[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vt/ - Virtual Youtubers

View post   

File: 589 KB, 2296x3541, 6345.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
764597 No.764597 [Reply] [Original]

Watame abondoned by father, only met mother on weekends, suicidal when young, raised by grandma who had to quit her job for her -- nicest hologirl.
Is this the secret to Hololive's success? I've heard a lotta the girls have some pretty sad pasts; seems genius to recruit girls like this for a position where they can be far more open than usual due to pseudo-anonymity.

>> No.764661
File: 197 KB, 468x736, not watame's fault.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's nice to give these girls a chance to move on from their dark and troubled pasts. Pic unrelated.

>> No.765004

>>764661
It doesn't seem just nice, it seems genius. This is arm chair psychology ahead, so if you are sensitive to retardation safely disregard my retardation --
I imagine it's hard to be a traditional idol if you've been through some shit like that. I've heard idols are supposed to have an aura of being perfect or so; I know in burgerland this is definetly somewhat true for our celebrities -- they're only allowed to talk about it after success -- but I hear it's much worse in Japan.

I imagine the virtual avatar allows them the ability to feel more safe and calm while starting out. Coco was able to cut her mic and cry during that bad stream, so we know there is a lot they can hide via being a V-Tuber.
Once that safety wall is up, being able to hide from viewers whatever you want of your life, and able to disengage at any moment, I imagine their character and past becomes worth a lot more than a traditonal idol's.

All I know for sure is this shit is like crack for me. I don't give a fuck about perfect people!!!

>> No.765072

>>765004
I agree, I really like Vtubers for that reason

It's just someone playing a character and I'm fine with that, I don't want to know their entire life story, and I'd prefer if they didn't have niggers stalking them IRL which seems to be an epidemic with anyone moderately popular online

>> No.765089

>>765004
Sorry, I got distracted -- I meant, in sum, that a lot of talent gets filtered by that expectation of perfection, as well as ability to hide their past through great effort and emotional supression. Giving them the assets of a V-Tuber allows them to have a crutch of sort to gain confidence and security allowing their untapped potential to flow.

>> No.765107

Honestly, aren't we all broken one way or another?

>> No.765183

I equal parts hope and hope not that the back stories to the girls are true.

I hope that they aren't true because Watame, Subaru and Kanata especially are dealing with big problems and health complications. I hope they are true because holy shit, hololive, if you're inventing stories for your characters to prey on our sympathies, that is some Barnum and Baily level horse shit.

It could also be a little of both. Imagine if Hololive asks in interviews if there are any health complications or sicknesses and they hire them partially for audience sympathy points and to make themselves feel charitable.

I don't want to think about all this.

>> No.765186

>>765004
>>765089
Didn't expect a serious post as a reply to my meme, but I'll take it.

I definitely agree. I don't even think "perfect people" exist, as everyone to some extent has some sort of baggage, and if they don't, then that reeks of being an NPC. I know schizos will use their rrats to put forth the idea that everything is scripted (many chinkoids especially will claim Coco's crying for example was intentional), and you have to be utterly delusional if you don't think there's legitimacy to a lot of these personalities.

I think this is a lot of the reason I don't really care for the original, core goal behind idolfaggotry and am glad that's being pushed aside a bit (or at the very least considered less of a focus) with how things have progressed, at least in hololive.

>> No.765224

>>765072
>I don't want to know their entire life story,
I'm one of those retards who do, but not the whole story. You know how it's a nice thing to ask how someone's day is? Well it is no formality or nicety from me -- I genuinely have a thirst to understand and learn from people via their experiences.

I think of people like Watame as human books of sort. There's a lot to learn from someone like her. My brain has an addiction towards learning about people.
I don't need to know every detail about someone or stalk them, but I'll happily learn about their past or consider their character. Or in other words I'm not an obsessive creep as much as an intern of life, or kouhai of life of sorts? I view most everyone as someone I can learn from, if they'll let me.

>> No.765251

>>765004
>I imagine it's hard to be a traditional idol if you've been through some shit like that. I've heard idols are supposed to have an aura of being perfect or so
This hasn't been true in over two decades. Modern idols follow the "diamond in the rough" concept and bake their real personality into their idol image to make them more relatable to the general public.

>> No.765310

>>765251
ah yes, boomer idols vs zoomer idols

>> No.765345

>>764597
>>765004
Because no normal girls with good singing voice and highly charistimatic would actually apply for hololive?
Only autists somewhat crippled by the society applied for their final hope in life.

>> No.765436

>>765183
To love is to suffer, to suffer is to love. If you feel pain you love. Suffering is a gift, atleast compared to the alternative of amotion.

>> No.765469

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcENix2PH3w

>> No.765563

>>765345
or ugly, or old, or fat
VAs/idols need to fuck the producer to get job so a lot less physically desirable talents go unnoticed

>> No.765573

>>765345
This basically. Vtubers are a self selecting population. If you have the ability to become a vtuber, you have the ability to become something better, so that only leaves the people who have other circumstances holding them back. Financial woes or isolation is basically the soft end.

>> No.765695
File: 407 KB, 796x1060, 1613486759586.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>765107

>> No.765827
File: 27 KB, 495x263, 554.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>765573
... wouldn't have it any other way. people who've been through shit are much more fun and desirable to spend time with
kinda that robin william normie quote

>> No.765884
File: 73 KB, 225x165, 1611119200353.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>764597
Watame is sweet, I just wish niggers would stop superchatting her with sobstories out of their own life.

>> No.765995

>>765827
Might be a normie quote but it's absolutely true. Empathy is extremely important for anyone who wants to interact with others or contribute in some way (either through comedy, art, etc.)

>> No.766004

>>765186
>I think this is a lot of the reason I don't really care for the original, core goal behind idolfaggotry and am glad that's being pushed aside a bit (or at the very least considered less of a focus) with how things have progressed, at least in hololive.
I gave zero shits about Hololive before 'rona. Now that I have no job and have some spare time before college I've swirled into the hole through these emotional streams that've come about lately.
Is this a new thing brought about by Corona? Was there always this emotional side?
I've gotten so addicted that I finally decided to learn Japanese. Makes me not feel like I'm wasting time before College while I also get to enjoy them for massive amounts of time.

>> No.766177

>>766004
I don't think COVID has affected the industry in any way besides giving people more spare time at home where they can watch and embrace v-tuber content. It might have had a slight effect on the v-tubers themselves since they as well were forced to stay shut-in more, which might have made them more receptive and willing to share personal information to regain connections lost.

>> No.766208

>>765884
There's a difference between
>my mom just died of cancer :(((
and
>Mothers are so sweet! I enjoyed your stream today, hearing about your kind grandmother makes me feel a sweet feeling. I miss my mother but such streams replace the sadness with a nostalgic happiness. Thank you!
no?

>> No.766315

>>766208
I'd prefer it if they stopped that shit altogether. No one cares, everyone goes through rough shit in life, streamers aren't your emotional tampon and you're just making it awkward for everyone. Be more like this dude:
https://files.catbox.moe/a18pft.webm

>> No.766493

BING BING WALLA WALLA BING BING

>> No.766657

>>766315
I like it if it's used to compliment the streamer while staying positive and not putting burdens on their shoulders, with the viewer's life just a direct object of the actions, not the subject. I think a good streamer enjoys it too.
I think a lot of people just have a bad taste for such inter-personal chats between a streamer and chat due to narcissists and autistic people viewing the streamer as their personal friend.
Maybe I'm wrong though. I'll admit I'm a bit too open with feelings and life; not everybody can, or want to, handle hearing so much about others due to how they process and handle their own burdens and whatever else. Still, I enjoy it immensley, especially when such relationships with chat makes the streamer more comfortable.

Some of the clips I love most from Watame came after people respectfully, and in a non invasive or 'bad manner' -- we all know what this bad manner looks like -- gave her some personal information to thank her or tell her how much they appreciate her. Such comments can build an appreciation for viewers which only helps the stream. Clips like her talking about her family came about from such scenerios.

>> No.766796
File: 40 KB, 369x369, a6d5b36f4491a01c08be6dd5236897de25d13c36da605233112f004a9d616ed9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>766315
>omae ga eigo wakaranai
That fuckin' look.

>> No.767061

>>765827
incredibly good post

>> No.767138
File: 1.95 MB, 500x375, Noa is happy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>765107
Everyone who is born in the modern era is broken one way or another. Life is just one big test to see if you have what it takes to fix yourself and the others and around you.

>> No.767267
File: 15 KB, 281x328, 1608452402204.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>765107

>> No.767487

>>765884
>I just wish niggers would stop superchatting her with sobstories out of their own life.

There was one sick piece of shit that was calling her daughter. Just think about how she felt reading that, considering what her father did.

>> No.767523

>>767487
>calling her daughter
oof
>considering what her father did
no longer just an oof

>> No.767589

i'm kinda curious, how many viewers are simps who want to date her or would date her? i know, exact numbers are impossible, but i feel like she doesn't cater to that and has less of a simp audience.

>> No.767693

tfw there's an actual quality discussion here

>> No.767762

>>767693
It's the natural state of the world, without damage.

>> No.768122

while im here... does anybody know strategies to help with hearing japanese, specifically words/vocabulary you don't know? i struggle to accurately write down words watame uses (so that i may learn vocabulary and dissect her sentences)
as an example i'm trying to get what she said here
https://youtu.be/ukbdvCVHB3g?t=17180\
and i'm coming up with no sensical words
>watame niwa wakachima ta(da?) naa (ぁぁ?)

sorry, i might be an idiot

>> No.768291

>>765004
>know in burgerland this is definetly somewhat true for our celebrities -- they're only allowed to talk about it after success -- but I hear it's much worse in Japan.
nah, nowadays industry plants are everywhere so that they can sell themselves as grassroots artists who were """""""discovered""""""". Shit like the indie-pop industry is crawling with them.

>> No.769515

is it just me or they made her breasts too big for the idol model?

>> No.769687

>>768122
you need to study grammar and read more. there are 3 problems with hearing japanese to write it down:
1. words can conjugate, not just verbs but nouns, adjectives etc.
2. they have a lot of contractions/casual speech variances that can catch you off guard and you won't find in the dictionary
3. too many words sound the same, so you need to be able to infer context and/or already understand other words to be able to tell what they mean

read up genki (or some other grammar stuff), add words to your deck, read mango etc and repeat that loop a couple of times because learning japanese by hearing is 100x harder than reading

>> No.769800

>>769515
>>769515
If anything too small.

>> No.769855

>>769687
i thought something along the lines of this... i've learned another language besides english but i rarely spoke or listened to it.
thank you. i will study more instead of trying to spend time dissecting sentences far above my current knowledge...

i will say i miss the benefits of that other language being written only. being able to pick any sentence i want and dissect it was really fun.

again thank you

>> No.769981
File: 49 KB, 606x621, IMG_0063.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love watame. I hope I can meet a girl like her one day.

>> No.770022
File: 596 KB, 1779x1334, the-rock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh, a Bob thread.

>> No.770045

>>769981
It's harder to find good girls due to their shyness or circumstances.

>> No.770076

>>770022
>TSUNOMAKI ROKKU-DONO!

>> No.770236

>>769981
Daimyos don't exist anymore

>> No.770456

>>770236
Watame exists though.

>> No.770479

What is Watame up to these days? People stopped making narratives around her and she kinda faded into the background

>> No.770528

>>764597
What was wrong with that baby that nobody wanted her?

>> No.770613

>>770479
Well they clearly haven't as your making a narrative right now that she has faded into the background which is false her smug face is all over this board.

>> No.770633

>>770479
being cute and a best

>> No.771144
File: 3.97 MB, 329x502, 1613345531324.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>764597
>believing the narratives of a pathological liar who cries at everything and anything for supachas
Based

>> No.775448

>>771144
watame wa

>> No.776895

>>775448
Kyoumo kawaii!

>> No.777509

>>764597
Which holos though of Hololive as their last ditch effort? the hail mary pass?

>> No.778344
File: 403 KB, 1221x1080, 1612242152501.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>775448
warukunai yo, neeee?

>> No.778648

>>777509
the angel did it without much hope of success while very poor and distanced from family

not too hard to believe she left some words out about how she saw the future before hololive

>> No.779370
File: 35 KB, 359x426, surprisedsheep.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

cute sheep

>> No.779431

Is Youtube fairly good at accurately transcribing the Japanese via auto-captions? Seems to miss some but picks up the majority?

>> No.780499

>>778648
>the angel
Towa or Kanata?

>> No.781087

>>777509
Kiara returned to Japan on a 'one year and you're out' visa as a last ditch to try to achieve her dreams... and then covid hit so that got curtailed hard. Hololive was definitely a last ditch effort for her and she finally got what she suffered in Japan for... and ironically she didn't even need to return to Japan to have achieved this.

>> No.781200

>>781087
Well yes
but Kiara's shit

>> No.782296

>>781087
I hope to learn some skills in College then market myself over there with communicatable Japanese. Wonder what would work over there, fuck me the specifics of my last job made it really fun and I hate these broad as fuck college courses.

>> No.782365

>>781200
Irrelevant to the question. God you antis are insufferable.

>> No.783153

>>782296
If you want to live in Japan cool, not a bad idea. But every piece of advice I've ever heard from foreigners who live there and are happy is to find someway to make money without getting a real job at a japanese company. It's a neat country, and things are getting better wrt to this, but the work culture is still terrible and drives people to suicide.

>> No.783325

>>767487
Chat can be an absolute imbecile sometimes

>> No.784749

>>783153
I like stressful jobs. That and the desire to embrace something besides the west. I'm literally 100% white and have no ancestors who have lived anywhere outside the west for more than a vacation -- I don't want my children to say these words. The west is becoming somewhat scary. There's so much more in thought than the west. Japan, for all it's massive faults, has a society in which such talent can rise up, as well as such homogeny.
Really the last word there is my most serious concern. Do I ruin Japan by going there? I don't know. It's good motivation to not half ass learning the language.

>> No.793391

Sad past = most grateful

>> No.798366

>>782365
>Antis
Whh chickenfag like this

>> No.798465

>>784749
>The west is becoming somewhat scary.
This. I don't think it will be worth living here in 10 years. And I think we know the reason for that, There's a reason why Japan is somewhat untouched by this kind of shittery. Spend 4 years learning the language and developing a skill that will earn you money in any country and you can move there and enjoy a greater life without the dangers of the west and without having the Jap work culture drowning you.

>> No.798560

>>798366
They don't know what any of the terminology surrounding vtubers means, they never lurked, they just parrot shit to try to fit in. Then newer newfags see them misusing terms like anti and believe they're using them correctly. Whereas if anyone actually cared about chicken enough to actually go after her she would be in tears more often than Coco.

>> No.800381

>>798465
The thing is I don't fully give up on the west. My ancestors were among the first to land in America, no slaveholders, and lived as pious people following Christ in friendship -- Quakers. My grandfather owns a farm in NH on some mountains... I can't abondon their work which still stands strong. If you were me and knew the man, and saw his farm which he still works despite terminal illness, you could not sell that beautiful land.
Nonetheless I will not force my kids to be tied down to one country and one culture, especially one increasingly upset with my ancestors and me in recent years. America doesn't care if I have loyaltys abroad anyway, so let me have'em and not worry about all my eggs in one basket.

Still need to figure out a way to keep our old herritage in the family while expanding out east for my children... If necessary I'll cut off the old for the new.

>> No.801016

>>764597
People with fucked up pasts like that either come out fucked up themselves or really learn to appreciate life and what they have. Ame and Watame seem to have come out of their shitty childhoods for the better.

>>765004
On the idol thing that's not true at all, it depends entirely on the person. Momoe Yamaguchi was one of the first modern idols and she grew up in poverty with her mother because her father abandoned them. Pikarin's father is an alcoholic who used to beat the shit out of her and she's done well as a model/idol/Youtuber who, at worst, is just kind of an ADHD weirdo.

>> No.801191

>>780499
Sounds more like Kanata.

>> No.803521

>>801016
Oh right and then you have Ayumi Hamasaki who grew up in a single mother household because her dad walked out on the family. Pretty much all of the classic Dempagumi.Inc lineup had issues prior to becoming idols. Moga and Mirin were both video game addicted shut-ins (in Mirin's case because she was bullied in school) for instance.

There's a lot of girls who get into doing idol work BECAUSE they're social outcasts, lack confidence, were bullied, whatever because, like Dempagumi's producer said, "the stage is like therapy" for them since it allows them to feel confidence or acceptance that they hadn't previously had.

That's likely the same mindset that draws people to Hololive or being VTubers in general and why the best or most genuine ones seem to be the most damaged. They have more to gain from doing it and I think develop a greater appreciation for what they do than someone who just kind of does it for the money or to glom onto a trend. It's not some kind of hard and fast rule (there are plenty of maladjusted outcast who'd suck at VTubing or someone like Ollie who doesn't seem at all damaged but is very good) but I'd imagine that for the most part the depressed weirdos are going to be better because they have something greater than money motivating them.

>> No.807991

>>801191
yep
the butt drum herself

>> No.808594

I love watame

>> No.809829 [SPOILER] 
File: 338 KB, 1083x745, 1613871286389.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>TSU
>NO
>MA
>KI
>JAN
>KEN
>PON!

>> No.809921

>>765995
>normie quote
maybe you have brain damage

>> No.810193

>>809921
Who the actual fuck asked you, retard? It was a quote of what the other anon had said. Literally commit neck rope at your earliest convenience.

>> No.810277

>>810193
>k-kill yourself
wew please tell me you're a watamate

>> No.819632
File: 113 KB, 455x405, im alright.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>767138
based AND red pilled post

>>
Name
Subject
Comment