, if you have a strong stomach. Children who are raised at the extreme opposite ends of a nurturing environment permanently lose their ability to think and communicate like human beings. They can only repeat through memorization. I'm not joking when I say zoomerism is tangential to that.

>> No.9968175

>>9966512
All you said applies to millennials too.

>> No.9968234

>>9966894
Now look who cut funding for public schooling in favor of private

>> No.9968338

>>9963470
Found my dad's n64 while helping clean the house. He was going to sell it off but let me have it instead.

>> No.9968347

>>9963470
if you count fen 6 as retro I got a PS2 for my 3rd birthday as well as a PS1.

>> No.9968367

>>9968175
see >>9966664
it happened gradually with every gen, but it exploded with zoomers. millennials grew up with 3rd-5th gen, they were fine with difficulty. only true faggots among millennials were that butthurt when they lost in a game and blamed everything on bad game design. I think only Kotaku-tier journos did it. it all started with millennials, but it got normalized, enabled and encouraged with zoomers.
it certainly has existed before, but never on the same degree as today. but you dismiss things as natural because your burgerian mentality tells you to "always be chill", "quit being butthurt", "they're entitled to their opinion", "how does this affect you personally", etc.. you will continue to gaslight yourself and others and dismiss any criticism (because criticizing anything means you're butthurt and angry and hurting feefees, means you're un-American and will be shamed in front of the Joneses). Then you will wonder when did everything go so wrong—only to be dismissed as "angry butthurt boomer" by a new generation of even more brainwashed retards.
I swear that if your country gets invaded, you will still tell people "it has always been this way", "how does this affect you personally", "it's only you who's butthurt", "it's 202X sweetie" and so on.

>> No.9968435

>>9964862
that metric hardly applies. i was born in 1991 and i barely remember the 90's. i was a 2000's kid through and through.

>> No.9968443

>>9963309
Tomb Raider i get, but system shock 2? nigger that has a better UI than most FPSRPGs as of now.

>> No.9968445

>>9963470
most of them probably played through emulation.

>> No.9968632

>>9962962
>you are now imagining that menu funky bass and cars sliding

>> No.9968674

>>9963470
I wanted to play Pokémon but didn't have the handhelds

>> No.9968848
File: 325 KB, 500x269, 1485107988066.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9962965
>>9962979

this, and I think most of the people screeching about zoomers on this board are zoomers themselves. Like I can't imagine being in your late 20s or older and giving a shit about any of that. I'll only call people zoomers when people make bait posts here complaining about games being "dated" just because that's such a sinkhole of a discussion point that has no merit on a board where every game discussable is dated by definition.

>> No.9968867

>>9962962
Go back zoomer

>> No.9968873

>>9962962
>nearly 30
You're both zoomers

>> No.9968878

Genuine question for all of the faggots crying itt, are you boomers saying "I-im still young" or zoomers saying "I-im not a kid"?

>> No.9968881

>>9968878
I just want everyone off my damn lawn

>> No.9968896

>>9962962
>I'm 22 and I enjoy retro video games
awesome man
I love to see younger people get into the hobby, old games are sick

>> No.9968901

>>9968881
I just want a damn lawn.

>> No.9969934

>>9962962
I just think arguing about gens this much defeats the purpose of anonymity. Even when I was underage I didn't care how old you were. I always thought the point of an IB was to share and discuss what we loved, find new interests, and actually bond together like what a hobbyist community should be. No updoots, no post count dickmeasuring, and if you act retarded then you're called retarded.

At the same time I think some zoomers/millennials forget that challenge is a GOOD thing. Half the board is filled with narcissists who either blame the game for their own shortcomings (outdated, bad design, "do boomers REALLY...", etc.) or just cheat to the end since it makes them look hardcore. It becomes less about enjoying the medium and more about numbers. How many games can they beat? How many (You)s can they scoop? That shit might fly on Facebook but it absolutely shouldn't here.

>> No.9971014

I was dirt poor as a child anyway, my games were at least a generation behind. Like I give a shit if someone who enjoys the same games as I do is younger by that much.

>> No.9971043

>>9966894
This anon gets it.
Even if overstated, it's pure cope to say that every generation goes through the same thing.
Each generation in the last 100 years has been a totally novel social experiment, and things have only sped up.

>> No.9971048

there is not a single boomer that wouldn't have traded their whole NES or SNES collection for a generic open world game in the 90s to be honest

>> No.9971060

>>9962962
I actually think it comes down to being born during the technology explosion of the early 2000s.
A ton of people grew up while watching the internet take off, cell phones going from glorified pagers to handheld personal computers with touchscreens, the rise of EVs and cars in general getting "smarter" (heavy quotes there). It really is no wonder why there's a "newer IS better" culture. People will quite literally put up with any quality as long as it's new.
For as much people complain about AAA games being released like they were made entirely by one person in two weeks, they really seem to make a lot of fucking money almost always.
I just wish the general public was smarter.

>> No.9971073

>>9965836
I liked Arena more than Daggerfall. Daggerfall is such a bloated broken mess of a game.

>> No.9971114

>>9962962
I'm 21 and play "retro" games all the time. The way I think is, a good game is a good game, doesn't matter when it came out. I have seen some people on this thread shitting on modern games, and to some extent I can agree with some points, but people are limiting themselves for no reason because there is a lot of great games being released right now.

>> No.9972469

>>9971114
not to mention that at least half of every console's library consists of pure shit

>> No.9972475

Why do zoomers make these posts, do they think if they bombard us there’s going to be an awakening moment where we all magically agree? This isn’t Reddit you can’t downvote dissenting opinions into oblivion. In fact this shit reeks of insecurity, your faggot ego can’t handle the fact that there might be a group out that that doesn’t enjoy your presence, and your dopamine addled brain panics when it encounters anything other than constant praise. Just kill yourself and delete this faggot thread already. You weren’t there, you’ll never be there, and you didn’t beat the game.

>> No.9972478

>>9962967
Feeling threatened by them is real too

>> No.9972702

>>9972475
>s-stop appropriating muh childhood!!
Why are boomers so sensitive? Geez...

>> No.9972779

>>9966573
found the zoomer